Revolution fully backwards compatible-use it instead?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.

Will you use Revolution for Nintendo Emulation?

Yes I'll buy one and use the emulation.
71%
No, but I will buy one.
7%
No, I will always stick to DC.
21%

Total votes: 14
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Revolution fully backwards compatible-use it instead?

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

Hey, I was just reading the NesterDC thread, I'm really looking forward to it and definitely going to use, but it started me thinking about the Nintendo Revolution. If it's backwards compatible with the NES, Snes and N64 (as well as Cube) and all Ninty games will be available online (and likely 3rd party) then I am definitely going to get one and will use it for emulation - especially now that they've strongly hinted that connecting will be free - so long as the games aren't extortionate.

If this comes out good and you can buy all the classics for minimal outlay do you think you might switch to the N5 for Nintendo emulation, or will you stick with the DC?
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Woahhhhhh....say what? The Revolution really can play NES/SNES/N64/GC? That's the most awesome thing I've ever heard. I knew it would be able to play GC, but I thought that it being able to play cartridges was just a rumor. How are they going to fit ports for all of them on the same system?
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Higher Power Hasney wrote:
Luriden wrote:Woahhhhhh....say what? The Revolution really can play NES/SNES/N64/GC? That's the most awesome thing I've ever heard. I knew it would be able to play GC, but I thought that it being able to play cartridges was just a rumor. How are they going to fit ports for all of them on the same system?
It can't play carts. Games for other systems have to be bought and downloaded.
Ahh.....well in that case, I'll stick with emulator. It's quite free. ;)
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

I'll stick with the DC, free>bought. But then again, I'll probably buy them anyways because they might run better and if the price is good it might be worht it.
chrisfbt1
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by chrisfbt1 »

depends on the pricing structure but i probably will buy most of the classics =)
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Actually, they have not announced anything about pricing. A Gamespot interview with George Harrison today indicated that the company had not yet begun serious discussion of any type of price structure yet, but there was a hint that many older titles (NES and SNES-era) might possibly be free. Another suggestion (though this was just speculation on Harrison's part, since Nintendo hasn't finished discussing the service with third parties yet) is that third-party developers might allow download of the old versions of a game when you purchase a new release.

But as indicated, no information regarding pricing--or even, for that sake, whether or not there will BE a fee--has not been decided, much less announced.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Our pal from NOA, Reggie, said that Nintendo wants to keep it cheap in an E3 interview
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

It would be nice if they sold the emulator and let you download the games for free.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

a system similar to the sras catalogue would be good, buy a game or a piece of hardware and get enough points to download a couple of old titles.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I would be most tempted to buy games that typically did not run well on common emulators, meaning my Revolution's emulation ability will pretty much boil down to N64 games.
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

souLLy wrote:a system similar to the sras catalogue would be good, buy a game or a piece of hardware and get enough points to download a couple of old titles.
That's a darn good idea! I have loads of those Nintendo VIP points that you get for buying Nintendo games. Perhaps you could use those to "pay" for games?

And if they do give the really old stuff free as a thankyou for supporting the service then I think Nintendo's reputation might just take an upward turn among gamers...
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

I reckon we may see Nintendo first party stuff for free but some of the third party games might have a fee. Then again it is Nintendo and they have been quite happy to charge ?15 for old NES games for the GBA so I'm not keeping my hopes up.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

or $30 here.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

CoasterKing wrote:I reckon we may see Nintendo first party stuff for free but some of the third party games might have a fee. Then again it is Nintendo and they have been quite happy to charge ?15 for old NES games for the GBA so I'm not keeping my hopes up.
Well there is hope. They don't have to really produce a physical product unlike the GBA carts. Personally I was a little pissed about them releaseing the Metroid one because it is free to unlock on Zero Mission, and Prime.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

If the price is good,then it might be worth picking up a revolution, if not, well DC BABY!
Have you played dreamcast today?
ducktapevoodoo
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by ducktapevoodoo »

whatever they charge a lot more roms are gonna become IDSA Protected
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

souLLy wrote:a system similar to the sras catalogue would be good, buy a game or a piece of hardware and get enough points to download a couple of old titles.
From the long-ass questionaire I recently filled out at nintendovip it looks like NOE are planning on putting games downloads into the stars catalogue - there were also some questions specifically asking if I would like to be able to get 'retro' hardware via the stars catalogue too, which to my mind suggests a Western launch of iQue...
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tekkaman1 »

I will stay with the DC. I only like Nes and Snes. So I'll continue to use my DC.