Complete DC dev on an ISO

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Complete DC dev on an ISO

Post by LyingWake »

I thought about it. I'll probably end up throwing everything you need to get a DC dev setup on Windows along with a quick install guide program written in Visual Basic. It'll be huge because of CYGWIN but I don't care how big it is as long as it would be used.

You think anyone would use it? My ideas were so that you just burn the ISO, pop the disc in your PC, and the install program would autorun.

Actually, here's what I started with:

I think I will end up doing it for my personal use but I don't mind sharing.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

probably help the beginners.
Warmtoe
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Warmtoe »

It would also help the non-beginners who have lost their environment.

It'd be hella cool if you could actually distribute the files which would make the ISO in some form (like a ZIP) that you could then extend with your own project directories etc - so that you could put your own source on your own ISO - kind of like an extendable ISO image.

Anyway - I think it is a great plan - I for one would use it as a backup.
Masen
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Masen »

Yeah its a great idea
pnpbios
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by pnpbios »

I'm already working on something similar to this. If you are sticking pre-compiled binaries of the SH-4 GCC and KOS, then you don't need a full blown CYGWIN installation.

There is this wonderfull little program for windows called MSYS, and it is a minimalistic bash shell for development created by the MINGW people. It is made specificaly for MINGW, but I was able to type in notepad, and it launched notepad. So it could easily run scripts containing calls to our cross compilers.

Weighing in at only 3 megs, and including all of the commands you would need, it is definitely worth looking into.

Another thing I am going to look at is to see if I can create a Dev-C++ option that doesn't destroy the default options.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

I'm already working on something similar to this. If you are sticking pre-compiled binaries of the SH-4 GCC and KOS, then you don't need a full blown CYGWIN installation.
I don't think I am using pre-compiled binaries. I'm following MetaFox's tutorial at DCEmu.co.uk's forums. Although I could be wrong.

Here is the tutoral I'm following.
There is this wonderfull little program for windows called MSYS, and it is a minimalistic bash shell for development created by the MINGW people. It is made specificaly for MINGW, but I was able to type in notepad, and it launched notepad. So it could easily run scripts containing calls to our cross compilers.

Weighing in at only 3 megs, and including all of the commands you would need, it is definitely worth looking into.
I'm having it hard just creating this disc with CYGWIN (not really - CYGWIN's installer just sucks), although I do like the idea of something small (it took 2+ hours to install CYGWIN last night). Perhaps this is something for you to look into. I wouldn't mind helping you, if you needed it.
pnpbios
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by pnpbios »

As soon as I get my dev machine, I may have to take you up on that.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

As soon as I get my dev machine, I may have to take you up on that.
Sounds good.

Okay guys, I've got it set up and working. I haven't tried compiling anything, but it should work fine. I need to upload it to somewhere. It's pretty big too - 525MB RARed.

Here's the final result:

It will automatically create the /dc folder in /usr/local, so don't try to create it manually.

It will automatically add:

PATH=/usr/local/dc/arm-elf/bin:$PATH
PATH=/usr/local/dc/sh-elf/bin:$PATH

to the end of /etc/profile if you'd like (Yes or No option) as well as:

cd ../../usr/local/dc/kos1.3/kos
source environ.sh

to the end of /etc/profile if you'd like. It's under the Tip button (also Yes or No option).
pnpbios
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by pnpbios »

512 MB as a RAR file? Will all that fit on a CD uncompressed? :o
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

It not very compressed. It's only 533MB UNRARed.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Yes,i would love that. Fooling around with C and C++ is one thing,but setting up enviroments is kinda tough. Making it easy for any potential wanna-be programmers is a good thing. Mac OSX came with a free full-bodied developer package to easily install with the OS discs since the first release of OS X. It created a huge number of new developers and programs for the OS, and was as giving as the pre(OS 9) developer setup was restraining and elitist.

As far as hosting... I heard of a service that will let you send a gig (kind of like a mail type) thing for free. Also a REMOTE possibiltiy is hosting it on a P2P shared folder(which I thought could be a good idea for large d/l's,but is very hard to implement). Or you could try dchomebrew, maybe taking the place of freeDev....or being along next to it if space permits. A easy installer Dev package on a ISO, would be a top prioirty to be hosted at the dcemu scene(in my mind).
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I'm sure it would be possible to drop at least 100 mb off of that. cygwin comes with a lot of unnecessary things. even in its dev section there is plenty you dont need (since all the stuff there is for PC dev).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

I know if this goes through, I'll get into DC dev. I'll be taking a class on C++ to expand my knowledge of it next school year. This will help me greatly, as I won't have to code my own devkit.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

quzar wrote:I'm sure it would be possible to drop at least 100 mb off of that. cygwin comes with a lot of unnecessary things. even in its dev section there is plenty you dont need (since all the stuff there is for PC dev).
Wouldn't you need to edit the setup.ini file to edit out the files you removed? Not exactly sure what's needed and what's not either.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

cygwin, even before downloading setup, allows you to choose exactly what you want to install (i think??) and basically almost nothing is needed besides the core files.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
pnpbios
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by pnpbios »

I think cygwin offers the option to install packages from a directory. All you need are the core files, make, and gcc, right? so, just download the packages you need, plop them in the install directory, and there you go.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

LyingWake wrote:Okay guys, I've got it set up and working. I haven't tried compiling anything, but it should work fine. I need to upload it to somewhere. It's pretty big too - 525MB RARed.
See you at DCEvolution.net :wink:
Insane homebrew collector.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Just a little update: I'm not going to upload the 526MB ISO just yet. I need to uninstall CYGWIN and redownload only the minimal files for a DC dev to cut down on the file size. I'm currently busy with some other things right now so I don't see this getting any further until at least Friday (even though I will probably end up working on it later today anyway).
pnpbios
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by pnpbios »

sounds like a plan. I will 'hopefully' be getting my dev box tomorow, and it might be nice to have something to build off of.

I'll do a clean test for you.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

I'll be able to host a mirror for it, if you want (My connection isn't the greatest in the world, but my max upload is like 50kb/s. (Stupid comcast.)). Also, I'll be able to host a tracker, should you decide to use BitTorrent.