that noisy machince

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
gchamish
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

that noisy machince

Post by gchamish »

hey, I got a xbox. damm bugger, so noisy and gets hot so easy. Suggestions on good fan mod?
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Do you know what version it is? If its modded you can change the fan speed, if not you can drop the voltage from 12 to 7 by moving a wire
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

You can also put in a 80mm computer fan. It takes a bit if cutting of the HDD tray and the corners of the fan itself, but its a hell of a lot quiter and if you use a molex to 3 pin splitter you can run the fan at 12V instead of the 7V it gets from the mobo connector.
gchamish
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by gchamish »

ya it modded, I rather not, matt slow it down. As it got a custom hardrive in there already and at 7200rpm they get hot.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Then do as DCFan suggested and install an 80mm computer fan, something relatively quiet but still 12V would probably be your best option. The 80mm Vantec Stealth runs at about 2000 RPM and is a pretty good balance. Quiet, but not so weak that the airflow is poor. But as he noted, it would take a good bit more work to install one.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

Alexvrb wrote:Then do as DCFan suggested and install an 80mm computer fan, something relatively quiet but still 12V would probably be your best option. The 80mm Vantec Stealth runs at about 2000 RPM and is a pretty good balance. Quiet, but not so weak that the airflow is poor. But as he noted, it would take a good bit more work to install one.
Its not too hard or long to do. I used tin snips and they cut through that plastic like nothing. Clipping the corners of the fan took a bit of work because the plastics thicker, but still not that hard to do. Also you need to cut the clips on the case that hold the stock fan so you can actually get the 80mm fan in there. I'll see if I can find a tut on how to do it.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

I didn't say it would be hard - I just didn't want him thinking it was a drop-in solution.
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

Alexvrb wrote:I didn't say it would be hard - I just didn't want him thinking it was a drop-in solution.
No, I know that, I was just letting him know what was involved in doing the mod.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Re: that noisy machince

Post by Matisfaction »

gchamish wrote:hey, I got a xbox. damm bugger, so noisy and gets hot so easy. Suggestions on good fan mod?
That's nothing , My PS2 sounds like a tractor everytime i switch it on :o

If you google "Xbox silent mods" you should get a few results.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

New for 2006! Tractorstation 3... now with slicker looking wheels.
royhubbs
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by royhubbs »

lol, i miss my lil PS2 with the V8 sound too.. vrooom vroom