Need help with Nestor on Nero

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Ceielo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need help with Nestor on Nero

Post by Ceielo »

I just got a new PC and I used to have only a Mac, Now I am trying to make NES games work on my Dreamcast and I read some manuals and I still dont understand half of ANYTHING is.
Can anyone show me exactly what I need and what to do?
Ceielo To My Lil' Friend!
Ceielo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Ceielo »

if its easier to use any other program, I am able and willing to download it. Like disc juggler or anything. I just need to play my old games on my Cast.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

I think your sig may be too big.

All the info you need is here
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Matisfaction wrote:I think your sig may be too big.

That is true enough, but I think it might be easiest to suggest one specific method, since there are several tutorials at DCHelp.
This is the method I use. For NesterDC, I suggest NesterDC 6.0, especially if you're planning to put multiple things on one disc. For some reason, when using the "Multi-Menu" or "Single Menu" options, the controls get all screwy in NesterDC 7.1. You can find the needed SBI files at http://www.sbiffy.com for just about any emulator.
Ceielo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Ceielo »

I dont understand a lot of the words for the download stuff and SBI and .cdi or .iso or .nes stuff. Im a total Noob and I know it.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

OneThirty8 wrote:
Matisfaction wrote:I think your sig may be too big.

That is true enough, but I think it might be easiest to suggest one specific method, since there are several tutorials at DCHelp.
Yeah sorry, The last guy i directed to a tut, Moaned that there was an easier method than the one i directed him to and that i should have let him browse through the tuts on DCHELP, I guess you can't win either way. :dontknow:
Ceielo wrote:I dont understand a lot of the words for the download stuff and SBI and .cdi or .iso or .nes stuff. Im a total Noob and I know it.
Using dir2boot is by far the easiest to use IMHO so I'd recommend that.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Yeah, Dir2Boot is a good program, but since it doesn't support the RockRidge format that'd be needed to allow Lower Case File Names.nes instead of UPPER_CASE_FILE_NAMES.NES I prefer SBInducer v4 and BootDreams :)

The best app for NesterDC however might be the Ultimate NesterDC Tutorial by Skyhawk and BurnerO, which can be found here:

http://dcemulation.org/files/emulators/NesterDC.exe

That's the page that holds the original link:
http://www.dcemulation.org/dcemu-nesterdc.htm
Insane homebrew collector.
Ceielo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Ceielo »

The Nero I have on this computer keeps saying its not so compatible with my computer. Is there anything I can download to use for burning these roms instead of needing to use Nero? Something like Toast that I used to use on my Mac?
Also where do I find everything I needa download? Dcemu Tools?
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

You might try an older (v 5.x) Nero trial version from oldversion.com, or use cdi images and burn them with DiscJuggler or Alcohol 120%. If you don't like any of those options, both Selfboot and Selfboot Inducer have the ability to burn using cdrecord, which is bundled with both of those programs. You should be able to find links to download either of those tools in the tutorials at DCHelp.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

OneThirty8 wrote:If you don't like any of those options, both Selfboot and Selfboot Inducer have the ability to burn using cdrecord, which is bundled with both of those programs. You should be able to find links to download either of those tools in the tutorials at DCHelp.
BootDreams also has a built-in burner (I think LyingWake was even working on a CDI burner, but I don't know if he ever got that working or not).
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Ceielo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Ceielo »

Hey, I think I got it to work. I see these menu pics in the NestorDC thing that I downloaded from the site CUL posted. I wanna write "Ceielo" in the menus. Would I be able to Photoshop them in?
Also, would it work if I used a CDRW? I wasted a few CDRs already. LOL. Sucked.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Generally speaking, CD-RW will not work. It is possible to modify your DC to do this, but you can seriously damage your Dreamcast if you screw up, and from what I understand it will reduce your Dreamcast's lifespan considerably. It's best to stick to plain old CD-R's. I've personally always used the cheapest discs I could find, stock up on large quanties, and once you figure out the method that works for you, you won't go through nearly as many discs anyway. If you really want to save discs, you could do what many of us do when coding for Dreamcast and use DemoMenu to load multi-session discs. I can usually get about 40-50 burns on one CD.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

BootDreams also has a built-in burner (I think LyingWake was even working on a CDI burner, but I don't know if he ever got that working or not).
Sorry. The current version (0.2.1) does not burn CDI images correctly.
Ceielo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Ceielo »

What are multisession discs?
Also whats up with cdi and nrg or something?
I nearly got it to work but I got a bad Nero and keeps saying its burning but when I pop it in my Dreamcast it doesnt work. Hmm. Kinda pissing me off. Wasted 3 more CDRs just last night.
Ceielo
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Ceielo »

sbiffy.com isnt working either.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster