Processor Upgrade Help

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
oalboukharey
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Processor Upgrade Help

Post by oalboukharey »

i heard it is possible to upgrade or replace the SH4 Processor in the Dreamcast with something like a Pentium...i know it sounds crazy, but.......its been said that u take off the original processor but leaving the Pins on the board obviously, and then with the Pentium CPU, u connect the 4 corners with the corners on the Motherboard with very small wires (not sures which ones) and from that, u have to do something with u BIOS of the DC and u add them (something like that). Can anyone tell me if that is true or if something is wrong on wat i said or can anything like this be done at all???
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

I'm sure that would render your DC inoperable. I don't think the DC motherboard uses true x86 architecture among other things that the games are designed for, but I could be wrong. Just saying I've never seen anything like that mentioned in here before.
oalboukharey
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by oalboukharey »

Well, this can be the start of something new then my friend. Anyone else? Give me all your ideas. Please!
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

No. It's impossible to install a Pentium processor in a Dreamcast. Even if it were possible, it would be completely pointless as all software compiled for SH4 (all games/software, homebrew and commercial) wouldn't be usable.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

Might as well be supergluin a dorito in there.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Re: Processor Upgrade Help

Post by doragasu »

oalboukharey wrote:i heard it is possible to upgrade or replace the SH4 Processor in the Dreamcast with something like a Pentium...i know it sounds crazy, but.......
Yes, it sounds like crazy, and it's totally impossible. You could maybe replace it if you also change/add a lot more components (an appropiate chipset for the processor, etc etc etc) but you'd end having and XBox with a GD-ROM Reader instead of a DC. Of course non of the DC games would work with such a monster.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

No and like a lot of ideas, even if you did blow enough money, time, and computer science degrees on it....It wouldn't be worth it
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

no, can not be done

the only console compatible with normal computer tech is the xbox, you can even buy costumised xbox's with 1.4 ghz celeron cpu's and double the ram

but those things only really add performance in home brew and emu's
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

this kinda reminds me of the dreamcast hard drive thread. it MIGHT work but nothing would support it, it would be really time consuming, and pointless.
wont u be my friend?
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Actually the CPU upgrade for the Xbox does speed up certain commercial titles. It mainly aids homebrew, yes. But some commercial titles will be improve where they might normally suffer from slowdown caused by a heavy load on the CPU. But not really to the point where it matters - maybe if the GPU and memory were higher clocked as well. The extra RAM doesn't help at all in commercial games, obviously.

But none of this matters for DC. You can overclock it a bit, and that can help. But the SH4 in the DC is a custom job, and so you couldn't even use a commercially available SHx chip and have it work, at least not totally as intended.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Well, somebody got the DC harddrive to work. This really is impossible, well, its possible, just ridiculously pointless
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

The closest you would EVAR get to a procerssor upgrade in the Dreamcast and still POSSIBLY retain its functionality would be to swap the SH4 out for an SH5. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe they are "pin for pin compatible".

But that would take an erroneously huge amount of work and wouldnt even slightly be worth the time. Your best bet it a 240MHz 'standard' overclock. That'll get you whatever performance boost you need.

Hell, if matt hasn't tried it, you'd better believe its either impossible, or a complete waste of time ;D.
oalboukharey
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by oalboukharey »

i heard it is possible to upgrade or replace the SH4 Processor in the Dreamcast with something like a Pentium...i know it sounds crazy, but.......its been said that u take off the original processor but leaving the Pins on the board obviously, and then with the Pentium CPU, u connect the 4 corners with the corners on the Motherboard with very small wires (not sures which ones) and from that, u have to do something with u BIOS of the DC and u add them (something like that). Can anyone tell me if that is true or if something is wrong on wat i said or can anything like this be done at all???
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Not only can you do it, but that is actually the entire procedure for it, word for word.

You can also install glow plugs in any combustion engine that uses spark plugs, and it will produce 400% more horsepower and 800% more fuel economy, with no drawbacks. But you need to install them with heli coils and connect your oil pump to your intake manifold.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

Any particular reason why you bumped your own topic by reposting your original post? On top of that you already got plenty of replies saying it was damn near impossible or not even worth doing.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Its impossible. Someone please lock this
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Alexvrb wrote:Not only can you do it, but that is actually the entire procedure for it, word for word.

You can also install glow plugs in any combustion engine that uses spark plugs, and it will produce 400% more horsepower and 800% more fuel economy, with no drawbacks. But you need to install them with heli coils and connect your oil pump to your intake manifold.
lmaonade