Ideas for Scherzo's NesterDC SE.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

ghostparty wrote:how many releases do you think will come after SE?
Of Nester? Hopefully none. If there's a big breaktrough with dial-up internet on DC, then I might consider making a netplayable version. But that's only if it's feasible.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
Been thanked: 0

Post by gamedudex2 »

would it be possible for now to support the bba?

if you can you should atleast it would have some sort of netplay then if anyone cares to mess with it after they can improve.
SONICR
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by SONICR »

some things I'd like to see on NesterDCSE is support for a button the mimics B+A, like on SMSPlusDC.

support for Z&C on controllers, like the MadCatz DreamPad, that have a Arcade mode. then It'd be possible to have the ability to set up controlls like this; A=B, B=A, C=A+B, X=Rapid B, Y=Rapid A, Z=Rapid A+B, L or R=Select.

Analog stick support.

Rapid fire On/Off option and game speed option set in a menu, or can be Mapped to a Button of choice on the controller and kb.

Exit ROM should be set to A+B+X+Y+Start or L+R+Start and also Esc on the kb

L+R+Whatever button for this or that Menu, like L+R+A for Save States Menu, L+R+B for Genie&other Sub Menus, L+R+X for Map, L+R+Y for Manual&Guides

Kreed grafic mode like GenS and some other emulators on PC have.

Full Screen stretch mode for VGA/HDTV users, so you don't have to see a black bar at the bottem of the screen.

MIDI support for the ROM select menus.
SEGA!!! WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL
jjoepr
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by jjoepr »

SONICR wrote:
Rapid fire On/Off option and game speed option set in a menu, or can be Mapped to a Button of choice on the controller and kb.

Exit ROM should be set to A+B+X+Y+Start or L+R+Start and also Esc on the kb

L+R+Whatever button for this or that Menu, like L+R+A for Save States Menu, L+R+B for Genie&other Sub Menus, L+R+X for Map, L+R+Y for Manual&Guides

For the most part. These are already implemented.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

jjoepr is right. Here's the breakdown:

Support for Z and C buttons:
This is not done yet. Even though I don't have a controller with these extra buttons, I can code it in and let someone else test it.

Analog stick:
Done and togglable.

Rapid Fire On/Off:
This is done. I even took it a step further too. You can configure rapid fire for A and B seperately AND set the speed to you choice of SLOW, MEDIUM, FAST, or INSANE.

Exit ROM with (whatever buttons):
Right now, you exit the game by pressing analog left and start (or the D-Pad left if you're using the analog for playing the game). I'll eventually make it so that you can make it any key combination that you want.

Accessing different menus with different button combinations:
I'm not doing this. There is one in-game menu where you can access the rest of the stuff you'll need. It's cleaner this way.

Kreed 2xSaI or anything like it:
I almost thought about doing this. Just for kicks. But, after facing reality, I'm just not going to do it. It'll just be slow and sucky. First of all, there's the processing that 2xSaI does from a 256x240 image to twice that, 512x480. That's bad enough. But then that quadruples the amount of data that needs to be sent to video memory every frame. It's just not going to happen.

Full screen stretch:
So basic. So done.

MIDI Support:
Maybe. Right now, it'll do MP3, OGG, or various kinds of MOD files. Also, if you play an NSF through the NSF Player, it will continue to play if you go through other menus and such.

As for another feature I'm going to put in... we all know that you'll be able to view manuals, maps, etc. for games that have them. Well, it just realized to me that it would be really cool to view, say, a map on one half of the screen and have the game going on the other half. That way you don't have to keep going back and forth.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

How is the progress going with the 3D holographic option that I asked about in null? :twisted:
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

If you want to make it the best NES emulator available then a proper low resolution screen mode option would be perfect.
drybed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by drybed »

Wow, you should release it now, since it already looks good enough
Are you taking out frame skip? cuz that'll be bad:(, frame skip should be used with the d-pad or analog which ever ones u toggle, and a good feature would be to toggle the analog and d-pad to be used at the same time
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

drybed wrote:Wow, you should release it now, since it already looks good enough
Are you taking out frame skip? cuz that'll be bad:(, frame skip should be used with the d-pad or analog which ever ones u toggle, and a good feature would be to toggle the analog and d-pad to be used at the same time
I actually put frame skip back in until I figure out why Castlevania 3 is not running fullspeed without it. Putting the frameskip back in doesn't really affect games that run fullspeed. They look perfect. But for some reason Castlevania 3 is nearly half speed if there's no frameskipping enabled. But with it, it runs fullspeed but drops a few frames. Hardly noticable.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I don't have a problem with frame skip for Castlvania 3 - it hereby got the official CE quality stamp of approval :mrgreen:

my post missed it though
Insane homebrew collector.
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

Strapping Scherzo wrote:
I actually put frame skip back in until I figure out why Castlevania 3 is not running fullspeed without it. Putting the frameskip back in doesn't really affect games that run fullspeed. They look perfect. But for some reason Castlevania 3 is nearly half speed if there's no frameskipping enabled. But with it, it runs fullspeed but drops a few frames. Hardly noticable.
I haven't had any problems playing Castlevania 3 fullspeed in NesterDC 6.0. What changes could have been made since then to drop it to half speed?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Syd wrote:
Strapping Scherzo wrote:
I haven't had any problems playing Castlevania 3 fullspeed in NesterDC 6.0. What changes could have been made since then to drop it to half speed?
The action in the game, yes, does run fullspeed with frame skipping. But trust me, it's not doing 60 fps. It might only be skipping a few frames, which makes it hardly noticable. But taking out the skipping causes it to almost decimate by 1. Or so it seems.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Syd wrote:I haven't had any problems playing Castlevania 3 fullspeed in NesterDC 6.0. What changes could have been made since then to drop it to half speed?
NesterDC v6.0 uses frame skip.
Insane homebrew collector.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Does Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! run full speed without frameskip? I know it slows down some in 6.0 if you turn off the frameskipping...
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

LyingWake wrote:Does Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! run full speed without frameskip? I know it slows down some in 6.0 if you turn off the frameskipping...
I'm pretty sure I remember testing a little with MTPO. I'd have to double check but I think it ran just fine without frame skipping.
SONICR
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by SONICR »

Strapping Scherzo wrote:jjoepr is right. Here's the breakdown:

This is not done yet. Even though I don't have a controller with these extra buttons, I can code it in and let someone else test it.

Analog stick:
Done and togglable.

Rapid Fire On/Off:
This is done. I even took it a step further too. You can configure rapid fire for A and B seperately AND set the speed to you choice of SLOW, MEDIUM, FAST, or INSANE.

Exit ROM with (whatever buttons):
Right now, you exit the game by pressing analog left and start (or the D-Pad left if you're using the analog for playing the game). I'll eventually make it so that you can make it any key combination that you want.

Accessing different menus with different button combinations:
I'm not doing this. There is one in-game menu where you can access the rest of the stuff you'll need. It's cleaner this way.

Kreed 2xSaI or anything like it:
I almost thought about doing this. Just for kicks. But, after facing reality, I'm just not going to do it. It'll just be slow and sucky. First of all, there's the processing that 2xSaI does from a 256x240 image to twice that, 512x480. That's bad enough. But then that quadruples the amount of data that needs to be sent to video memory every frame. It's just not going to happen.

Full screen stretch:
So basic. So done.

MIDI Support:
Maybe. Right now, it'll do MP3, OGG, or various kinds of MOD files. Also, if you play an NSF through the NSF Player, it will continue to play if you go through other menus and such.

As for another feature I'm going to put in... we all know that you'll be able to view manuals, maps, etc. for games that have them. Well, it just realized to me that it would be really cool to view, say, a map on one half of the screen and have the game going on the other half. That way you don't have to keep going back and forth.
awsome. hmm I like that Map&Game at the same time idea. it'll be toggable on&off anytime right?
SEGA!!! WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL
drybed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by drybed »

Z and C buttons are exactly the same thing as R and L buttons
And can u tell us what the command is to get into the menu to save states and such?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

drybed wrote:
Z and C buttons are exactly the same thing as R and L buttons
And can u tell us what the command is to get into the menu to save states and such?
Same as R and L? I never wrote and code to use these yet, but I did just check the KOS header file containing inportant stuff and controller input. And C and Z do actually have their own values:

Code: Select all

/* Buttons bitfield defines */
#define CONT_C			(1<<0)
#define CONT_B			(1<<1)
#define CONT_A			(1<<2)
#define CONT_START		(1<<3)
#define CONT_DPAD_UP		(1<<4)
#define CONT_DPAD_DOWN		(1<<5)
#define CONT_DPAD_LEFT		(1<<6)
#define CONT_DPAD_RIGHT		(1<<7)
#define CONT_Z			(1<<8)
#define CONT_Y			(1<<9)
#define CONT_X			(1<<10)
#define CONT_D			(1<<11)
#define CONT_DPAD2_UP		(1<<12)
#define CONT_DPAD2_DOWN		(1<<13)
#define CONT_DPAD2_LEFT		(1<<14)
#define CONT_DPAD2_RIGHT	(1<<15)
We'll see. I'm sure someone will clear this up before I even try.
drybed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by drybed »

Yes, Z and C are the same as L and R
When u plug in a sega saturn controller to the dreamcast using that 'Playstation/saturn converter controller' Z and C on the saturn controller act the same as the dreamcast's L and R buttons, and the L and R buttons on the saturn controllers are disabled
Last edited by drybed on Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It depends on the controller. Some of them actually have the buttons wired up as you'd expect (so Z = Z, and C = C). Others have the buttons wired up as the analog triggers. When you press Z, it acts as if you'd pressed L all the way down. When you press C, same deal with R. Others still have a switch to let you select between the two behaviours.

I think the Z = L, C = R thing is just for compatability with games that don't know about 6-button pads. I don't know why some pads can't work in proper 6-button mode though.