Why I won't ever drive an SUV

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Why I won't ever drive an SUV

Post by butters »

I'm driving into town in my little Ranger at about 73-75 mph. The mid-90's SUV in front of me is going a little bit faster. We are about 5 miles from the edge of town. The road is a divided highway, like

Code: Select all

2 lanes | grass median | 2 lanes | grass | railroad tracks
We are traveling in the right lane, pretty much alone on that side of the road. All of the sudden the driver of the SUV veers into the grass beside the railroad tracks, drives through the grass for a few seconds, then shoots out, overcorrects, hits the grass median and rolls over twice, fortunately landing upright.

I stop my pickup in left lane and run up to help the driver. I ask if she's allright and she asks me if her head is bleeding. I tell her no, and by that time several others, including an RN, are around. She was bleeding pretty badly from some cuts on her arm, but otherwise was fine.

The vehicle on the other hand was scrap metal. The paramedics had to cut off the door with the jaws of life to get her out. As easily as that thing rolled I don't think I will ever buy an SUV.

Sidenote: A TV crew showed up and shot footage of the wreck. With my luck I ended up on the damn 10:00 news...
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

I think the problem was the woman driving the SUV not the SUV itself.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Trucks are little better as they suffer many of the same problems as SUV's.
No signature.
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

A lot of SUVs are unstable. Specially the "fake" ones. You know, vehicles that can't really be considered "sports-utility", but are just made to look like them, to cash in on the SUV trend.

I've seen Range Rovers go down 50 degree inclines, with little effort. Jeep Cherokees doing 180 degree turns over curbs and grass at full speed, as if they were just speed bumps. But a fake SUV can be a real hazard in those situations.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

I wouldn't drive an SUV for the simple fact that I'm not a tool who requires 6 other empty seats in a car to feel safe.
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

People think that just cause they're driving an suv, they can speed and act like idiots in bad weather (especially snow).
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I drive an SUV specifically because of snow (and the fact that I can't afford another vehicle). Where I live, we sometimes get hammered with snow, and the road that I live on (when I'm not at school) never gets plowed, and its an uphill drive. Not fun without 4 Wheel Drive.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Why does this story amke me think of an A class thats just seen an elk? :lol:
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Yeah, the smaller sportier SUVs are really unstable. The more... "actual" UTILITY vehicles, rather than sport, are fairly good. Very wide wheel-bases, etc. If you've ever seen a Yukon or something of that nature, they are extremely wide. They have to be to make up for the height gain.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

BlueCrab wrote:I drive an SUV specifically because of snow (and the fact that I can't afford another vehicle). Where I live, we sometimes get hammered with snow, and the road that I live on (when I'm not at school) never gets plowed, and its an uphill drive. Not fun without 4 Wheel Drive.
Why don't you just buy an AWD car and drive that all the time instead of having one fwd/rwd and one awd car?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Tall Israeli wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:I drive an SUV specifically because of snow (and the fact that I can't afford another vehicle). Where I live, we sometimes get hammered with snow, and the road that I live on (when I'm not at school) never gets plowed, and its an uphill drive. Not fun without 4 Wheel Drive.
Why don't you just buy an AWD car and drive that all the time instead of having one fwd/rwd and one awd car?
The fact that A) I am a college student, working only two days a week and B) I have no money.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

I really don't know what people deal is with SUVs. If you don't like them don't drive them. Sure, they're more likely to roll over if you are an idiot, but to me. To me, the greater risk of rollover is one I'm willing to take. 100% of the families in my area own just SUV's or pickups. Seeing a car on the road is somewhat of a rareity. There on average is only about 1 rollover every other year.

My family at one time owned 4 suvs and we have never had an incident. :?
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

But when those people driving their SUV's like stock cars are on the same road as me, it is my problem.
No signature.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

Tasty toastman wrote:But when those people driving their SUV's like stock cars are on the same road as me, it is my problem.
Yes, those people are idiots and should not be allowed outside they're house.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

BlueCrab wrote:
Tall Israeli wrote:
The fact that A) I am a college student, working only two days a week and B) I have no money.
Wouldn't owning two cars cost more money? You could get a cheap Subaru AWD for the price of two cars.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Wouldn't owning two cars cost more money? You could get a cheap Subaru AWD for the price of two cars.
This would only be true if all the cars are being bought at market price. The price of a car that a relative just replaced, for example, might be a hell of a lot lower.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

hearld500 wrote:
Tasty toastman wrote:But when those people driving their SUV's like stock cars are on the same road as me, it is my problem.
Yes, those people are idiots and should not be allowed outside they're house.
They're called women.

*rimshot
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

I will never understand the need for SUV's. If you want to hold people, get a van. If you want to haul lots of stuff, get a truck.

SUV's would be alright if they were used as a private vehicle, i.e for businesses and such, but the average american has no use for one at all.

I would NEVER buy one.
lackofsense
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: dobson just north of your carolines and your other sisters

Post by lackofsense »

and why are their stretch hummers in this world
sense-lacking is a tough job but somebody's got to do it
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

atf487 wrote:I will never understand the need for SUV's. If you want to hold people, get a van. If you want to haul lots of stuff, get a truck.

SUV's would be alright if they were used as a private vehicle, i.e for businesses and such, but the average american has no use for one at all.

I would NEVER buy one.
How about ground clearence? Ability to haul for then 5 people? Ability to tow?

Why are pickups ok? They're essencially a SUV without a top and seats.