Arwings in......... Zelda?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Arwings in......... Zelda?

Post by Hawq »

Yup an Arwing in OOT
Full info here while over here you'll find a short video of it in action, enjoy
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Wait, I'm confused. Was the model actually in Zelda, or did somebody add it?
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

since it's all gs codes, i think it's actually in the game, but you have to unlock/replace the stuff with it...kinda like the hot coffee mod/hack.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

haha thats great.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Too complex to fool with IMO
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Green Ranger
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Green Ranger »

That is indeed pretty cool. But I have a question, if we started our own discussions on game hacking, what are the forum policies surrounding that?
Go Go Power Rangers!!!
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

You are using a legal tool to unlock things that are already in a game that you have a license to use. No legal problems there to my knowledge.
Green Ranger
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Green Ranger »

Butters wrote:You are using a legal tool to unlock things that are already in a game that you have a license to use. No legal problems there to my knowledge.
Hmm alright, what about the concept of making an English translation for import DC games, or modifiying files in a Dreamcast game so as to access hidden stuff, like what was done in Zelda to access the Airwings?

Now that I think about it though, you would have to make a backup copy of your DC game, modify the files from that, and then reburn it, which is probably warez talk anyway. :(
Go Go Power Rangers!!!
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Green Ranger wrote:
Butters wrote:You are using a legal tool to unlock things that are already in a game that you have a license to use. No legal problems there to my knowledge.
Hmm alright, what about the concept of making an English translation for import DC games, or modifiying files in a Dreamcast game so as to access hidden stuff, like what was done in Zelda to access the Airwings?
But this is not physically modifying the ROM. This is simply using things that already exsist in the game by changing the way the machine loads it via a Gameshark. A translation of a Dreamcast game is different, however, because you must physically change the structure of a file in order for it to show up.

In other words, the Arwings already exsisted in that N64 game, but English translations did not already exsist in a Japanese Dreamcast game. That's where the difference lies.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

A translation of a Dreamcast game is different, however, because you must physically change the structure of a file in order for it to show up.
More importantly, it's different because you are actually making a copy/adaptation of the script.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Is there a way to alter the rom to do this? Being totally honest here, I have Ocarina Of Time for N64, but no Gameshark. I used to have one but loaned it to a friend before moving, who said he would mail it back to me when he's done with it (don't be as gullable as I was).
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Kenichi wrote:Is there a way to alter the rom to do this? Being totally honest here, I have Ocarina Of Time for N64, but no Gameshark. I used to have one but loaned it to a friend before moving, who said he would mail it back to me when he's done with it (don't be as gullable as I was).
Probably, since the gameshark is pretty much just a hex editor(?). You'd jsut have to know where to hex edit and what numbers and/or letters to change it to.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

I know at least one of the N64 emulators has a Gameshark function.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

As far as I know, N64 Gameshark codes change RAM, not ROM. If you can find the part(s) of the program in the ROM that read/write the affected RAM address(es), you could theoretically create a corresponding ROM patch. That's a lot of work, though.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

You are correct; it is RAM, not ROM that it patches.
It's thinking...