Gaming getting less interesting as you age..?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
StriderXg2
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Location: http://www.youtube.com/rkotm for my films about gaming and such.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gaming getting less interesting as you age..?

Post by StriderXg2 »

For me it has, im not as interested in gaming as i was when i was 4, when i played commodore 64(built in screen, haha) for hours, then the SNES for hours..But then the past few years, 4 or 5, i havent played games for more than an hour or less. I mean i still read the latest news on games and what consoles are coming out, but i cant play games for too long until i get tired of playing and shut it off. I just bought a Gamecube and i dont play it much. Maybe because im depressed, i dunno. Ever lost interest over time playing games? How long have you? Am i just miserable? I did play Shenmue 2 last year for 3 hours..Still havent beat it though.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

Yeah, I was pretty hardcore in the day, but I don't really have much time for gaming now.
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Im pretty much the same way. I keep up with the new crap coming out, and I still buy every system and game I think I might play, but as far a playing time goes it is very far down on my list. I collect video games so I guess thats why Im still into it. I am a collector of certain things, then I never stop. I collect baseball cards/vintage gloves, I collect coins/paper money/historical war items, and video games. I have a DS that my GF plays more than I do, I havent turned on my GC in about 5 months, my brother has my xbox so I havent played it in almost 8 months, I play my PS2 once in a while, but its only to play 1 golf game called "swing away", nothing else. I am going to buy a PSP with my college grad money although Im sure I wont play that either. The only thing I still play really is my SNES for SFII when my next door neighbors are home and drinking. Also I play RBI baseball on nesterDC every few weeks. but thats about it.
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

Now that I think about it, I realize that I play more old school games than newer titles. Most likely because they're easy to pick up and play as opposed to new stuff that requires watching cut scenes, practicing, etc.
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

same for me, i really played a lot with my cube in the early days, and i also enjoyed the hell out of my DC, but the last year or so my gaming has really dropped off, i mainly blame us getting broadband internet for this, since i now spend all my time online

it did give an initial boost with me playing xbox live, but in the end that doesnt grip me that much either
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

yeah it happens... i counsidered myself a hardcore gamer once upon a time... but nowadays it's rare for me to play for more than half an hour... what with a job, a social life, a girlfriend and other responsibilities i dont have time for 4 hour marathon gaming sessions anymore.

that said i just bought a ds and mario64ds absolutely rocks... most of my gaming is done on the tube in the mornings nowadays. a bit of time when i have nothing better to do i guess.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Of course it's decreased. I've grown up. I'd get punched in the side of the head if I played Mario all day now. But it's the same way with any toy I used to play with. I still find new games fun and enjoyable by not assuming and hoping it's going to reproduce the feelings I had way way way back when. Bottom line for me is that I've changed, not the games I play.
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

Ya, I agree, I really do not have much time to play games anymore. I used to be pretty hardcore, play for hours at a time, but now, most games just don't hold my attention like they used to. Like everyone else, I still keep up on whats coming out. Only a few games can keep me in the "zone" and I really have a hard time playing those at times.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I'm the same way too. The most I play is when my friend comes over when we play all over favorite competitive games like Blast Chamber, Quake 2, Super Bomberman 5 Gold, and the Battle Mode from Super Mario Bros 3 in Super Mario All-Stars. Oh, and occassionally we'll play MK4.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

For me ,i mostly played RPG's. After PS one RPGs, they just started to be too long and too invovled. I liked the sense of completion that comes from maxing out my level on old RPG's such as FF3 and chrono trigger.

Although unforetuneatly, the longest RPG's you can play -MMORPG's- spark a sense of competition in me, and therefore I spend way to much of my time playing.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

i go through spurts where i play an hour a day, then nothing for months.

i probably play games with my friends more, we have mario kart 64 tournaments which are always fun.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I dont play games half as much as I used to. I just have better things to do with my time.
Pablo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Pablo »

Other than while playing rpgs, I get bored with games in general rather quickly.
crazyrom
Ex-Help Forum Mod
Ex-Help Forum Mod

Re: Gaming getting less interesting as you age..?

Post by crazyrom »

StriderXg2 wrote:For me it has, im not as interested in gaming as i was when i was 4, when i played commodore 64(built in screen, haha) for hours, then the SNES for hours..But then the past few years, 4 or 5, i havent played games for more than an hour or less. I mean i still read the latest news on games and what consoles are coming out, but i cant play games for too long until i get tired of playing and shut it off. I just bought a Gamecube and i dont play it much. Maybe because im depressed, i dunno. Ever lost interest over time playing games? How long have you? Am i just miserable? I did play Shenmue 2 last year for 3 hours..Still havent beat it though.
I know this is off the topic but i love your avatar. :D
StriderXg2
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: http://www.youtube.com/rkotm for my films about gaming and such.

Post by StriderXg2 »

crazyrom wrote:
StriderXg2 wrote:For me it has, im not as interested in gaming as i was when i was 4, when i played commodore 64(built in screen, haha) for hours, then the SNES for hours..But then the past few years, 4 or 5, i havent played games for more than an hour or less. I mean i still read the latest news on games and what consoles are coming out, but i cant play games for too long until i get tired of playing and shut it off. I just bought a Gamecube and i dont play it much. Maybe because im depressed, i dunno. Ever lost interest over time playing games? How long have you? Am i just miserable? I did play Shenmue 2 last year for 3 hours..Still havent beat it though.
thanks..didnt you make it for me?
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

I wouldn't say age has made me less interested, but there is certainly much less time with a ton of other things to do. Though I do remember then having to always trade something in to get something new so my library was very small. These days...four consoles can go sit untouched for days. A little bit in the evening and some time on Saturday night after the kids are in bed is about all of the time I have now. It can take me months to get through one rpg.

Of course, maybe I'd have a little more time if I'd stay away from forums :wink: .
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

nothing new or invoative really in gaming since the first 3d platformers. Everything just gets prettier and that just doesn't do it for me as much as a whole new kind of experience. So if I'm gonna play a game it better be one I can pick up for 5 minutes and leave without a worry or have a good storyline to it.
popley
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by popley »

I use to play rpg's all the time, but since playing about 5 really bad ones in a row I stoped, I just got into halo2 which i play with friends (systemlink, or xboxlive) which has sparked a life for games for me. But i know it wont last too long, maybe ill try some sports games, even though I hate them, but havnt played in 5 years, maybe winning eleven 7.
"It's only after we've lost everything, that we are truly free to do anything." Fight Club

http://www.geocities.com/nesterdcgamecodes
crazyrom
Ex-Help Forum Mod
Ex-Help Forum Mod

Post by crazyrom »

StriderXg2 wrote:
crazyrom wrote:
thanks..didnt you make it for me?
Why yes i did nice to see you back at dc emu. :D
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

I ussually will play a lot, then next to nothing for a month. For my Bday my gf got me God Of War knowing i am a total nut for greek mythology. I played about 15 hours in 4 days. Then nothing for 3 weeks and then I got Onimusha 3 (I practiacally never get a game new, I wait til it is 15 to 20 dollars used) and I played that for like 12 hours the last 3 days. I will probably play that again because I unlocked the original (and much cooler wepons)

I have gotten to the point where I like a good 15 to 20 hour game. Next month I am getting Alter Ires and that is a 30 to 40 hour RPG that isn't a melodrama. When I get this job at UPS I will prolly play games late Saturdays/Sundays. Basically when I am not over my G/Fs place.