Ms office for 7 bucks!!!!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by butters »

Look, neither one of us are lawyers. If you really care about this ask a lawyer. At this point I've stopped caring because you are so narrow minded you can't see the forest because of the trees. I've never seen any educational software for sell or for download without having to sign for it in some form.

Perhaps if someone managed to obtain an educational version without somehow tripping the EULA they might have a case if they got sued, but that's unlikely because it would probably have been stolen from a store or distributed in a way that infringes on the store's agreement, putting the store in legal danger instead of the consumer.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I've already conceded the pragmatic points against selling academic editions, indeed I have done so from my first post in this thread. My problem is with the justification based on the idea that copyright entitles the holder to control all uses of a work by default. I don't care about this specific scenario per se. It's just that when someone makes a claim that flies in the face of what I have learned, I want to find out whether I'm actually wrong or the claim is just BS. I am trying to be open-minded here, otherwise I would have just called you an idiot and dropped it. But my definition of being open-minded does not require taking your word as gospel.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

You prompted me to look into EULA's specifically. It seems that many EULA's now use a rental agreement, and I'd assume (I don't have time right now to look it up) that Microsoft EULA is like that. If it is a rental agreement, even the media remains property of Microsoft.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I don't see what your link has to do with EULAs, but if that is the case, retailers might want to make it abundantly clear to avoid a lawsuit of their own...
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Skater_dusto
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Skater_dusto »

Oh my goodness, the ignorance is hurting my eyes. I've stopped reading this post ever since you said some garbage about not installing the program, and thereby not agreeing to the TOS. Either way, you still can't turn around and pay for something that you hold no ownership of.

If I took your car and said it's mine, despite the fact that you have a pink slip I could argue about a million dumb reasons about why it doesn't apply to me. There's no point. No one owns anything here. :roll:
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Screw it, this thread is hijacked enough. I'm not playing a flamewar game here.
Skater_dusto
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Skater_dusto »

lol my sentiments as well.

:mj:
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

Ex-Cyber wrote:I don't see what your link has to do with EULAs, but if that is the case, retailers might want to make it abundantly clear to avoid a lawsuit of their own...

Code: Select all

(b)  Lease, Sale, or Other Transfer of Additional Copy or Adaptation.? Any exact copies prepared in accordance with the provisions of this section may be leased, sold, or otherwise transferred, along with the copy from which such copies were prepared, only as part of the lease, sale, or other transfer of all rights in the program. Adaptations so prepared may be transferred only with the authorization of the copyright owner.
Companies use this as a loophole to keep you from owning anything. Basically you pay the company a set amount of money to "rent" the good for an indefinite amount of time, and you own nothing, not even the CD. I'm sure a company like Microsoft does this.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Any exact copies prepared in accordance with the provisions of this section
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Why is this topic still here :?