Revolution: Classic Game Downloads are Free

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Revolution: Classic Game Downloads are Free

Post by DaMadFiddler »

found on Joystiq:
GamesRadar wrote:NOA vice president George Harrison talks 'bout a Revolution

Amid the loud roars and beating chests of Sony and Microsoft last week, you'd be forgiven for forgetting about Nintendo completely.

Nintendo - the once dominating force of videogames - sat quietly in the corner, all alone and looking at its watch every five minutes, while its rivals danced and cheered the night away, full of satisfaction and optimism.

But Nintendo hasn't given up. The lack of any next-gen gameplay footage and the omission of the 'revolutionary' controller at the pre-E3 Nintendo conference may have been a disappointment, but Nintendo does have a plan up its sleeve.

In a recent interview with US website GameSpot, Nintendo of America vice president George Harrison answered some burning questions, finally giving some kind of clue as to how Nintendo plans to play this generation.

Beginning by referring to Nintendo's next-gen chances, Harrison confidently claimed, "Revolution will have no real problem standing up to [PS3 and Xbox 360]," keenly pointing out that, while Sony and Microsoft have laid their cards on the table, Nintendo is yet to actually reveal its final specs, regardless of what has been said by the press.

Harrison then explained that getting developers on board is key to the Revolution strategy, and Nintendo is working hard to ensure Revolution is both easy and cheap to develop for.

As far as what makes the console revolutionary, Harrison was coy regarding the controller, instead focusing on Nintendo's online plans and downloadable games service.

"People sort of picked on us for not prematurely jumping into online or internet gaming," he mused, going on to point out that now the company has more to offer besides online gaming. Harrison then confirmed that past-gen, Nintendo-created titles will indeed be downloadable for free.

This is a clever move by Nintendo: regardless of the final power of Revolution and the frequency of new titles, Nintendo knows that its loyal fans will cry tears of joy over a free service that lets them download previous Nintendo classics straight out of the box.

Third-party developers could charge for the privilege to download though. Or, alternatively, they could offer downloadable classics as an incentive to buy their next-gen full price releases. Either way, classic Nintendo titles such as Castlevania and MegaMan may not be immediately accessible.

A similar model applies to online gaming. Playing Nintendo titles across the internet will be free, whereas third-party publishers will be able to charge whatever subscription rates they wish.

Still, with a massive back-catalogue of titles and some key franchises that gamers have been wanting to play online for some time - Mario Kart, to name but one - it's unlikely the occasional fee for a third-party offering will spoil Nintendo's idea too much.

Nintendo Revolution is due to be launched in 2006
...And that, ladies and gentlemen, is enough to have me hooked. No tech specs available, only two launch titles announced, but that's enough for me. Assuming, of course, the system is reasonably priced ;).
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

i <3 nintendo :kiss)

happy day, they just confirmed my purchase.

and so far every nintendo console retailed for $199USD so i'd imagine the next one will be the same.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Kinda blows for me, cause I imagine that you'd need broadband to dl these games, and I am stuck with dial-up....

Regardless, I'd say that this is a smart move on Nintendo's part, and I'd like to see other third party publishers, like Konami and Capcom, follow suite......Hey, maybe Sega will offer some of their classic games for dl. That would be awesome!!!

I cannot wait for this console. For the first time since the N64, I can't wait til its released....
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I'm there... even though I already was anyway.
It's thinking...
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Yay for free games!
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

I'm with you, butters.
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

Nintendo might as well put a huge ass fish hook on my lip. )()(
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

This idea sounds great, but... with so many free games, will people buy any new games?
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

how about a revamped online version of the cube's mario kart ? maybe something to really launch this thing. either way im most likely getting this anyways.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

If you think about this, this is a great idea on nintendo's part.

The games were made years ago, so they arn't losing any money, and it makes buyers happy. - a win-win situation.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

pavelbure wrote:how about a revamped online version of the cube's mario kart ? maybe something to really launch this thing. either way im most likely getting this anyways.
or a new mario kart?
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

do you think this will include n64 games?
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

This doesn't sound liek a bad deal... hell, for something like that I'd be willing to shell out a few bucks a month. It beeing free is ninja-awesome. I just might buy a Nintendo-made console for the first time since I had...wow, a NES!
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Thank God. They really had the power to ass ream everyone. Good thing they didn't.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

This seems too good to be true...

I imagine certain games will be free, and other ones will cost money... possibly a Mario Kart 64 with added online functionality... or Super Mario Kart online......

What great news =)
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Great, I'll almost definitely get a Revolution.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I know this is definitely getting into the realm of wishful thinking here...but since Nintendo is making all its first-party NES, SNES, and '64 games available as free downloads for Revolution, wouldn't it be great if they did the same thing for DS?

I mean, think about it. You buy a "DS Passport" cartridge or something like that, which is essentially a network interface program. Then, you're given a library of all Nintendo's Gameboy and Gameboy Color games that you can download to RAM and play until you shut your system down. (This would be especially useful since the DS doesn't have classic-GB compatibility).
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

The revolution will definitely be my first new console buy if the downloadable classic's holds true.
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

DaMadFiddler wrote:I know this is definitely getting into the realm of wishful thinking here...but since Nintendo is making all its first-party NES, SNES, and '64 games available as free downloads for Revolution, wouldn't it be great if they did the same thing for DS?

I mean, think about it. You buy a "DS Passport" cartridge or something like that, which is essentially a network interface program. Then, you're given a library of all Nintendo's Gameboy and Gameboy Color games that you can download to RAM and play until you shut your system down. (This would be especially useful since the DS doesn't have classic-GB compatibility).
|/|
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Icing on the cake.