Past VS Present

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.

Wich games do you like better oldschool or new games?

Oldschool
88%
New games
13%

Total votes: 24
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Past VS Present

Post by tekkaman1 »

Videogames have changed. In the past when you play video games you get into a world of fantasy and adventure. Now most of the games are about war, drugs and are more violent than they used to be and there are a lot of shooters now. Last christmas I saw parents buying Grandtheft auto for their kids. Do you like how videogames have become? I just want to see you opinions. Express yourself but with respect okay?
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Well, video games have been about war and violence for quite a long time. And I kinda thought shooters had been around since the conception of video games. Personaly, I like older games, but not because new games are more violent. Older games concentrated more on gameplay, because there wasn't much more than gameplay. Now you can sell a game with pretty grahics.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

im more into gameplay than graphixs ,so i stick whit the old school ones.....
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

Vlad Tepes wrote:Well, video games have been about war and violence for quite a long time. And I kinda thought shooters had been around since the conception of video games. Personaly, I like older games, but not because new games are more violent. Older games concentrated more on gameplay, because there wasn't much more than gameplay. Now you can sell a game with pretty grahics.
So true.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Old skool games, do you even have to ask?
16-bit gaming with the genesis and the snes, was the best for both games and innovation.

Nowadays. gamers care more about violence and sex then the more important factors of a game. It's a shame, really since many innovated games are largely ignored.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

You might want to read the rule about sigs.
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

They both have their good points. I mean a horribly fun and addictive game like Frogger or Pacman would just look really bizarre with new graphics, and it would have been impossible to make games like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater or the later Final Fantasy games on old hardware.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

The game industry doesn't owe me anything, so I'm not going to opine on how this new generation is horrible and that my generation was great. No one likes to remember the Chester Cheetah's and Bubsy the Cat's. Was Total Recall good? Custer's Last Stand? The game industry isn't here to service my nostalgia and make sure I get happy fuzzy feelings everytime I start up my GameCube. Like every other money-whoring, multi-national corporation, they're here to make sure I spend the most amount of money on their products as many times as possible. Also, how much fun would the ninth sequel of Mario 3 be? Granted, I enjoy all my old games, but I also love the new innovations that are occuring. I've come to the point to accept games at face value and then delve deeper and enjoy every last minute and not expect myself to be shuttled back to 1993 with a flip of a switch.
I also don't automatically consider myself superior because the fact that I buy the least popular games and assume popular games, no matter how gory and sex-ridden, are teh sux. There's no justification there for me, because there are numerous cultures and sub-cultures in the world that accept and disallow certain activites and customs.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Old school. I have countless reasons, but most have been stated here. However, I noticed there's been a huge difference in colors and themes in these games recently. The games back then used to be bright and colorful, and the levels all differed from each other. Nowdays, though the games are less linear, they all seem to use the same pallettes and it feels like each level repeated over and over. Take MGS3 for example. It's a good game, sure, but every screen in the jungle feels exactly the same. The gameplay is good, but the look of it is just boring. The Megaman games seem to be the only games nowdays that still use the old "snow level, fire level, water level" technique. Though some would say it's too cliched, it works. I find it hard to explain what I mean on this, and I doubt many understand, so oh well.

And the music sucks nowdays too, but I've already made my point on that in another thread.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Both. Seriously, how can I choose between games like Super Mario 3, Yoshi's Island, Megaman 1-5, Final Fantasy 2-3, or even Donkey Kong 1-3 compared to today's games like Metal Gear Solid 1-3, Final Fantasy 7-10, Super Mario 64, or Katamari Damacy. You can't. Both generations have excellent games. Both generations have terrible games. And both generations have tons of games in between.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

All games released before 4 years ago are crap.
ian
Young Null Warrior
Young Null Warrior

Post by ian »

melancholy wrote:Both. Seriously, how can I choose between games like Super Mario 3, Yoshi's Island, Megaman 1-5, Final Fantasy 2-3, or even Donkey Kong 1-3 compared to today's games like Metal Gear Solid 1-3, Final Fantasy 7-10, Super Mario 64, or Katamari Damacy. You can't. Both generations have excellent games. Both generations have terrible games. And both generations have tons of games in between.
testify 8-) :wink:
It's a livin' thing, Its a terrible thing to lose.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

melancholy wrote:Both. Seriously, how can I choose between games like Super Mario 3, Yoshi's Island, Megaman 1-5, Final Fantasy 2-3, or even Donkey Kong 1-3 compared to today's games like Metal Gear Solid 1-3, Final Fantasy 7-10, Super Mario 64, or Katamari Damacy. You can't. Both generations have excellent games. Both generations have terrible games. And both generations have tons of games in between.
exactly. This is why topics like this are stupid.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I personally like old school games because the imagination was there and now, where is the imagination. I mean granted the Dreamcast is what got me back into 3d gaming. I still play my Older titles then I do newer ones. Have you played Ninja gaiden on the nes and feel that rush? After wards you play it on the Xbox and you realize the true feeling of ninja gaiden has died. I mean to me Ninja gaiden on the Xbox feels more like DOA Adventure: Ryu Hayabusa edition. That game is highly Recommended but I think the game stinks like our sewer system in indiana.

3D game don't have the thrill that is needed to enjoy a game, I can't remember a time where I actually sat down and played a 3d game for more then 3 hours. I have the time. I work 4 Am to 2 PM at the factory in town but still, I remember back in the snes days I played mario RPG for 8 hours, that game was so fun and exotic everything about Mario RPG was excellent.

I also notice the Music in games today aren't as well composed. I like to compare mega man 1-2-3 to like the X series and stuff, where are all the ultra addictive mega man tunes, they are so off key and lack catchy ness. remember how we used to hate the Catchy music of Crash man stage in Mega man 2? or wood man? Everybody has their opinion, I just think the older generation is better and the really sad thing is many young people can't experience the Joy NES,SNES,GENESIS have brought upon gamers in the past, now they are look "OOO THE BETTER GFX THE BETTER THE GAME" I shake my head in disbelief that this is where the gaming generation is going to go.

I know your thinking "your a dreamcast lover" This I am, it was the last hurrah in 3d gaming period because my Ps2 and GC are collecting dust right now. My thrill in gaming today is forever gone.
Have you played dreamcast today?
Lord_Ball
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Lord_Ball »

Though the current generation of games aren't all bad, I'd have to pick "Past" as there were a lot more innovations and games that sparked my interest. The biggest problem with current games is the excessive use of the FPS genre - granted I'm not a big FPS fan to begin with, but it seems like 4 out of every 10 games released is an FPS (which is probably a good portion of why I prefer old games). Not to mention that most of the games released add nothing new to the mix either, sure this may partly be because so many games are out there it's getting harder to come up with something new.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

fps of today are the platformers of yesterday.

and i liked the busby game for the genesis. :(
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tekkaman1 »

In my opinion I remember having lot's of fun playing Alex Kid, Shinobi, R-type, Donkey Kong (Coleco Version), Sonic, Megaman and others. I beated those games over and over. The new games I just beat them one time and that's all.

Now when I go to a videogame store. The store is filled with shooter games. Why have so much games of the same type?

And about the music I love to put my Sega CD games on a CD player because the music was great. SONIC BOOM :lol:
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Lack of innovation isn't a new phenomenon in gaming. I shudder to think how many craptastular platformers there were for every Sonic that came out. People like to gloss over all of that because of your personal feelings and all the warm feelings that come with it.
StriderXg2
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: http://www.youtube.com/rkotm for my films about gaming and such.

Post by StriderXg2 »

I think it all started to go straight to hell in 97-98. Anyways i prefer any good game, just older ones, mainly SNES or NES.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

if you're of the opinion old games are universally better than new games, chances are you've just outgrown gaming entirely.
or you just need to stop buying shitty overhyped shovelware