Wing Commander: Privateer remake

This is a forum for discussing the feasibility of getting emulators, games, or other applications that have had their source released ported to the Dreamcast. Please read the Porting FAQ before starting a topic in this forum!
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wing Commander: Privateer remake

Post by DaMadFiddler »

http://priv.solsector.net

Sourcecode available on the Downloads page. I believe it's in C++, but I could be mistaken.
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

looks nice !
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

looks nice !
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
Pale Rider
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Pale Rider »

well seeing as this is a 3D game..it probably wont be seen on dc from the homebrew community.if the trend holds true that is...

that most homebrew releases on dc minus one or two exceptions,are either old school or 2D...of which both are not 3D.so like they say.."dream"..on.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I think you'll find that most DC homebrew things are 2D instead of 3D because of lack of artists, not anything else. Hell, I can program a 3D engine from scratch if necessary, but what would be the point? We have all of two people who can actual do 3D models around here, but a huge number of people who can do 2D sprites. Even I can do passable (although ugly) 2D graphics by myself, but I can't do 3D graphics unless you want a red cube running after blue toruses and firing green spheres at them. Why bother going to all that extra effort if hardly anyone is going to be able to use it?

Most artists who can do 3D stuff insist on charging for their work. While it's easy to find programmers who can do 3D games, it's almost impossible to find artists who are willing to contribute work for free. Most of them are otherwise occupied with mods for Half Life 2, UT2004, or whatever the latest PC game is, where they have the opposite problem - artists flock to those games, and you can actually have entire mod teams consisting only of artists, who then become stuck because they don't know any programmers, or level creating guys. How many mods consist of a flashy website, with lots of renders of 3D models, but no actual game?

Anyway, additional problem for porting 3D stuff - we do not have equivalents to PC 3D APIs. We have KGL which is like OpenGL (close enough that KGL code will usually work on OpenGL with minor changes), but porting from OpenGL to KGL is pretty much a complete rewrite if the app wasn't written with KGL in mind in the first place. Obviously no Direct3D either. So that pretty much rules out porting any non-trivial 3D engine to the Dreamcast, unless is was designed to be completely API independent (so we can write a new renderer). Most aren't - they're either tied to OpenGL or to Direct3D. So nobody bothers porting them. It's too much effort.

And most of the ones that are API independent won't work on the Dreamcast for other reasons, usually because they require sixteen times as much memory as the Dreamcast has, or require five times the processor speed to crawl along at a few frames per second.

This game falls into the first category - it's tied to OpenGL, and getting it to work with KGL would pretty much require a rewrite of the entire renderer, possibly even parts of the game itself. That's not even taking into account the system requirements - the Dreamcast would run out of memory before you'd even managed to start the game.