libmp3 visualizations?

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

libmp3 visualizations?

Post by Warmtoe »

Does anyone know how to get visualization type information out of libmp3 on the DC? I am trying to tie some graphical output up with music being played - not sure how to do it...
quarn
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: libmp3 visualizations?

Post by quarn »

Warmtoe wrote:Does anyone know how to get visualization type information out of libmp3 on the DC? I am trying to tie some graphical output up with music being played - not sure how to do it...
I'm not sure exactly what you mean with "visualization type information"... Beat detection? Spectrum analysis? Oscilloscope waveform?

If beat detection and spectrum analysis is built in into libmp3 I do not know (probably not), but plotting the audio buffer that you send to the sound chip would give you the oscilloscope waveform, fourier transforming that buffer would give you a spectrum analysis and here are some tips for beat detection.

Have fun! :)
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer
Been thanked: 0

Re: libmp3 visualizations?

Post by Warmtoe »

quarn wrote:
Warmtoe wrote:Does anyone know how to get visualization type information out of libmp3 on the DC? I am trying to tie some graphical output up with music being played - not sure how to do it...
I'm not sure exactly what you mean with "visualization type information"... Beat detection? Spectrum analysis? Oscilloscope waveform?

If beat detection and spectrum analysis is built in into libmp3 I do not know (probably not), but plotting the audio buffer that you send to the sound chip would give you the oscilloscope waveform, fourier transforming that buffer would give you a spectrum analysis and here are some tips for beat detection.

Have fun! :)
Yeah - I guess beat detection is what I'm after... thanks!
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

If you're also looking to do spectrum analysis, you can find code that accomplishes this in XMMS. I did this for the NSF player feature of the forthcoming NesterDC SE.