What all do u need to Overclock your DC?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ptr.exe »

In that case then possibly, but surely a CPU originally clocked at 200 couldnt go up to 324 even without restricions.

As soon as i get my hands on a 46Mhz oscillator i'm gonna write a guide with pics and simple to understand instructions, anyone know where i can get a 46Mhz crystal oscillator in the UK? i had another DC clocked with a 40mhz but the crystal seems to have burnt out.
Orange_Ribbon wrote:It is also the reason why you can't wear tight pants. Damn anal warts.

Millenium Falcon Dreamcast
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

46Mhz crystal oscillator in the UK?
You tried Maplin?
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

I've actually been trying to overclock my extra one to 300MHz lately, but stuck at fixed voltage. I have the pinouts on the CPU that go to said voltage (1.8v), and because they are all the same, it is safe to assume that they more than likely head to the same WHATEVER that spits out the 1.8v.

Okok, before you go saying "What the hell is wrong with you, you idiot. You don't need 300MHz, thats pointless. get aids" or something to that effect, I have a reason for my maddness. I want to overclock my DC's CPU to 300MHz and GPU (hopefully) to 175MHz, so I can matcht he PS2's specs. Then I wanted to do a side by side hardware demo and finally see if an equivalently powered DC could dethrone a PS2.
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

Hi Morph! :D

matthemodder, Maplin don't sell crystal oscillators above 20mhz anymore, they used to stock loads but not for years. The only places i can find are industry places where minimum amount is 10+ and you need a trade card. I'm looking for an online place that sells them that preferably accepts paypal.
Orange_Ribbon wrote:It is also the reason why you can't wear tight pants. Damn anal warts.

Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

ptr, PM fatheadpi, he is selling sets of them cheap for OCing the CPU and GPU.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Then I wanted to do a side by side hardware demo and finally see if an equivalently powered DC could dethrone a PS2.
Yeah but it still won't work unless you have a very stable powersource and can code 3D demo's
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

The powersource I am unworried about. Neither is the demo, since I believe someone was working on making a version of the delicious hardware demo for PS2.

Either way matt, my insanity always has a purpose behind it....
...well.....
most of the time.......>:D
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

:lol: Good luck to you is all I can say
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

I thank ye
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

The powersource I am unworried about
Fair enough, but have you any idea of how much to raise it by? you wanna be really careful here as a stack of broken DC's may be in you not too distant future.

Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

a single .1v increase would probably yield 300MHz. I assume this since we get get an average ballpark of 70MHz OC without raising the voltage at all, so if we can yield 70MHz per voltage increment, .1v extra should be more than enough, heck, it MAY be enough just to sub out the 33MHz signal for the GFX core signal (324MHz).
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

If you need chips, I got 'em. PM me, either here or at http://www.dcpawnshop.com forums. Don't waste your time trying to use the stock 54Mhz GFX clock, IT DOESN'T WORK.

I've got two chips for the CPU line side, ups the CPU to 252 or 276. GFX side I only have one chip, think it boosts the GFX CPU speed about 25%.

O'C'ing is nice for homebrew, makes stock games run smoother (IMO). I've never found stability issues with 252/GFX or 276 or 252, but if you do a full on 276/GFX OC you may notice the SOFDEC videos are a bit out of sync.

You need a VGA setup to use the GFX O/C.

If you need some chips to play around with, grab some cash and PM me, I'll hook you up with the same chips I use.

Also, if you'd liek to comission an O/C Dreamcast or Treamcast, let me know. I'm training two buds to do OC DC's and TC's right now, hope to have a shop that can churn about 5 a week out in the coming weeks. I can also find universal power boards, shells, upgraded fans, and modchips. And please quit asking me about BBA's, just because I can find one for $30 - $40 doesn't mean you can.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

fatheadpi wrote: And please quit asking me about BBA's, just because I can find one for $30 - $40 doesn't mean you can.
Haha. People always want stuff for cheap.
Very sexy hero, omg
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

pi, I wasnt saying to sub in the gfx line. I was saying IF we could somehow increase the stock CPU voltage, THEN the gfx line might take, but until then, its a completely lost cause even to try.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

pi, I wasnt saying to sub in the gfx line. I was saying IF we could somehow increase the stock CPU voltage, THEN the gfx line might take, but until then, its a completely lost cause even to try.
I see what you're saying... still you're better off with a seperate crystal, the onboard timer chip is a finnicky lil b*tch.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Haha. People always want stuff for cheap.
Yeah, tell me about it.

Nice hat, BTW, I have a few of those myself.
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

**Forget I said this**
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

ptr.lynch wrote:In that case then possibly, but surely a CPU originally clocked at 200 couldnt go up to 324 even without restricions.
Not all CPUs are the same. The SH4 in the DC puts out very little heat and has lots of headroom, even with other things holding it back. I am positive that if the CPU was the only limiting factor, you could achieve very good results with a little overvolting (not yet possible in a DC) and better cooling (only slightly possible with stock case). I mean shoot, 240 is cake and that's already a 20% overclock.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

you could achieve very good results with a little overvolting (not yet possible in a DC)
Morph is putting a lot of effort and research into this so hopefully he can get some good results.

Also DCdev the Yahoo group were saying that the 33Mhz clock controls much more than the SH-4, it sets a clock for the GPU and other stuff aswell, the 54Mhz clock is infact a pixel clock, not the GFX. So even by increasing the V. enough to the SH-4 for it to be able to do 300Mhz, by feeding a 50Mhz clock into the DC other stuff would not be able to run that high and so the DC may not boot.

Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

Ok, I should be able to do this sooner than I previosly thought. I just got my friends old launch rev1 DC (the Dreamcast he bought when the system debuted in the US, and the very same DC that got me into Dreamcast), January 2000 baby ;D. I am not going to modify this one, but the one I had beforehand is now extra, so I should be able to make an attempt on this once I get a better soldering iron tip.