Officials Warned New Orleans Citizens They'd Be on Their Own

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Officials Warned New Orleans Citizens They'd Be on Their Own

Post by AuroEdge »

Before residents had ever heard the words "Hurricane Katrina," the New Orleans TIMES-PICAYUNE ran a story warning residents: If you stay behind during a big storm, you'll be on your own!

Staff writer Bruce Nolan reported some 7 weeks before Katrina: "In scripted appearances being recorded now, officials such as Mayor Ray Nagin, local Red Cross Executive Director Kay Wilkins and City Council President Oliver Thomas drive home the word that the city does not have the resources to move out of harm's way an estimated 134,000 people without transportation."

"In the video, made by the anti-poverty agency Total Community Action, they urge those people to make arrangements now by finding their own ways to leave the city in the event of an evacuation.

"You're responsible for your safety, and you should be responsible for the person next to you," Wilkins said in an interview. "If you have some room to get that person out of town, the Red Cross will have a space for that person outside the area. We can help you."

Read Article Here
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

That's great, and I'm sure they can simply pull the money out of their asses themselves right?
It's thinking...
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

The point is people without cars were supposed to find people with cars to dump them off somewhere away from the coast. It's really not that hard to find a friend who's willing to help you if you allow a few days time.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Butters wrote:The point is people without cars were supposed to find people with cars to dump them off somewhere away from the coast. It's really not that hard to find a friend who's willing to help you if you allow a few days time.
It's kind of hard for EVERYONE to do that but you know whatever.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Butters wrote:The point is people without cars were supposed to find people with cars to dump them off somewhere away from the coast. It's really not that hard to find a friend who's willing to help you if you allow a few days time.
Wouldn't most of theeir friends also be from the poorest areas, and therefore unlikely to have a car?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

I was thinking more along the lines of the elderly who couldn't do crap. Honestly you'd think the retirement homes would have done something for them...
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

I guess public transportation is a foreign concept to them? :roll:
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Tall Israeli wrote:I guess public transportation is a foreign concept to them? :roll:
Let's consider the fact that public transportation is usually only within the city limits.
No signature.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

Tasty toastman wrote:
Tall Israeli wrote:I guess public transportation is a foreign concept to them? :roll:
Let's consider the fact that public transportation is usually only within the city limits.
So getting a ride into town or walking is out question?
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

az_bont wrote:
Wouldn't most of theeir friends also be from the poorest areas, and therefore unlikely to have a car?
Not necessarily. This is America and people can socialize with anyone, regardless of salary. This is America. Cars aren't reserved for the rich. This is America where a poor man ridin in his 93 Chevy can fly down the highway at 90 mph shootin the bird to some rich white bitch in a 05 Escalade who really don't know how to handle it.
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

TreyDay wrote:
az_bont wrote:
Not necessarily. This is America and people can socialize with anyone, regardless of salary.
True. But if you are surrounded by other poor people then odds are you're mostly going to meet other poor people.
TreyDay wrote:This is America where a poor man ridin in his 93 Chevy can fly down the highway at 90 mph shootin the bird to some rich white bitch in a 05 Escalade who really don't know how to handle it.
I thought the whole reason they were stuck there is because they were so poor they didn't have their own transport.

Incidentally, you don't have to keep reminding me "this is America". For someone who complains so much about how poorly blacks are treated over there, you really do go on about how great it is all the time.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

az_bont wrote: True. But if you are surrounded by other poor people then odds are you're mostly going to meet other poor people.
Not necessarily. One of those poor people might become a platinum rapper or NBA player.
az_bont wrote:
TreyDay wrote:This is America where a poor man ridin in his 93 Chevy can fly down the highway at 90 mph shootin the bird to some rich white bitch in a 05 Escalade who really don't know how to handle it.
I thought the whole reason they were stuck there is because they were so poor they didn't have their own transport.

Incidentally, you don't have to keep reminding me "this is America". For someone who complains so much about how poorly blacks are treated over there, you really do go on about how great it is all the time.
Some of them had cars, but couldn't afford the gas. And the guy was going 90 mph and got pulled over the cops beat him to death.

I DO have to remind you this is America. I want you to remember you're talking to an American, so respect me. And I never said America was great. Just greater than your country. :P 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
-Mike Jones

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

TreyDay wrote:
az_bont wrote: True. But if you are surrounded by other poor people then odds are you're mostly going to meet other poor people.
Not necessarily. One of those poor people might become a platinum rapper or NBA player.
That doesn't matter! They would still be poor when the hurricane hit, and so they wouldn't be able to help their neighbours escape.
TreyDay wrote:
az_bont wrote:
Some of them had cars, but couldn't afford the gas.
So... they were so poor they didn't have their own transport. Which is exactly what I said :?.
TreyDay wrote:
az_bont wrote:Incidentally, you don't have to keep reminding me "this is America". For someone who complains so much about how poorly blacks are treated over there, you really do go on about how great it is all the time.
I DO have to remind you this is America. I want you to remember you're talking to an American, so respect me.
Why should you deserve automatic respect because you happened to be born in America?

You are the most vocal racist on the entire board. I do not respect racists.
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

az_bont wrote:Why should you deserve automatic respect because you happened to be born in America?
Go read the history books. Go read today's paper. That's why you should respect me as an American. Always in the news, but whether good news or not, we overcome.
I'm not racist. I'm just telling you that George Bush is racist and doesn't care about black people. And if you can't see that, then YOU ARE the real racist.

And Hawq is a more vocal racist than I am.
-Mike Jones

Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

True. And no one listens to him, either.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

TreyDay wrote:
az_bont wrote:Why should you deserve automatic respect because you happened to be born in America?
Go read the history books. Go read today's paper. That's why you should respect me as an American. Always in the news, but whether good news or not, we overcome.
I'm not racist. I'm just telling you that George Bush is racist and doesn't care about black people. And if you can't see that, then YOU ARE the real racist.

Uh did I miss something here? where the hell did that come from? regardless of that out of nowhere fatuous comment you are right on one thing, the US gov has seemed to have a 'let the blackies fend for themselves/die while we concentrate on the white folk' attitude (note thats an example of the thoughts they must have had there, so many white folk saved first)
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Meh what happened happened. Tragic although it is. i don't really see a way we could of OMG MAGICALY TRANSPORTED EVEYRONE OUT. Besides so what the goverments racist big news. Everyone is no matter what they say it just depends how much you are.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
AuroEdge
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by AuroEdge »

TreyDay wrote:

75% of people in America below the poverty line are white. Blame Bush all you want, but the local officials failed much worse.
"The only difference between the Democrats and the Republicans is
that the Democrats allow the poor to be corrupt, too." -Oscar Levant
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

Hawq wrote:
TreyDay wrote:

Uh did I miss something here? where the hell did that come from? regardless of that out of nowhere fatuous comment you are right on one thing, the US gov has seemed to have a 'let the blackies fend for themselves/die while we concentrate on the white folk' attitude (note thats an example of the thoughts they must have had there, so many white folk saved first)
You know exactly where it comes from. You may seem to be on the side of black people here, but that's only because you hate America. And there are more Americans than any certain group of Americans, so instead of taking side with the white people, you take the side with less Americans so you can hate on the side with more Americans.
75% of people in America below the poverty line are white. Blame Bush all you want, but the local officials failed much worse.
So what? 90% of millionares are white. There's more white people in America, so there going to be more of them in any statistic you put out there.
-Mike Jones

Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

TreyDay wrote:
Hawq wrote:
TreyDay wrote:

You know exactly where it comes from. You may seem to be on the side of black people here, but that's only because you hate America.
? :? are you confusing america with france?
TreyDay wrote:And there are more Americans than any certain group of Americans, so instead of taking side with the white people, you take the side with less Americans so you can hate on the side with more Americans.
Again I must say :?
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers