Genesis Plus GUI Artwork

This forum is where you can show off your art, such as emulator software skins, DVD and CD covers; or discuss other art-related topics.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by politoe »

I'll like to see some of ss of the new GUI
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lyris »

http://lyris-lite.net/upload/menus/

^ Take a look at the files there.

Keep in mind the Genesis+ logo in the SEGA font has now been changed.
politoe
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by politoe »

its alright. i know my work isn't original.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

BA- Does DcBasic currently or will be able to support how the genesis+ menu would be set up in the way previously discussed using that 3d box object code which you already developed.
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The DCBasic code can do 3D, just about. Basically, I cheated - I already have a 2D set of objects - a viewport (which handles positioning of things on the screen, and global scrolling / transformations), a scene (contains objects), and a base object class (which sprites and so on are based off). I just added a 3D version of each of those, so I technically have a 2D version and a 3D version (which consists of four objects - Viewport3D, Scene3D, Object3D, and GenesisBox3D). Not ideal, because the 3D stuff is way too limited compared to the 2D stuff.

I have been thinking about how I can add proper 3D to DCBasic without breaking everything that's already there, and allowing me to mix 2D and 3D in the same scene. Needs a bit of modification, but I'm already working on that because I want to add something else that I couldn't do with the existing system (specifically, modifications to the object system to help with the level editor I'm designing, and some stuff to properly support all the GUI stuff that GP/DC needs, like file browsers).

And before anyone asks, I'm not going to release anything until I've got the core working properly, and have the ability to do everything that I want to do. The reason is simple - if I release a version of it, and then change something that breaks backward compatability, I'll have instantly broken everyone else's code. Not good. Once I've made the first release, all other releases must simply be adding things, and fixing bugs. For example, the modifications that I've been making most recently break everything else that's built on top of it - none of my old demos run anymore.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

BA- have u successfully been able to add the proper 3d with 2d in the same scene and modifications to the object system for the level editor your designing?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

3D is still a bit of an ugly hack. So it's basically a GP/DC-specific addition, and I'm only actually using it for the box art anyway.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

Does the DC version of the boxart program work/display as well as the PC demonstation you released a long time ago.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Pretty much the same. It's not as good as I'd like, and neither was the PC version, but it works.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

Does the 3d box code for DC work in the way that is seen in lyris's mockup screens. Meaning, is it blended into a 2d menu as of yet. Also, how much of DcBasic Code is GenesisPlusDC utilizing. BTW... I really like the fact that youve spent so much time on this wonderful emu and thanks for almost always responding to these types of questions.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

So, what's happening here - is the project officially abandoned?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

No, but I've been busy with lots or real-life stuff.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

No, but I've been busy with lots or real-life stuff.
good to hear, i was gettting a bit worried myself. Hope everything in the real life is going well. dont let the project stress u much as you will begin to hate your creation. Let us know whats up when possible!
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I for my part were not worried. Just a bit impatient to hear any word at all.

I wonder if FAME & FAZE will boost the emu to allow an option to switch between software / hardware video rendering ...

Do you still envision at least optional 48 KHz sound emulation too ?
Insane homebrew collector.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

48KHz is way too much. The emulator can just barely manage 24KHz stereo (it slows down when you go that high). It can manage 12KHz stereo, or 24KHz mono reasonably. The sound emulation really does slow things down a lot. As much speed as we gained by using C68K or FAME is eaten just be re-enabling sound emulation.

Software rendering should go back in, but I don't know if it'll work well enough to be playable. Chances are it'll be a good deal slower than the hardware renderer. I would guess around 20FPS, maybe 30FPS if you disabled sound. Should be fine for games that don't work properly with the hardware renderer, although it'll be nowhere near as smooth. I can certainly think of a load of ways to speed the thing up, but short of rewriting the thing it's still going to be slow.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

There may now be more people working on this project.
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

What? Can you tell us anything more?
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

The team supposedly consists of Blackaura, Ron, and Fox68k now. Im more interested in knowing if anyone of the work done in this thread is somehow going to see its way into a build because people @ dciberia started making a crappy gui in spanish for this.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

At the moment, I'm still going to go with the artwork in this thread. Seems much nicer. And it's nothing at all like NesterDC (the old ones), or the older version of Genesis Plus (which I didn't much like anyway).

That said, I'm probably going to have to start thinking about adding a Spanish translation, or at least the ability to translate the GUI into other languages. Good thing I'd already started thinking about that.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Not a bad thing to have the option to translate the menus to Portoguese or Spanish, definity can't be wrong :)

I really liked the artwork of GPDCv01. Of course the UI technically could have been better but it's been the standard for DC emus back in those days so there's absolutly nothing to complain about.

If this new GUI+Artwork gets done it'll even beat the ones of DreamSNES and NesterSE )()(
Insane homebrew collector.