Rez, Shenmue 2, and Headhunter questions

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Rez, Shenmue 2, and Headhunter questions

Post by evanft »

I have a couple of questions for those who have played both the DC and PS2/Xbox versions of these games:

Rez- Is the U.S. PS2 version any better than the Japanese DC version? I know the PS2 version costs like 4x as much...

Shenmue 2- A copy of the Xbox version can probably be had for $5 new at some places. Is it worth paying 5-10x as much to get the PAL DC version, just to get the Japanese VO?

Headhunter- The PS2 version can be found for incredibly cheap. Is the PAL DC version much better? I heard there was slowdown in parts of the PS2 version.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

5-10x for Shenmue 2? I've seen Shenmue 2 PAL for $15.

Rez supposedly has a better framerate on the PS2, but I can't fully comment on that.

Headhunter for PS2 is very similar to the PAL DC version. If you can get that, you could be fine.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Rez runs at 60 FPS on PS2, 30 on DC. Headhunter's cinemas (FMVs) are much higher quality on PS2 (due to the compression used on DC). Other than that, the differences are minimal. Shenmue II on Xbox is worse than the DC version though.
Very sexy hero, omg
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

only one i can comment on is teh dreamcast version of shenmue looks and sounds a lot better with the voice overs. For some reason shenmue 2 to xbox was such a sloppy port. look it up online and you will see what i mean.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I personally found the dc version of Head Hunter better the PS2 version some how looks a little depressed.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

I am responding to the Shen2 on DC.

A friend of mine bought it for X-box when I got it for DC. He liked the DC version so much better that he payed the outrageous price for the PAL version. So yes, I'd say Shen2 for DC IS worth it.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

I have both Shenmue 2's (DC and Xbox). I have compared them on 2 monitors side by side and to be honest they look almost identical. The water in the harbor has a different texture, but it doesn't look better, just a little different. I noticed that the texture filtering on the models (player, npc's) on the DC is a little better, but very little. As for the voice overs.... there cant be any comparison. The japanese voices are 1000 times better and worth the extra cash!

HeadHunter was developed for the Dreamcast and later ported to PS2, so it was made with the DC hardware in mind. As with all the games the textures in the DC version are more defined. Cannot say more...
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

As for the voice overs.... there cant be any comparison. The japanese voices are 1000 times better and worth the extra cash!
Agreed, as I've got both DC and XB version. However, load times on XB are better and not having to swap discs is also a bonus. Not sure if it's coz I haven't played the DC version in quite some time, but I *think* the XB version had slightly better models. Definately not anything to brag about though and I don't think really shows off the power of the Xbox. It does for the DC, but they are also completely different consoles and different specs on each console.

For the sake of owning it on the console it was released on, I'd go with DC. Also for supporting the DC still and better voices. For slightly better models, slightly improved graphics (although not a great deal) and english voices, pick Shenmue 2x.

Personally I'm glad to own both as each have their own pros and cons.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Yeah the load times and disc swap is a minus for the DC version, but the models are exactly the same, no change whatsoever, actually the graphics are not improved... except the slowdown at pigeon park and similar highly complex scenes, also the mipmapping issues (the brick walls), that's about it.