Copy Protection

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by bender »

hey Rand, any chance of releasing parts of the source code under the GPL?
i'm not very sure if an open source emulator could be possible without your code
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

He cant and he wont. dont ask. LOCK THIS TOPIC
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

sorry but you started this thread and i wasn't asking to you :P
i see open source allways good and if he can release lets say an R3000A emulator (GPLed in the style of fame) or one of the rest 4 proccessors it would help to pcsxdc. A system it's something that involves many things, and those things are also used in other systems. There's nothing bad in a chip emulator
Last edited by bender on Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

DcSteve wrote:DCDAY- what you just quoted me for is definetly NOT wrong, and to this day, remains true. I was wondering why Rand didnt try to get rich off his copyright scheme, and there is nothing pseudo about it. As for ventures, dispite that the protection was only used on the bleem discs, SONY can not take any legal action on the copy protection Rand as it does nothing to harm them and is not related to their suit issues. I have got the answer (any protection will be cracked with persistance), even if its not the answer I was looking for. Please close this topic now.
I'm fairly certain that at some point rand mentioned that bleem bought the copy protection, and did not develop it on their own. I'm fairly sure that whatever post I am remembering (wether or not I am remembering it correctly) was in dev ideas though, so without rand's word, we can't really be sure.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
JMD
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JMD »

I thing everything is hack able if anyone have time to spend to it or money to spend to it. The pbm is more: does I prefer spend hours and hours to hack or little money to buy it.

Games are really too expensive today and it?s more interesting for guys to buy a ?Chip? than to buy 2/3 goods games.
There are a lot of guys that prefer copy for free game than buy. I know few guys that are do not buy any game: just copy.
There is an ?everything (copyable) free? generation: VHS, Music, DVD-R, games, softwares ?.

I?m not sure there is any solution. here in France, all the software studios closes and go to Canada or Thailand: good for theses countries but what?s next?
I don?t like the today (SONY ?) gaming economic model  ?. Tried to play on with Maqiupai but it?s just a hobby for me ;).

I?m a bit pessimist about the gaming industry: be happy, a new Tomb Raider will come this Christmas

NB : first time I post in a thread with Rand : just want to thanks you Rand for all the amiga/dc game (I know) I played from you. Again Thanks.
There is the theory of Möbius. A twist in the fabric of space where time becomes a loop
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

JMD,

You're quite welcome -- it's been a very long time since I've even thought about the Amiga, though -- still one of my all-time favorite machines... by FAR.

Quzar: The copy protection was custom, not bought.

Bender: The code will NOT be released.

Rand.
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

thnks. That's all i wanted to know

amiga rocks, but i was more of ST's :P
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

LOL, have you ever counted the number of "Releaze da surz kode plz thx"-requests you got during let's say the past few days ?

...I mean, I asked you too; right when I joined these forums :lol:

Honestly, I'd love to see a new bleem!cast release via The GOAT Store... Hm, hard to tell which game it should feature though... )()(

PS: There's an Amiga emulator for DC in the works by Chui and Fox68k :)
Insane homebrew collector.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Christuserloeser wrote:I'd love to see a new bleem!cast release via The GOAT Store... Hm, hard to tell which game it should feature though...
That's easy! Winning Eleven 2002/Pro Evo 2 or Smackdown/Smackdown 2. Dunno how probable a new B!EEM pack would be though but it would be very popular IMO.
Christuserloeser

Hm, yeah! The DC really lacks a decent soccer game... Wasn't Smackdown almost finished ?
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

JMD wrote:I thing everything is hack able if anyone have time to spend to it or money to spend to it. The pbm is more: does I prefer spend hours and hours to hack or little money to buy it.

Games are really too expensive today and it?s more interesting for guys to buy a ?Chip? than to buy 2/3 goods games.
There are a lot of guys that prefer copy for free game than buy. I know few guys that are do not buy any game: just copy.
There is an ?everything (copyable) free? generation: VHS, Music, DVD-R, games, softwares ?.

I?m not sure there is any solution. here in France, all the software studios closes and go to Canada or Thailand: good for theses countries but what?s next?
I don?t like the today (SONY ?) gaming economic model ? ?. Tried to play on with Maqiupai but it?s just a hobby for me ;).

I?m a bit pessimist about the gaming industry: be happy, a new Tomb Raider will come this Christmas

NB : first time I post in a thread with Rand : just want to thanks you Rand for all the amiga/dc game (I know) I played from you. Again Thanks.
I'm too old to understand this hacking/copy/never buy/always crack and pirate facination I guess. I like to tinker with the best of them, but I always want original packing, etc. Even a cart to hold in my hands; that's why I'm buying up GBA games for the GC player even though the Revolution will provide some of this stuff.

et... Comment allez-vous? Je suis tr?s fatigu?, et et je me comme je veux dormir pendent 20 heures.

(I think that is close... it's been so long I often mix french and german...the only other two languages I've made a meek attempt at learning).
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

Christuserloeser wrote:Hm, yeah! The DC really lacks a decent soccer game...
yep. I have the Virtua Striker 2, UEFA Striker and World Wide Soccer 2000. Crappy but worth the 2 euros i paid for each one :P (in one of the shops of Daily Price , Spain. I need to go again to get some PAL cases at 2?, ntsc are so ugly :lol:) . Haven't had a chance to get the 90 minutes game yet (i think those 4 are the complete list)
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

I also remember UEFA Dream Soccer (haven't played it but ppl say it's decent), European Super League (sucks), and J-League Spectacle Soccer (jap 90 Minutes, so I guess it's pretty bad).

I agree, PES2/WE2002 Bleemcast would be an excellent addition to the DC.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Too bad we wont get another release.

Nous sommes bien. Je pense. Peut-etre nous pouvons parler en autre temp. Peut-etre sur le dreamcast. Peut-etre..... (Also working on my french, damn french 4 IB!)
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Seeing as the topic is still open...
DcSteve wrote:DCDAY- what you just quoted me for is definetly NOT wrong, and to this day, remains true. I was wondering why Rand didnt try to get rich off his copyright scheme, and there is nothing pseudo about it. As for ventures, dispite that the protection was only used on the bleem discs, SONY can not take any legal action on the copy protection Rand as it does nothing to harm them and is not related to their suit issues.
You didn't understand what I posted :wink: .

I'm also not saying that SONY would take legal action against the copy protection. If I had been in Rand Linden's shoes, been involved with the lawsuit, suffered the mental strain and huge loss of finances, I wouldn't venture anywhere near anything relating to Bleem again.
Across the Universe
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Juan wrote:I agree, PES2/WE2002 Bleemcast would be an excellent addition to the DC.
I think it was talked about. Winning Eleven 5 (i think) was due to be released for DC but got canned.

Did Smackdown 2 ever get finished? are there any screen shots in existence?
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

A football bleem! pack would have been nice, though it wouldn't have sold well in the U.S., of course.

I always hoped that there would be a 2D gaming bleem!pack that supported stuff like Symphony Of Night, Megaman and Megaman X games, the Metal Slugs, and a bunch of shooters like G-Darius and Strikers 1945 and stuff. That would have been some sweet shit.

Of course, the coolest would have been a Vib Ribbon bleem!pack if that's even possible.

None of that stuff is lowest common denominator enough to have been released as a bleem! disc, though. Shit, Smackdown and Tekken III?? Ain't nothing common about those low denominators, they just plain suck.

...word is bondage...
Christuserloeser

Hm, I'm not a huge wrestling fan anyway but that Smackdown pack was finished as far as I know and the game got a very good reputation.

Basicly I'd buy the PS1 game(s) that would be needed for a new bleem! pack.

The idea would be to see if that would sell at a somewhat decent amount before attempting to do other packs that would need a lot of beta testing and bug hunting...

Of course, a 3-1 shooter pack (maybe R-Type Delta, G-Darius and Einhander or Thunder Force V) would be amazing, but then again adding 1 game doubles then amount of work, three or even four require pretty much a full time job :|
Last edited by Christuserloeser on Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

I'd like to also thank Rand for Doom (SNES) while we're at it. My cousins and I used to play that lots while we were growing up.

Also, somebody brought to my attention a certain "Randy Linden" in the credits of a Home Alone game... was that you?
Christuserloeser

Home Alone on SMS isn't anywhere as bad as its reputation... Haven't played the other versions/ports.