My little fan-related mod.

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Alexvrb »

FunkyPoopMonkey wrote:Again, I say this for like the 5th time now. I'm happy with my setup and I do not want advice.
What, is discussion of your publically posted mod now banned? Then why the hell did you bother posting, really? I don't think anyone here ever demanded anything of you. They were just voicing their thoughts. Don't take this the wrong way, but man you're being a dick.

Also, I think you missed the "externally accessible" part.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by FunkyPoopMonkey »

Alexvrb wrote:
FunkyPoopMonkey wrote:Again, I say this for like the 5th time now. I'm happy with my setup and I do not want advice.
What, is discussion of your publically posted mod now banned? Then why the hell did you bother posting, really? I don't think anyone here ever demanded anything of you. They were just voicing their thoughts. Don't take this the wrong way, but man you're being a dick.

Also, I think you missed the "externally accessible" part.
Read the whole topic. People kept telling me to do the exact same thing over and over, and I said no, and explained why. I was sick of repeating myself. As long as we're being childish about it, piss off.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Is that Turok in your avatar (like from oe of the gameboy versions?)? It kind looks like it :?
crc73
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by crc73 »

FunkyPoopMonkey wrote:And where do you think the air comes from? The damn air vents! The DC has them on the right side and rear. Go look.

"Risk killing your system." I'm sorry, I don't see the risk buddy. You obviously have no knowledge in electronics (hell I have little, but I was able to do this). If you're scared to open up your console, that's fine. But don't try telling me that my system is going to die, because the fan is using up a minuscule fraction of the total power. It's not that fragile.
There are vents on the underside too, I believe near where there is a processor - not with air gushing out though, just looks like a heat sink that allows transfer of heat to the outside. On all my PAL DC's, these vents were partially obscured with a sticker (a laser warning sticker, if I remember correctly). Don't know if it will make a difference in the long run, but I took them off anyway. (Incidently, these bottom vents reinforce the idea that you probably shouldn't be leaving your DC to run on a carpet).

Also, about the power taken by the fan, are you sure that it won't wear out the power supply board quicker? Surely if you give components more work than their designed to do, then they will deteriorate quicker?

Of course, the components used may have been over-speced in design, so you might never see a difference. I just brought it up because I've seen a power supply board fail before any other board in a DC under normal operating conditions. There are probably lots of factors involved though, ranging from amount of hours switched on, to ambient humidity.

Anyway, best of luck with it.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Ah, but there's the difference. You read something and think they're bossing you around. No one is telling you what to do. We're just suggesting that since you already have the rheostat, you could - as an alternative to replacing it with a resistor - drill a hole and have it accessible without opening the case. It would be unique and the envy of other DC owners.

OR you could replace it with a resistor. I think you'd end up spending just as much time installing a resistor of approximately the correct value. So at that point, wouldn't it be better to just leave the rheostat where it is? It's your call, and nobody said otherwise.

"I don't need your help, I can do it myself!"

Caboose: Contra. NES.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.