Revolution won't support High-Def

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by butters »

scherzo wrote:This makes me think of the DS. To me, the resolutions of the individual screens is not a big enough improvement from the GBA.
They aren't supposed to be...
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Butters wrote:
scherzo wrote:This makes me think of the DS. To me, the resolutions of the individual screens is not a big enough improvement from the GBA.
They aren't supposed to be...
Well, I wanted them to be, darn it.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

I couldn't care less. I don't have an HDTV now and I won't for at least another 5 years

HDTV's are practically non existant in the UK
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Dr Wily wrote:rofl at IGNs news reporting which has the entire first page of the article entirely unrelated to the headline, then hidden halfway through page 2 is their 'source' on this 'news' - a Customer Service email, and stuck at the end of page 2 their admission "Nintendo has not yet confirmed what kind of output Revolution will feature."
The Article also wrote: "It is accurate that at this time we will not support high-definition [on Revolution]," confirms Nintendo of America's vice president of corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

"we will not support at this time" != "will never support" and certainly does not mean "will have no capability to support" - especially as the revolution is at this moment of time vapourware.

Nintendo don't support online play for the GC, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

If you notice the fact that immediately after their quote from vice president of corporate affairs IGN state "Nintendo has not yet confirmed what kind of output Revolution will feature." essentially undermines the entire article as purely speculative guesswork.

Not news, and not facts. Guesswork.

Yet apparently because it is on IGN it carries more credibility than some of those crazy mockups of VR helmets etc?

Western gaming media is so crooked, corrupt, lazy and biased it isn't even funny :?
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Dr Wily wrote:Yet apparently because it is on IGN it carries more credibility than some of those crazy mockups of VR helmets etc?
Maybe the people would listen to you if you werent such a jackass about it. :roll:
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Random_Troll wrote:
Dr Wily wrote:Yet apparently because it is on IGN it carries more credibility than some of those crazy mockups of VR helmets etc?
Maybe the people would listen to you if you werent such a jackass about it. :roll:
I still wouldn't :lol:
racketboy
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by racketboy »

Sorry for the n00b question, but if this is true, what's the best video connection you would have? S-video? No component?

While I might not have an HDTV now, I'm sure I will before I would ditch the system...
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

Luriden wrote:Meh, don't care. I don't have a HDTV and don't have a reason to get one.
Exactly how I feel, only a small percentage of people actualy own a HD tv.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Back in 1998 only a small percentage of households had a DVD player. By 2000 they were in a good majority of households, and today they can be cheaper than a VCR. Who's to say HDTVs won't catch on quick?
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

No HDTV (720p compat and above) means you can use component video, just you won't get HD resolution. You'll get progressive scan (480p) if the game supports it. Regular TV is processed at 480i, progressive just means the scanning rate is changed; it draws the whole screen in one frame as opposed to alternating. 2x the lines = better picture quality.
Very sexy hero, omg
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

Butters wrote:Back in 1998 only a small percentage of households had a DVD player. By 2000 they were in a good majority of households, and today they can be cheaper than a VCR. Who's to say HDTVs won't catch on quick?
I never said that HD's wouldn't catch on. I personaly would like on myself if they weren't so bloody expensive. I'm just saying as it is HD isn't that big in the US.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Awesome. I think they should make it RF only just to piss people off.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

Who says you gotta have a HDTV? You can use a PC monitor also
HomerCIDAL
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by HomerCIDAL »

DVD players are fairly simple devices compared to a HDTV set. The screen is what is costly not the electronics that go into it. I don't see HDTV getting mainstream for another 5+ years because of the pricing strategy. If you consider that it has already been stated that the Revolution have the ability to connect to a television or a monitor, that would imply that it does have some rudimentary HD features, at least 480p which still makes games look pretty good on a console.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Whether or not the rev will support hdtv or not will not affect me buying the console. IMo, it already has enough going for it without a feature that most proly won;t use.

And I'm sure that just like in the past with the ps2 and the dvd format, that as more and more next gen consoles support hdtv, that it will catch on among households. It worked for dvd and the japanese. Correct me if wrong, but prior to the ps's launch in japan, dvd hadn't got on. It wasn't til after sony made it affordable with the ps2 that it really became the standard. IMO, that is what sony is doing now with the blue ray. Offering new technology at a affordable price with their already established console. Sounds smart to me.