uDCDivX v0.1 test, need some volounteers

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

uDCDivX v0.1 test, need some volounteers

Post by Gav-X »

uDCDivX seems to be regarded as the best Dreamcast MPEG4 player, but after looking around it seems that the full extent of its capabilities haven't been documented. I currently have a 74sec vob sample from one of my DVDs which I'll encode at different setting. The volounteers would burn these samples and then report how they playback. What I'm looking to find out is:

- Wether bframes are skipped or not.

- Maximum supported video bitrate.

- Wether maximum resolution = 640x480 means that pixelcount must not exceed 307200 or that neither width can exceed 640 nor height can exceed 480.

- Maximum CBR audio bitrate.

- Other audio capabilities (VBR, frequency).

The first four samples should be available shortly.

P.S: uDCDivX doesn't support MKV files, right?
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs »

Ill do it ... how may i go about helping u sir?
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

Once I post the links to the first batch, download all four files, play them using uDCDivX v0.1 and report back. After I get enough replies, I'll post a new batch, then another and so on until all features are checked.

One thing to note: no peeking in your pc to see what video and audio codecs were used. This is intended to be a "blind test".
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs »

ten four
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

Upload complete. Here's the first batch:

http://rapidshare.de/files/4093230/1.avi.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/4094262/2.avi.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/4095186/3.avi.html

http://rapidshare.de/files/4095611/4.avi.html

The quality is quite crappy, I know, but the focus is not on image quality for now so this should suffice.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

as far as i know it has almost no limits on things like that, it is just a matter of geting everything at a medium/low enough setting balance in order to get it running fullspeed.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
DARKGATE
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKGATE »

:( I HAVE TRIED UDCDIVX 0,1 but never work a video, NEVER.
DCMOVIEPLAYER is great, but the work was dropped.
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

Quotable Quzar: that's the thing, all we have are (more or less) educated guesses. This is meant to have facts. We can find out the maximum bitrate/frequency under low quality options, high quality options then let the end user decide how to compromise having those two extremes. Plus, there are things like bframe handling which we know nothing about.

DARKGATE: describe the exact steps you made in trying to use uDCDivX so that we might try to help you.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

when i say i'm pretty sure, i mean, i'm fairly certain that mekanizer told me that he removed all the limits (other than resolution) to make it as open as possible or something. I could be mistaken though.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

Yeah, but removing all hard limits doesn't mean that every thing will work. For instance, early versions of these rips from my DVDs in Xvid (now I'm remaking them in AVC) had a resolution of 640x480 and an average bitrate of ~1620kbps. I doubt the Dreamcast can playback that smoothly.
The purpose of this is not to find what the limits are, but rather what MPEG4 ASP features are supported and what settings allow for smooth, full speed playback with perfect A/V synch. By the way, wanna give this a go?
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

One more file:

http://rapidshare.de/files/4164753/6.avi.html

Files 5 and 7 will be uploaded shortly.
Shapyi
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Shapyi »

Here are my results:

Video 1: Did not load in uDCDivX 0.1, just hung for awhile at a black screen. Nor does it work in DCDivX Beta 3. In DC Movie Player it was very choppy, skippy audio.

Video 2: Didn't load in uDCDivX 0.1, just hung at the black screen. Less choppy in DC Movie Player, A/V sync issues.

Video 3: Didn't load in uDCDivX 0.1, just hung at the black screen. Very choppy in DC Movie Player, A/V sync issues.

Video 4: Didn't load in uDCDivX 0.1, just hung at the black screen. Very choppy in DC Movie Player. A/V sync issues.

I tested them in DC Movie Player Test 1 because none of them worked in uDCDivX.

See, I don't think it supports XviD 1.0.1, it might just work with XviD 1.0.0. Back to the drawing board, eh? Why can't you just test them yourself? Just wondering.
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

Thanks for the testing, you did a very thorough job. I can't do it myself because I don't have a Dreamcast right now, but even if I had one, the more people testing the better, right?

In any case, there should be no reason why version number would make a difference. Once some more people confirm your results I'll redo this batch with different settings.
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

Meka gave me the best settings for enconding some time ago, you should use DIVX 5.02 and these settings:
-b1 950 -key 800 -b -dr 8,2,2000,10,20 -sc 50 -pq 5

I saved this when I was playing aroung with udcdivx and dcdivx, xvid is very problematic.

Good luck.
Last edited by Pyrite on Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THAN/THEN get it right peoples!
Shapyi
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Shapyi »

Gav-X wrote:Thanks for the testing, you did a very thorough job. I can't do it myself because I don't have a Dreamcast right now, but even if I had one, the more people testing the better, right?

In any case, there should be no reason why version number would make a difference. Once some more people confirm your results I'll redo this batch with different settings.
I'm happy to test anything out :wink:

But you should buy a Dreamcast, they are cheap and a lot of fun.
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

I will, as soon as I get some money (I got a great deal on Shenmue I and II), but for now I'm flat broke.
dream devil
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dream devil »

Udcdivx is nice player but, I look for things more better
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

I will upload a fixed version of 1.avi ASAP.
Gav-X
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gav-X »

Ok, I deleted all clips and uploaded a new version of the first one, please try it out:

http://rapidshare.de/files/4305088/1.avi.html
Shapyi
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Shapyi »

Gav-X wrote:Ok, I deleted all clips and uploaded a new version of the first one, please try it out:

http://rapidshare.de/files/4305088/1.avi.html
I gave it a test. It did not load up in uDCDivX. Just hung at the black screen of death.