Possible real Xbox 360 shot?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Caboose »

Friday May 13 they are gonna show it off, check the TV guide or whatever in your are to see what time it's on or pay attention to commercials. For me it's on CTV at 12:30 a.m, I'll stay up to watch it.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

i like it. it looks better then the ps2 and most other systems, plus with the customizable colors (still to be confirmed?) i think it's one of the best lookin consoles...

and as for the controller, i dont think it looks to bad, the important thing is that they used the same analog/dpad layout. and i doubt the controllers will be as cheaply made as the ps2's...
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

I'm not crazy about the way it looks in that pic...but only because of the color. I really hope MS allows for customizable colors. Everything in my entertainment center is either black or gray, and that thing would stick out like a sore thumb in my setup. I really can't say anything about the controller. It doesn't look that great, but then...most controllers don't...until you play with them.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

I think a brushed metal faceplate would look amazing :-D

As for the controller, it may look cheap, but as long as it feels as solid as a Controller S, I'm good to go.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

well,
xbox-scene.com wrote: More Pictures: Xbox 360 skinnable?
>> Lots of Xbox360 related pictures these days ;)
After the Xbox360 Logo and Xbox360 launch month leaked from MTV's 'The Next Generation XBOX Revealed' show recording and the Xbox 360 console shot and Windows Media Center Remote + Final Xbox 360 controller picture sneakily taken at Microsoft's Xbox360 Revealed launch party in Los Angeles last night, we now get a new picture - this time coming from Microsoft's ourcolony.net Alternate Reality Game. The picture was given to all teams that answered the last challenge correctly.
It clearly shows Xbox360's huge 'powerbutton' with the 'ring of light', but each time with what looks like a different design around the button. So this may indicate the Xbox360 case (or front panel) will be customizeable/skinnable.
Xbox-Scene

Xbox-Scene Discussion Thread: forums.xbox-scene.com
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Georgie
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Georgie »

Must have looks sweet and I'll be watching MTV thurs. at 9:30
#1 quote
Orange_Ribbon wrote:I feel my crotch is a blank slate in witch to promote spider man, or captain america.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

melancholy wrote:I don't think the system looks all that bad. I have definately seen worse. I think it's just because it's a Microsoft system that people feel the need to bash it. Still, despite the console look, the controller does look pretty cheap.
What people at dcemu hate Microsoft products? lol jokes aside I think it looks fine. After all if I bought consoles on the way it looks I sure as hell would never get a ds or a nintendo or a playstation.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

as for the size of the thing, i saw some pics on a website i cant remember that had size estimates on them

the assumed the dvd tray was exactly the same width as in the xbox, and worked from there, the new one was to be about 2,5" thick, and i think 2" less wide then the xbox, dont remember exactly though

as for the controller, i still dont like the white, but looking past that, i think it looks OK, looks kind of like a further evolution of the S controller, which is officially my fav controller ever

and slightly off topic: im OK with MS products most of the time, its just when windows does something weird or dumb that i think "why the hell did MS put this in?" or when you find out its quite hard to uninstall MS messenger (not msn, ms)
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

Ehh, its ok looking to me. Anything is better than that black box they designed. Any 4 year old could of came up with that design. But this new design is kinda cool. Judging by the size of the dvd drive, this is gonna be a hell lot smaller than the original. maybe.

If M$ is trying to be known as the "white box" then it's too late. Another system already has that name.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

I like it a lot and the new controller looks awesome. It also looks about the same size, if not slightly smaller than the original PS2 which is a big improvement.

Any leaks of game photos?
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

Dr Wily wrote:that controller looks like a cheap crappy knockoff of a sidewinder :x
Well, they made the Sidewinder, so...

I like it. It looks better than the normal Xbox. But i like more my Halo Special Edition. :roll: I don't like black consoles (except the N64 :P)
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Personally, I don't think it looks bad. Seems a little plain, but far from being an awful design. However, that has exactly zero influence on whether or not I buy it. Four things that do:

1) Console pricing - probably not gonna buy it as long as it's in excess of $250 or so

2) Game selection - Have any titles actually been announced / leaked yet? Microsoft will pretty much get nothing from me if there are no solid adventure, strategy, RPG, or shmup titles, and if their big launch title is something like Half-Life 2, I will just :guffaw: and put my money away for something useful.

3) Game pricing - If games cost too much there's not much sense sinking money into the console

4) Homebrew exploit - Because this at least gives the potential for #2-3 to not matter
Must have looks sweet and I'll be watching MTV thurs. at 9:30
In my little corner of the world, I can't help thinking that this promo is going to do more for MTV than it does for Microsoft. :lol:
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Ex-Cyber wrote:1) Console pricing - probably not gonna buy it as long as it's in excess of $250 or so
I can pretty much guarentee a price of $299. It will have to be that if it wants to stay competitive. Now, this will of course be for the basic version, as you can almost bet there will be a premium version which has a hard drive for a considerably higher cost.
Ex-Cyber wrote:2) Game selection - Have any titles actually been announced / leaked yet? Microsoft will pretty much get nothing from me if there are no solid adventure, strategy, RPG, or shmup titles, and if their big launch title is something like Half-Life 2, I will just :guffaw: and put my money away for something useful.
I'm guessing it will be the same as most big system launches; one huge system moving title (Halo 3?) and a dozen crappy titles. This is (arguably) the typical console launch.
Ex-Cyber wrote:3) Game pricing - If games cost too much there's not much sense sinking money into the console
The market has pretty much figured that $49.99 is the highest price the average gamer will pay for a new release. Note I said average, and not hardcore addicts. If they want to reach the average consumer, they will not stray far from this pricing. Of course, this all changes if you want to play games online...
Ex-Cyber wrote:4) Homebrew exploit - Because this at least gives the potential for #2-3 to not matter
I really wouldn't expect an immediate scene. I'm sure they are getting wiser to the methods used to exploit their systems. Expect Xbox Live to be much, much harder to bypass this time, as well as games that update the console to kill modifications, much like Halo 2 did. I'm sure it will appear in time, but don't expect it to be as easy as the original Xbox was (I doubt that softmods will even appear, though it could happen).
Ex-Cyber wrote:In my little corner of the world, I can't help thinking that this promo is going to do more for MTV than it does for Microsoft. :lol:
You talk as if this wasn't intended. I'd love to see figures on how much money MTV sunk into this deal, because I guarentee, it wasn't cheap.

And on a side note, skinnable consoles should become standard to rid us of the plague of monochromatic consoles. The most love goes out to Nintendo for their continued efforts to bunk the trend with their purple Gamecube and various colored GBA's, GBASP's, and soon to be DS's.
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

Ex-Cyber wrote: 2) Game selection - Have any titles actually been announced / leaked yet? Microsoft will pretty much get nothing from me if there are no solid adventure, strategy, RPG, or shmup titles, and if their big launch title is something like Half-Life 2, I will just and put my money away for something useful.
Well Half Life 2 is coming out this summer for the current xbox, so I wouldn't worry about that for the debut title. In the latest issue of OXM though, they do list some games that will be coming out for the 360. In that list are games like; Fable 2, Perfect Dark Zero, Project Gotham Racing 3, an unnamed Bioware RPG (makers of KOTOR and Jade Empire), Unreal Gears of War (another UC game), Citizen Zero (a MMORPG), The ELder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Of course there are more games, but nothings really definite at this point, but there is a list of confirmed publishers which are; 2K games, Activision, Atari, Bandai, Bethseda Softworks, Buena Vista Games, Capcom, Codemasters, Eidos, EA, From Software, InterServ International, Koei, Konami, Lucas Arts, Majesco, Midway, Namco, Phantagram, Rockstar, SCi Games, Sega, Temco, THQ, TWP, Ubisoft, Vivendi Universal, Webzen, Bioware, Bizzare Creations, Bungie, Epic Games, FASA Studio, Game Republic, Lionhead Studios, Mistwalker, Rare, and Q Entertainment.

They also mention something about a possibility that next gen console games could go up to a price of $60 a game.
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

The controller looks like the Logitch Xbox wireless controller...
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

I guess its nearly time for me to get an xbox :P
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I'm guessing it will be the same as most big system launches; one huge system moving title (Halo 3?) and a dozen crappy titles. This is (arguably) the typical console launch.
Yeah, I don't just mean to look at what will be on the shelf in November, but what's coming down the pipe in the 6-12 months after that as well. However, I do think you can tell a lot about a company's attitude by what games they choose to showcase, and if MS showers all its love on stuff that's essentially PC-style (a term I can't quantify but "I know it when I see it"), it'll probably rub me the wrong way.
I'm sure they are getting wiser to the methods used to exploit their systems.
They've been wise to it for a while; I think it would have just been too expensive to retool the Xbox design to effectively deter mods. IIRC, bunnie thinks that they probably could make Xbox 360 virtually modproof ("virtually" because let's face it, some people have focused ion beam etchers and electron microscopes and intimate knowledge of IC construction), but doesn't think that they necessarily will, and I think his analysis of it looks pretty solid (he's gone into moderately intensive detail regarding goals and methods of his hypothetical design, taking design-for-test and manufacturing cost concerns into account).
In the latest issue of OXM though, they do list some games that will be coming out for the 360. In that list are games like; Fable 2, Perfect Dark Zero, Project Gotham Racing 3, an unnamed Bioware RPG (makers of KOTOR and Jade Empire), Unreal Gears of War (another UC game), Citizen Zero (a MMORPG), The ELder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
Sounds a bit better than I expected; I have reasons to not be too excited about most of the list, but overall I think it's a good sign.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

melancholy wrote:
Ex-Cyber wrote: 3) Game pricing - If games cost too much there's not much sense sinking money into the console
The market has pretty much figured that $49.99 is the highest price the average gamer will pay for a new release. Note I said average, and not hardcore addicts. If they want to reach the average consumer, they will not stray far from this pricing. Of course, this all changes if you want to play games online...
Actually games prices are looking to rise in the 'next gen' as games become more graphics-whorish, sorry, graphics-intensive.

EA already confirmed they are raising their prices 20% or so quite a while ago, and I'm fairly certain other western developers will charge whatever they can get away with - EA is big enough to create the standard on this kind of thing unfortunately.

I'd expect most games at launch of the next set of console to be in the $60-$70 range.
melancholy wrote:
Ex-Cyber wrote:In my little corner of the world, I can't help thinking that this promo is going to do more for MTV than it does for Microsoft. :lol:
You talk as if this wasn't intended. I'd love to see figures on how much money MTV sunk into this deal, because I guarentee, it wasn't cheap.
MTV doesn't pay companiues to advertise on MTV :P

It's more likely just that MTV is a global tv channel that isn't CNN or whatever, and has 'cred' with MSs target audience
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

There is no way I would be prepared to pay that sort of money for videogames in the future. I don't care if it's the only way a lot of companies can push a reasonable profit, the day games hit that price point is the day I quit gaming.

There just isn't any value for money in it and I can't see myself missing out on much anyway. It's already quite a rarity to see me buying brand new games off the shelf. Excluding GBA stuff most games de-value fairly quickly, especially with the big pre-owned market now.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Dr Wily wrote:
melancholy wrote:
Ex-Cyber wrote: 3) Game pricing - If games cost too much there's not much sense sinking money into the console
Actually games prices are looking to rise in the 'next gen' as games become more graphics-whorish, sorry, graphics-intensive.

EA already confirmed they are raising their prices 20% or so quite a while ago, and I'm fairly certain other western developers will charge whatever they can get away with - EA is big enough to create the standard on this kind of thing unfortunately.

I'd expect most games at launch of the next set of console to be in the $60-$70 range.
That's commiting commercial suicide. Especially with our economy.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead