Why do such great games never get popular online?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Why do such great games never get popular online?

Post by Eckostyle »

It's been bugging me for awhile. I bought Burnout 3 today along with Sonic Mega Collection+ and Midways Arcade Treasures 2(first console titles I've gotten since like May :roll: ), and It's pretty fun. Whats dissapointing is that the online lobbies are deserted. Sure, the single player is nice and fun, but what can be the bad thing about multiplayer? Unless they game sold very low, I cant think of another reason. I know some games kind of have it coming(OutRun2, the near-perfect racer nobody knows/cares about), but thats a little off my point/

Sure, having your buddy there with you is always gonna be better, but why neglect online play? Thats my main question. If anything, thats all I really use my XBOX for, and IMO, it was meant for online play.
XPoGoX
XPoison FreeX
XPoison FreeX

Post by XPoGoX »

No one is gonna be playing burnout 3 online while 4 is out!, hehe
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Yeah seriously. Burnout Revenge trumps Burnout 3 in every category, including a totally revamped and awesome online experience. I remember playing BO3 a week or before Revenge's release, and everyone I played with was hyped for it and were ready to move on to Revenge. Seems nobody went back to 3 afterwards, with good reason mind you
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I just wish there was a way to play BO4 online without live. :(

Maybe I should've got the PS2 versio.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

That's the problem with making every single game released playable online: it's the hottest thing out there for a couple of weeks, then everyone forgets about it and moves on to the newest game.

Problem is, the single player experience suffers because of this. Developers neglect the single player aspects of a game, and concentrate on a feature that'll draw attention for 2 weeks.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

The reason is that a tiny percentage of Xbox owners have Live, and that tiny percentage is then fragmented between multiple different games.

And soon to be fragmented between multiple consoles.

If you want to play online the PC is the platform of choice, and thats unlikely to change anytime soon.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

Diddnt even know there was a Burnout4. Shows how much I've been paying attention to the scene. :roll: