Batman Begins

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by greay »

What Miller did with Year One was: "let's retell Batman's origin, but this time better". You can't really fault them for not staying true to the story when the comics themselves don't even do that.

As far as I can tell, Batman Begins, while not a direct adaptation, is largely based on Year One. The stories don't line up (at least in the comics) because the character doesn't line up. As time went on, Batman became much darker, more obsessive. At the same time, a much richer character. After a point, his origin just didn't make any sense anymore. The way it went down, he wouldn't turn into the character he'd become. So there was a need to revise the history.

And it just makes for a better story.

There gets to be a point where the shackles of maintaining continuity begin to prevent the authors from doing what they're there to do: tell a good story.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Well, I was under the impression that Warner Bros was basicly re-launching the Batman series, kinda like how Konami relaunched the Castlevania series on PS2 with Lament of Innocence. Setting up the whole backstory again to build onto. But...I've been wrong before... (just that one time :wink: )
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

ASCIIN wrote:saw it today, seemed more like a chick flick to me, noone really cares about batman for his emotion saga blah blah blah its all about the gagets and blantently homosexual relationship with robin, screw katie homes.
You watch the homo bat/robin action & I will gladly screw katie holmes
Impeccable ian wrote:cant any one see how FUKKING stupid the new batmobile is??? :o

jesus christ is frikken sucks :x

http://www.1966batmobile.com/Ontheroad.jpg now tHAT is a batmobile :P
You think the new batmobile sucks eh? or are you mad that all american frims approached to build it said it couldnt be done so a British firm built it :P it was designed from the start as a batmobile as well no stickin bits on a regular car here, heh american firms sayin the reverse bits at the front couldnt be done then we built it :lol:
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
area
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by area »

Hawq wrote:
ASCIIN wrote:saw it today, seemed more like a chick flick to me, noone really cares about batman for his emotion saga blah blah blah its all about the gagets and blantently homosexual relationship with robin, screw katie homes.
You watch the homo bat/robin action & I will gladly screw katie holmes
Impeccable ian wrote:cant any one see how FUKKING stupid the new batmobile is??? :o

jesus christ is frikken sucks :x

http://www.1966batmobile.com/Ontheroad.jpg now tHAT is a batmobile :P
You think the new batmobile sucks eh? or are you mad that all american frims approached to build it said it couldnt be done so a British firm built it :P it was designed from the start as a batmobile as well no stickin bits on a regular car here, heh american firms sayin the reverse bits at the front couldnt be done then we built it :lol:
Someone watches Top Gear :P
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

The Tumbler is neat, but some of it is ridiculous.
Like the whole 30 second shift just so you can fire a missle. That could be taken care of with the main console, like every other task. It seemed a bit pointless.
I still like the batmobile from the first tim burton movie, and the animated series. Maybe not as practicle as the Tumbler, but they just look cool.
The Tumbler looks like a vehicle from the U.S. Army.
No signature.
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

Love the movie very much. So much so, I might see it again tonight. It would be my 1st time seeing a movie twice while its still in theaters. yepp, its that good. Is it the best superhero movie ever? I wouldn't say so. X2 and spidey 2 take that prize.

Whoever said the new WB cartoon is better than the one from the 90s has got to be kidding. Batman TAS is prolly the best "cartoon" series ever made.

Also, I absolutely loved the beginning with all the flying bats. The sound design was great. and leaving the "batman begins" title for the very end was a nice touch.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Batman Returns freakin' pwnt. Of course, I say that about anything with Christopher Walken in it.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Godfearing greay wrote: Is it actually based on Year One? I seem to remember hearing that.
Way I heard it, it is - I haven't sen it yet myself though :|

The new batmobile is definitely 'inspired' by Dark Knight Returns though
ASCIIN wrote: noone really cares about batman for his emotion saga blah blah blah its all about the gagets and blantently homosexual relationship with robin, screw katie homes.

...just because that picture is worth spamming at any given opportunity...
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Dr Wily wrote:The new batmobile is definitely 'inspired' by Dark Knight Returns though
I had considered that possibility as well. If this series IS setting up for an eventual DKR film (which I don't think it is), it's a shame that it won't serve up as much of a surprise to see the tanked-out Batmobile.

I enjoyed the flick; certainly he best Batman film so far (I'd give the Prince-less Returns the close second). Oldman surprised me by playing an excellent Gordon. Michael Caine was a perfect Alfred, and I enjoyed Morgan Freeman's character (Fox) as well.

I was a bit surprised at how quickly Ras - a major recurring character - was dispatched... perhaps he's not really dead. And wasn't he an Arab or Egyptian in the comics (that's a question, not a complaint)?

I think a good model for the new series could run something like:

Batman Begins
A film introducing Joker, 2-Face, and Robin
Death In The Family/Lonely Place Of Dying/Killing Joke
Knightfall Saga w/Bane
Dark Knight Returns
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

impetus wrote: I was a bit surprised at how quickly Ras - a major recurring character - was dispatched... perhaps he's not really dead. And wasn't he an Arab or Egyptian in the comics (that's a question, not a complaint)?
Huh? Are you referring to the fact that the man who carried the title of Ras in the beginning of the movie died, or the fact that Liam Neeson bit it at the end?
Either way, Ras al Ghul is an idea. You can't kill an idea.

And I hear some people complaining about the fight sequences.
What? I think Christopher Nolan did an excellent job. He brought in the camera tight so all you see is feet and fists and elbows flying giving the fight a real disoriented visceral feel. This ain't ballet, this is balls to the wall ass kicking.
No signature.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

Just watched it today, and i have to say it is the best batman film of them all, it was so well put together, now i just hope the new superman movie is just as good :D , since then we might get to see batman vs superman :mrgreen: .
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

toastman wrote:Huh? Are you referring to the fact that the man who carried the title of Ras in the beginning of the movie died, or the fact that Liam Neeson bit it at the end?
Wasn't he a specific person in the comics? (Maybe not, but I had thought so)
Safety in Nimbus
Revenge Therapist
Revenge Therapist

Post by Safety in Nimbus »

Saw it on opening day and loved it. Definetly the best Batman film w/ Batman Returns as a close second. Everybody played their role perfectly.

The new Ghost Rider film should be awesome. Now If only their was a film about the Silver Surfer or Green Lantern. That would own.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

impetus wrote:
toastman wrote:Huh? Are you referring to the fact that the man who carried the title of Ras in the beginning of the movie died, or the fact that Liam Neeson bit it at the end?
Yes he was & he's hard to make stay dead, just bung him in a Lazerous pit & hey presto good as new, though a bit mad for a little bit till he calms down
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

impetus wrote:
But he doesn't have to be as Ra's al Ghul means "The Demon's Head". Clearly more of a title than actual name.
No signature.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

I saw this yesterday and thought it was excellent. The cast were all superb (apart from Katie Holmes) and the realistic, believable setting made the movie that much more enjoyable. It's obviously set up for a sequel and I can't wait!
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

forgive me for my ignorance, but does Fox actually know what bruce wayne does?

I'm figuring yes, since he prolly saw the tumbler on the news.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Compacho, you answered your question the way I would have. ;)
Hawq wrote:
impetus wrote:
Yes he was & he's hard to make stay dead, just bung him in a Lazerous pit & hey presto good as new, though a bit mad for a little bit till he calms down
OK, that's how I saw it as well.
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

Hawq wrote:
impetus wrote:
I hope they address that Ra's Al Ghul has lived for almost a millenium and that he's pretty much immortal in upcoming flicks. It'd make for an interesting twist, IMO...

They got Lucius Fox's origin "messed up" by comic standards. But this is probably the only time in movie and comic book history that the character's origin in the movie was much better than the one in the books.