new linux install...

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
SadisticSaviorX
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

new linux install...

Post by SadisticSaviorX »

hey guys.

i started reading topics.. and i hear that ubuntu is a good distro..

ok so im downloading the live cd to test out and i was wondering if i can install from the live cd or not..

but either way do u think that it is a good distro for the "uncool" newbie that is me?

i have tried knoppix..i tried Gentoo.. but im a moron and i messed um up.. when it comes to linux i have no clue.. i just wanna try it cuz its interesting. :)
int80h
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by int80h »

No, you can't install Ubuntu to a hard disk from the live CD.

Yes, I consider Ubuntu a good distro to start with.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

I really like Ubuntu, and would still be using it if the 64 bit version worked with my system. For some reason it can't even access my hardware clock...
SadisticSaviorX
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

yeah it cant access the hardware clock on mine either...

but umm.. after the livecd boots.. if i try to load something from the menu or right click.. it will freeze..

does that mean the version wont be stable if i install?
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

What are you running?

I find mepis good for beginners, heck, I am still using it on my sis's computer to make sure she does not fuck up windows.
SadisticSaviorX
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

im running:
Athlon 64 3000+ s754
1gb pc3200 ddr
80gb hdd
Chaintech znf3-250 mobo
audigy 2 plat.
radeon 9800 pro agp.
SadisticSaviorX
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

hey i got a question.. if i have a amd64 system can i install x86 distro? will it work? cuz the amd64 version of gentoo doesnt have my eth drivers..
broadcom nextreme
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I'm currently running a 32-bit installation of Ubuntu on an AMD64 system, so yes, you can.

Aren't the drivers for the NetXtreme cards part of the kernel? They should be present for both 32- and 64-bit systems.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Dark Savant0 wrote:What are you running?

I find mepis good for beginners, heck, I am still using it on my sis's computer to make sure she does not fudge up windows.
Who cares if she fucks up windows? Don't make her use an operating system other than one she wants. And don't tell me she initially preferred linux either.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

She aint using linux, she is using windows. I have her running 98se and I use linux to make sure she doesn't fuck with the boot. She doesn't use linux, and in fact when you turn it on you have to press the down button if you want linux, and grub does not show. I just adjusted the time and the background I am using so she does not notice.

And just so you dont keep telling me who cares if she fucks it up, if she fucks anything up that has electronics in it, or anyone in my family fucks a piece of electronics, I am expected to fix it/replace it. And I find fixing something is much easier than replacing it.

She likes linux, but only slack and only because of the damn cute-ass penguin that comes on the slax disc ass it's default background.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Dark Savant0 wrote:She aint using linux, she is using windows. I have her running 98se and I use linux to make sure she doesn't fudge with the boot. She doesn't use linux, and in fact when you turn it on you have to press the down button if you want linux, and grub does not show. I just adjusted the time and the background I am using so she does not notice.

She likes linux, but only slack and only because of the damn cute-ass penguin that comes on the slax disc ass it's default background.
I just assume you were being dominating.
Dark Savant0 wrote:And just so you dont keep telling me who cares if she fudge it up, if she fudge anything up that has electronics in it, or anyone in my family fudge a piece of electronics, I am expected to fix it/replace it. And I find fixing something is much easier than replacing it.
Yeah, it's really hard to fix windows when someone has screwed it up. I mean, it's not like you can just REINSTALL IT IF IT CAN'T BE FIXED.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I dont like to reinstall, I just like putting the files that are supposed to be there there(is that correct). If I reinstall, then I have to reinstall everything. It is not like linux where I can make a custom live cd/install cd.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Alternatively, you could teach your family how to use windows properly, instead of limitiing their options... ah fuck it, I don't care.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I dont limit them. How can I, it is windows. It is her computer. I just make sure that when she puts on sticky-keys or deletes all her musci that I can restore it for her without having to go through an hour-plus of work. She aint no computer freak like most people here. One time she even tried deleting the program files folder because she did not have enough space for more music.

But anyways, it dont matter. Let us just help another person get onto linux.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Dark Savant0 wrote: One time she even tried deleting the program files folder because she did not have enough space for more music.
:guffaw: you just redeemed yourself fully :D
Dark Savant0 wrote: But anyways, it dont matter. Let us just help another person get onto linux.
Good point.
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

I have a similar problem. Studying something related to computers makes people think that you should fix their machines everytime they have a problem, if you don't help them you are a bad friend.
So I'm something like the admin of the computers at home and some friends.
Since i decided i wasn't going to help them with windows, 2 of them have GNU/Linux installed (basically, a clone of my harddrive, with a very generic install i made using the X-Evian distro).
At home i don't want to deal with viruses, trojans or think in reinstalling apps i don't have, so there's the open source alternative for almost everything. The machines are nice protected for now and it's better for me. They need to learn things but i'm at home to explain and fix everything, so they are happy for now

About my friends it's something similar, i'm not going to search/install warez for them. They're just too lazy and they want everything installed but are not going to buy many of the things.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Bender gets it. And it goes double for me since I am hispanic. Not to many hispanics have computers, or know how to keep them working/alive. One time my dad fucked around with my pc and he deleted the recycle bin. I didn't know where to start, mainly because I had only gotten the computer a year before and I was still learning how to use it. Luckily I only had to set a registry setting to get it back.

Dumb stuff like that. One time a friend of mine started deleting stuff on his hard drive because he thought he was running low on space. Brand new dell(it was cheap, lol) with 40 gb hard drive and using 5. He deleted some things in his system folder and it would not load windows. I asked why he thought he was running low and he said the hard drive free space said only 35 gb left. I asked him why he didnt look at the pie chart(in that status column windows has) and he said he thought the small part was what he had left. lol.

Those and many more are reasons why I have a couple passwords on my pc.
SadisticSaviorX
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

hey i downloaded the gentoo 2005.1 live uni install cd... cuz i was feeling adventurous

and well... it doesnt have the nextreme driver..

when i start up the live cd i try "ping http://www.google.com"
and i it says its not found..

i know that either means that its not installed or not configured properly... and i dnt want to get all the way done with installing gentoo and not have my net work >.<

is there sumthing i can use to check if its actualy installed?
:?:
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

just do a 'dmesg|more' to see if your ethernet interface has been detected. lsmod , will also list the modules (i'm not very sure if lsmod is installed in the livecd)

If ethernet detected, before the ping command, you need to set the net for your isp. Gentoo's livecd comes with the 'netsetup' script to make things easier, if you are on dhcp, just using dhcpd will be fine i think.
After booting, the livecd will suggest you do a 'links /mnt/cdrom/..../install.html . That file contains a very nice tutorial that will help you a lot. Do the links command in one of the terminals and switch with Alt+FX (X number 1..5) for doing the steps in another console ;-)
SadisticSaviorX
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

ok thanks!

ill try that later tonight!