idea: a PVR tutorial with a little twist

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

idea: a PVR tutorial with a little twist

Post by q_006 »

....well sorta. Right now I'm finishing up my CS degree.... finally. Later though I would like to make some PVR tutorials that mirror Nehe tutorials. I"m hoping that a) it would be easier for people trying to get into PVR coding and b) it would be easier to port OGL or OGL ES to KOS. I"m not saying this will happen now, but in a few months when I have real time and my head is not spinnning.

So I'm wondering are there any documents or site (I've (or tried to) read Marcus' already) that can explain (plainly and detailed) how this version PVR works? I'd to look at them.

I remember BlueCrab having some tutorials. Maybe we can get some more in the meantime?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I'd love to make more tutorials, however, I hardly ever have time to do that kind of stuff now.

I'll try to make a few this summer, but no promises. :wink:
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 »

Thanks, of course since you're so busy someone else could be provide a few :D
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

If you're looking to make these tutorials to do the same things as the NeHe tutorials, you might want to look at KGL and KGL-X. That wouldn't be the same thing as actual PVR tutorials, but if you're familiar with OpenGL then the KGL source should show you what you're looking for, since it uses the PVR API internally.
q_006
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by q_006 »

now i'm going to go offtopic on my topic temporarily.

since you mentioned that 138, i wonder about porting OGL to the DC/KOS. It seems that PowerVR had a OGL implementation that worked with their drivers and the new PVR they are making for mobile will use OGL ES as well. shouldn't this mean that we can get the 90 - 100% of the OGL or OGL ES ported to work for the DC?

also thank you for the tip, hopefully the transition won't result in redundant code.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

They did have a OGL wrapper for Series 2 (in their Windows drivers) that let it play OGL games. I just don't know how much of a hit you'd take that way, or how compatible it would end up being.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.