DreamEmulationProject: Famicom/NES Edition Released!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
User avatar
Christuserloeser
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5936
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:16 am
Location: DCEvolution.net
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

DreamEmulationProject: Famicom/NES Edition Released!

Post by Christuserloeser » Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:55 pm

In association with NESdev.com DCEvolution.net proudly presents you another great release of our DreamEmulation Project series: This time it's our ultimate tribute to NINTENDO's classic 8-bit system and the incredible scene that takes care of keeping our childhood memories alive.

The image has been in development for a very long time and got support from many people of the Dreamcast and the NES scenes. And it shows: After downloading and unpacking you get an image filled with 370 MByte NES goodies bringing back those nostalgic feelings.

There's really no disc space wasted, certainly not with what it's filled with:
- High quality image menu system (artwork by Mikey242)
- Background info on the NES, its homebrew scene and more
- 32 original classic NES TV commercials
- 57 MP3 tracks, including five complete records
- 180 free NES games and demos, lots of them previously unreleased!
- 230 NES Music ROMs featuring original compositions & remixes
- FSL Menu Theme Selector and six different NesterDC themes to choose
- 110% compatible for browsing the image on your PC too!

But this release is not only a tribute to the NES, it's also our definite tribute to NesterDC: With this release we say 'Good Bye' to Takayama Fumihiko's greatly improved port of Nester, that served our needs for exactly three years now, and 'Hello' to NesterDC SE, the forthcoming update of everyone's favorite NES emulator by Scherzo.

Wait no longer and rush to this page, with more info, screenshots and the download of 324MB (found at the right menu).

Like this one? Then also try our previous DreamEmulation Project releases:
DEP: Gameboy/Color
DEP: Master System
Insane homebrew collector.
User avatar
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Posts: 3819
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:44 pm
Location: Fukuoka, Japan
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Nico0020 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:25 pm

sweet, now if only the downloads would work for me at DCevolution
*The Cadillac of signatures*
User avatar
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Posts: 825
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:16 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by TyBO » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:21 pm

Nico0020 wrote:sweet, now if only the downloads would work for me at DCevolution
Ditto... this project sounds amazing but your site never lets me download anything. :(

[EDIT:] Wait a minute... it's working today! HORAY!!!!!!
User avatar
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie
Posts: 3332
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:47 pm
Location: Montevideo
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 0

Post by Juan » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:26 am

Cool! I love those compilations!
User avatar
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
Posts: 812
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2001 6:48 am
Location: The Netherlands
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by Captain Skyhawk » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:21 pm

Hi, been away for the DC scene for some months but came back especially to release this image. Chris and many others worked for months and months on this compilation. The image is huge, you have hours of fun trying all of it. I'll try to post some highlights of the image the next days.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
.
User avatar
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Posts: 3819
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2001 7:44 pm
Location: Fukuoka, Japan
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Nico0020 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:10 pm

Still cant download it. It gets acouple of MB/s done in like 15 seconds and then just freezes :(
No firewall, no download managers. It just doesnt work ever for me.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
User avatar
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer
Posts: 4274
Joined: Fri May 30, 2003 12:14 pm
Location: Wherever I'm Needed
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by curt_grymala » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:22 am

Nico0020 wrote:Still cant download it. It gets acouple of MB/s done in like 15 seconds and then just freezes :(
No firewall, no download managers. It just doesnt work ever for me.
Alirght. Since none of that worked, try this:
Well I figured out a way to download the files. I downloaded a downloading porgram which has automatic resuming and HTTP support.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Posts: 754
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:31 pm
Location: Tidewater, VA, USA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by hrb2k3 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:44 am

i'm loving this compilation. theres so many things to check out. and this is for homebrew stuff with box cover art and such. its like a preview for what NesterDC SE might be as far as the extras.

one thing i like was the text viewer for the readme. is there a separate .bin for it. i would like to use it to read .txt files on my DC. maybe an alternative to DCViewer.

great comp!!
DC FoReVeR.!!!
User avatar
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
Posts: 812
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2001 6:48 am
Location: The Netherlands
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by Captain Skyhawk » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:54 pm

We used the DC Tonic viewer for the displaying the text files.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
Posts: 2285
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:37 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by Strapping Scherzo » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:13 am

Sounds cool. I'll have to try it out. I'm wondering how it's all laid out and stuff. Some of those special features are similar to what NesterDC SE has/will have. But there's features in this compilation that won't be in SE, so that's cool.
Image
User avatar
Christuserloeser
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5936
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:16 am
Location: DCEvolution.net
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by Christuserloeser » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:32 pm

hrb2k3 wrote:one thing i like was the text viewer for the readme. is there a separate .bin for it. i would like to use it to read .txt files on my DC. maybe an alternative to DCViewer.
Try the Alice In Wonderland DC eBook:
http://www.dcevolution.net/ebook_alice.php

It uses the DCTonic text viewer for Dreamcast eBooks.

The most recent DC eBook release was A Christmas Carol:
http://www.dcevolution.net/ebook_xmascarol.php

Thanks for your comments btw :D
Insane homebrew collector.
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Posts: 754
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:31 pm
Location: Tidewater, VA, USA
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by hrb2k3 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:10 pm

thanks for those links. in DCViewer, the page down and up were done by pressing right and left on the d-pad.

i was wondering if you can page down when reading txt files. i couldn't do it with this project. i know you can scroll, but to speed it up a bit a page down button would be nice. is there a way to do this with that text viewer?
DC FoReVeR.!!!
mink03
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Posts: 786
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:37 pm
Location: New yawk
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by mink03 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:57 pm

i hate colelge internet, it loves to always disconect...piece of shit
crabcakes
ytsejam
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:19 am
Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: DreamEmulationProject: Famicom/NES Edition Released!

Post by ytsejam » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:50 am

Christuserloeser wrote:In association with NESdev.com DCEvolution.net proudly presents you another great release of our DreamEmulation Project series: This time it's our ultimate tribute to NINTENDO's classic 8-bit system and the incredible scene that takes care of keeping our childhood memories alive.

The image has been in development for a very long time and got support from many people of the Dreamcast and the NES scenes. And it shows: After downloading and unpacking you get an image filled with 370 MByte NES goodies bringing back those nostalgic feelings.

There's really no disc space wasted, certainly not with what it's filled with:
- High quality image menu system (artwork by Mikey242)
- Background info on the NES, its homebrew scene and more
- 32 original classic NES TV commercials
- 57 MP3 tracks, including five complete records
- 180 free NES games and demos, lots of them previously unreleased!
- 230 NES Music ROMs featuring original compositions & remixes
- FSL Menu Theme Selector and six different NesterDC themes to choose
- 110% compatible for browsing the image on your PC too!

But this release is not only a tribute to the NES, it's also our definite tribute to NesterDC: With this release we say 'Good Bye' to Takayama Fumihiko's greatly improved port of Nester, that served our needs for exactly three years now, and 'Hello' to NesterDC SE, the forthcoming update of everyone's favorite NES emulator by Scherzo.

Wait no longer and rush to this page, with more info, screenshots and the download of 324MB (found at the right menu).

Is the above mentioned download complete, ready to go? You don't have to put any roms or anything into any folders, or anything like that?

Just download and burn, right?

I made a disc yesterday, and it acts kinda funny. Looks like some of the directories are empty. Like the NES directory, the "games" and "demos" are empty. But "The Advantage" music videos are all there, and they play fine.

Can anyone help?
"trying to wake, from this daydream of illusion."
User avatar
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer
Posts: 4274
Joined: Fri May 30, 2003 12:14 pm
Location: Wherever I'm Needed
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by curt_grymala » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:42 am

That's very strange, ytse. I just burned it last night and played around with it for a little while. The games directory is definitely not empty.

Try popping the disc into your PC and see what you get.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
User avatar
Christuserloeser
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5936
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:16 am
Location: DCEvolution.net
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by Christuserloeser » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:44 am

Yeah, just download, burn and play. :D

Are you trying to browse the content via FCEUltra or NesterDC ? If you are using FCEUltra (Win32) then you need to select "All Files (*.*)" to make the ROMs appear in FCEUltra's file browser, since they miss the '.nes' extension.

If you are browsing the folders with NesterDC there shouldn't be a problem at all. Please post exactly the steps you did.

If you attempt to play NES games with DCDivX though, that would not work: DCDivX will only show all of those files that have a '.ogg', '.mp3' or '.avi' extension.
Insane homebrew collector.
ytsejam
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:19 am
Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by ytsejam » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:27 am

OK, yeah i was just posting from memory. I had tried it last night.


I'm at work now, so I'll have to try it again tonight, and tomorrow i'll post what is happening, step-by-step.



thanks
"trying to wake, from this daydream of illusion."
User avatar
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
Posts: 812
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2001 6:48 am
Location: The Netherlands
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by Captain Skyhawk » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:35 pm

Strapping Scherzo wrote:Sounds cool. I'll have to try it out. I'm wondering how it's all laid out and stuff. Some of those special features are similar to what NesterDC SE has/will have. But there's features in this compilation that won't be in SE, so that's cool.
I see it more like a final ode to our beloved original NesterDC. Maybe you see some features on this compilation wich you can use for NesterDC S.E., I personally liked the original commercials very well. Really brought back those nostalgic feelings again. Maybe it also because I wanted those games so bad when I was a kid, I now I can just play them :twisted:
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight
Posts: 3649
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:26 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Post by Sir Savant » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:20 pm

juarez, skyhawk.

Specifically what wont NesterDC have, scherzo? Dont mean to hijack the thread. :D

Tried it, burned it. Gotta say, those commercials impress me. I like the overall package, and the fact that the school hasnt noticed the 1 gb spike in download in one day. meh.

Downloaded with Firefox and DownloadMage.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
Posts: 2285
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:37 am
Location: Chicago, IL
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0
Contact:

Post by Strapping Scherzo » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:34 pm

Dark Savant0 wrote:Specifically what wont NesterDC have, scherzo? Dont mean to hijack the thread. :D
I'm not going to put a video player in it. The binary is big already. Also, no mp3 music. Just NSFs. Of course, there will be a directory on the CD from which the UI will play random tracks, supporting MP3s, MODs, and OGGs.

Back on topic... this is turning out to be a good year for the NES on DC.
Image
Post Reply