Ideas for Scherzo's NesterDC SE.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
lackofsense
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Location: dobson just north of your carolines and your other sisters
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by lackofsense »

perhaps a sticky
sense-lacking is a tough job but somebody's got to do it
s3ga
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by s3ga »

LyingWake wrote:We have a lot of topics for NesterDC SE. Creating another will just end up in more unorganized scattered information.
Not if the topic is locked, stickied, and only used for one purpose -- as a compilation of requests for scherzo to look over. The idea is the complete opposite of unorganized or scattered.

Remember, it was scherzo who requested a compiled list. While this is a useful idea, there are now two different and incomplete lists for him to look over. They're also buried on page 12 of this thread, which certainly wouldn't win any organization awards. A single up to date list where he doesn't have to flip through a thread comparing different lists would help to save him time, and I think we can all agree that saving his time is important.

I highly doubt this is a big deal for scherzo, but I believe he expects just a little help from the community, since we're the ones making requests of his personal time to implement the features we want.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I should just put up a list on my "site" that list everything I know that I have to do. Like a public TODO list. And as I finish things, I'll check 'em off.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

s3ga wrote:Not if the topic is locked, stickied, and only used for one purpose -- as a compilation of requests for scherzo to look over. The idea is the complete opposite of unorganized or scattered.

Remember, it was scherzo who requested a compiled list. While this is a useful idea, there are now two different and incomplete lists for him to look over. They're also buried on page 12 of this thread, which certainly wouldn't win any organization awards. A single up to date list where he doesn't have to flip through a thread comparing different lists would help to save him time, and I think we can all agree that saving his time is important.

I highly doubt this is a big deal for scherzo, but I believe he expects just a little help from the community, since we're the ones making requests of his personal time to implement the features we want.
Well put. I agree with scherzo's above post, I think it would be a lot easier to whip up a really quick page and check them off as he goes though them.
impact135
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by impact135 »

super mario bros 3 and little nemo the dream master are not emulated properly on 7.1

on the far right of the screen its all garbled and doesnt look right.
TwinMill
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by TwinMill »

super mario bros 3 is like that on a real nes. i can't speak for little nemo, but i'm pretty sure its the same.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

It also happens on a real NES. The only way to "fix" it is by clipping the left and/or right sides of the screen.

By the way, 2 (more) suggestions for scherzo: if/when you implement the clipping, make it a bit customizable. Some games only need the right side clipped, some only need the left side clipped, and the amount of clipping may vary also. Clipping 8 pixel collumns is enough for some games, but Kirby's Adventure needs clipping on the 16 pixel collumns at the left side of the screen.

I had suggested that you try implementing the 2xSaI filter, but now I changed my mind. The Elsemi's SuperScale filter from Mame32 Plus is a lot sharper than 2xSaI, looks great on games with simple graphics (like all NES games), and is much faster than 2xSaI. I think you may be able to implement it with maybe a little frameskipping.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Fragger wrote:
It also happens on a real NES. The only way to "fix" it is by clipping the left and/or right sides of the screen.

By the way, 2 (more) suggestions for scherzo: if/when you implement the clipping, make it a bit customizable. Some games only need the right side clipped, some only need the left side clipped, and the amount of clipping may vary also. Clipping 8 pixel collumns is enough for some games, but Kirby's Adventure needs clipping on the 16 pixel collumns at the left side of the screen.

I had suggested that you try implementing the 2xSaI filter, but now I changed my mind. The Elsemi's SuperScale filter from Mame32 Plus is a lot sharper than 2xSaI, looks great on games with simple graphics (like all NES games), and is much faster than 2xSaI. I think you may be able to implement it with maybe a little frameskipping.
You can reposition the "screen" however you want, so if you want to clip the right side in SMB3, then go for it.

Thanks for the info on Elsemi's SuperScale. That's one I never heard of. I'll check it out.
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

I'll dream about the final release again if it would help...?
Sega of Japan wrote:Offline - No confusion! No Boring! No Silence!
Online - No Loneliness! No Typing!
Skywalker
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Skywalker »

Man, I just found out about this (been out of the DC scene for a while). I don't know how you guys haven't gone completely crazy waiting for this. I can't fucking wait for it. This will be the best emulator ever for any system, I can tell. Scherzo, you kick ass. I wish there were more people like you in the community. We'd have far less emulators and homebrew games that never get past the demo stage...
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I personally think the lists are basically the same, only mine a little more detailed.

The topics should be merged. Thats what I have to say.

I went through the other topics, they just reiterate what was said here. I did find some new stuff, but reviewed it and it was similar to stuff on my list.

I updated my list. Hope this helps Scherzo.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Dark Savant0 wrote:Hope this helps Scherzo.
Yeah, this helps a lot and saves me time. Now I only have two or three main posts to look at again instead of pages and pages of null worthy junk (yes, I know I'm mostly to blame).

I'm going to try to combine the lists and get a single list up on my site over the next couple of days.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I will update when necessary.
s3ga
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by s3ga »

When I first compared the lists, the disable full screen stretch option is the only item I found that I didn't see on both lists. Whether I missed it, or whether you added it later really doesn't matter as long as scherzo makes sense of everything.

I just went over your updated list and it's lookin' good, Dark Savant0. The "edited through..." idea is a good one.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

I'm even more interested in your release of the PC version of Nester SE :)
Will that be released at the same time as well?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

nakamichi wrote:I'm even more interested in your release of the PC version of Nester SE :)
Will that be released at the same time as well?
I'd like to do it together but I've already taken forever for just the DC version. I'm not sure yet.
DARKGATE
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKGATE »

)()( SCHERZO the emu status percent for got the final version?

WE see it at the end of JULY? :|
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Uh, I think the answer to your question is... If we say that when I first started was 0% and when I finish will be 100%, then I'd say I'm around 70% done.

If I can get back into the swing of things, I think the end of August would be a safer bet considering I'll be moving at the end of July.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

OH NO! where are you moving to,scherzo?
Have you played dreamcast today?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Nowhere drastic. Probably just closer to work to cut down on the drive there.