USB <-> DC High speed Cable Coders released

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
bizzle
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by bizzle »

Damnit!
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

Xylene wrote:Damnit!
My thoughts exactly.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Re: Sigh...

Post by doragasu »

Axlen wrote:I've decided to stop all coders cable development. No excuses, no explanation. Period.
Sorry to hear that... Anyway you have made a great work and you deserve to rest.

I was thinking on making a new design on my own, but I don't know what are the DC serial bus standard speeds. Can anybody tell me or point me to the right documentation?

I can't find here the F232 chip so I think I can use a TUSB3410, but it isn't as fast as the F232 (up to 921,6 Kbps only).

If I can find info on the DC serial port standard speeds, I think I'll go for it when I finish my exams...
Axlen
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Axlen »

doragasu wrote: I can't find here the F232 chip so I think I can use a TUSB3410, but it isn't as fast as the F232 (up to 921,6 Kbps only).
You can get the FTDI chips from Parallax.

The bauds that the DC serial port supports are based on a 50Mhz clock. The formulas for determining the baud are in the hardware manual for the processor. You can probably get links to those resources off the Boob website and from Marcus's site as well.

The major problem will all single chip USB-serial solutions is that fact that their clocks are all some factor of 96Mhz or 48Mhz which makes choosing bauds that are compatible between the USB bridge and DC serial port a real challenge. Especially so at the higher bauds. 500K baud is the maximum *reliable* baud I could coax out of the FTDI FT232BM chip (6Mhz clock) when used with the Dreamcast.
Axlen was here...
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

500MHz is still very good when compared to the serial port on a computer.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

Axlen wrote:You can get the FTDI chips from Parallax.

The bauds that the DC serial port supports are based on a 50Mhz clock. The formulas for determining the baud are in the hardware manual for the processor. You can probably get links to those resources off the Boob website and from Marcus's site as well.

The major problem will all single chip USB-serial solutions is that fact that their clocks are all some factor of 96Mhz or 48Mhz which makes choosing bauds that are compatible between the USB bridge and DC serial port a real challenge. Especially so at the higher bauds. 500K baud is the maximum *reliable* baud I could coax out of the FTDI FT232BM chip (6Mhz clock) when used with the Dreamcast.
Thanks for the info. I have only had an overview on datasheet of the chip I plan to use (I'm pretty busy ATM), and it uses a 96MHz clock signal to get the baudclock, so it looks like I'll have the same problems you had. Anyway, I'll be pretty happy if I can get 500Kbps.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

I've been looking to the SH4 manual (thanks Axlen for pointing me to it) and I think I now know how to calculate the baudrates. The max baudrate for Asynchronous mode is with n=0 (CKS1=0, CKS0=0) and N=1:
50.000.000/(64*0,5*1) = 1.562.500 bps

For 500Kbps I suppose you use n=0 and N = 3 (520833 bps).
semicolo
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by semicolo »

Yes you're right, if you want exact matching baud rates you could use an USB uC and hook a standard Uart clocked at 25Mhz on it. Or maybe use some fast uC like a scenix to emulate one or find a uC that's got an embedded uart that can be clocked fast enough.

You'll have to write device drivers though whereas FTDI chips come with.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

semicolo wrote:Yes you're right, if you want exact matching baud rates you could use an USB uC and hook a standard Uart clocked at 25Mhz on it. Or maybe use some fast uC like a scenix to emulate one or find a uC that's got an embedded uart that can be clocked fast enough.

I hope I have not to use a generic uC, as I started to read the entire USB 2.0 specification (more than 600 pages) and it's really complex. If I have to code everything, I'll never gonna end this.

I'll finish my exams on 25th June, and then I'll have a little more time to spend with this project (I'm also working so it will progress slowly even when I finish my exams). By now I have found a general purpose USB controller (TUSB3210) with an embedded 8052 uC running at 48MHz. I'll try to connect it to a TL16C550D UART chip, that supports... up to 1.5 Mbps!

I have no experience working with USB devices or developing drivers, but the USB controller comes with a free "Product development kit" so I hope developing the drivers is no a PITA. It also has Keyboard firmware sample source code, I'll try to have a look at it and see how does it look like.

Let's see where I can get with this.
Axlen
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Axlen »

semicolo wrote:Yes you're right, if you want exact matching baud rates you could use an USB uC and hook a standard Uart clocked at 25Mhz on it. Or maybe use some fast uC like a scenix to emulate one or find a uC that's got an embedded uart that can be clocked fast enough.

Yup, the baud matching problem is known as aliasing. As long as the bauds are within 3% the serial link should work.

FYI: Olimex has a nice cheap PIC development board with an FTDI USB-serial chip on board: http://www.olimex.com/dev/pic-p28-usb.html

A hobbyist could use that to build up a 500K baud DC Coders cable with the addition of a few components. I've already provided the DC interface details and wrote up the theory so what's taking this group of hardware modders so long to get with the modding! :D
Axlen was here...
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

*Bump* Someone should sticky this topic :wink:
Insane homebrew collector.
CYRiX
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by CYRiX »

is there someway to use this to connect the dreamcast online? I mean I know computers can connect to each other for internet, why not a dreamcast?
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

That can be done via the modem.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
CYRiX
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by CYRiX »

yea but using this gives it 1mb/s instead of like 33.3kb/s so it would run fps games smoothly.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

It could maybe be used for new homebrew released, but not for previously released games.
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

You have a profound point doragasu. But heres the catch, not many games/apps as it is support the official BBA. A cheaply built DC serial-BBA could the the thing needed for future DC homebrew coders. Heck if a *standard* format could be achieved, a universal homebrew BBA could be made with support for future games like a networked Quake port or something. 1.5Mb/s is plenty for online games.
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

I see a homebrew BBA or the USB- dc serial something that future devvers will need. Most laptops actually don't have a serial port and seems that the standar serial it's going to disappear in some years, there's not much use unless you are doing some coding with homebrew hardware and PICs, comunication through serial it's just too slow :(
ghostparty
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by ghostparty »

GyroVorbis wrote:If I wasn't a 15 year old unemployed 10th grade bum who can't even drive yet, I wouldn't think twice about buying me one of them.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Christuserloeser wrote:*Bump* Someone should sticky this topic :wink:
Insane homebrew collector.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

if your going to sticky this, their is about 50 other topics you could also sticky.

People can search if they really need this.