Monitor question

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Monitor question

Post by Skynet »

I've had this monitor since 1998, possibly 97 and everything has been upgraded around it and this has always stayed the same. I wouldn't mind a higher resolution than 1024x768 :lol:

Here's my question:

How are LCD monitors for gaming and just anything in general? Is there anything I should know about them before going out and purchasing one? Also, is there any brand I should stay clear of? How are dead pixels on these things, are they a major issue?

The problem lies here though, I can get one of the cheaper LCD monitors for a price range of $300 - $400 AU (remember the AU if you're gonna compare it to local prices ;)). The LCD screens I've seen in that price range don't do higher than 1024x768, but I can go a little bit more and get one that does. If I need to go a bit over, I won't mind.

Would I be better off just buying a CRT monitor so I'm paying less but also gaining a higher resolution. Are there pros and cons to each purchase, if so which outweighs the other?

Also, I would be able to get a 19" CRT for the same cost of a 17" LCD screen.

I appreciate your responses.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
SlammedNiss
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by SlammedNiss »

when I was looking at replacing my old worn out 17" CRT moniter last month, I started looking at 19" LCD's. I went to the local Circuity City, and started comparing them. They happened to have a 17" CRT and a 17" LCD right next to each other. The 17" LCD has an actual 17" screen size, where the CRT doesn't. I ended up just getting the 17" LCD, because it was much cheaper than the 19", and size-wise, it still looked "bigger" than the one I was getting rid of.

I paid like $340, minus 3 different rebates. I think the total price after rebates was around $240. It's a Samsung 712N.

Many people will say there is no quality compared to a CRT moniter. But I was more concerned about the space on my desk. If I had the choice, I'd go with the 17" LCD over a 19" CRT. I'm sure there are others here that wouldn't though.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Re: Monitor question

Post by melancholy »

Skynet wrote:Also, I would be able to get a 19" CRT for the same cost of a 17" LCD screen.
One thing you should know is that a 19" CRT isn't 19" at all, but it is actually 17.5-18". When they measure a CRT monitor, they include the outside frame as well. However, LCD's are measured by the screen, so a 19" is indeed a 19" screen. So in reality, a 19" CRT is about the same thing as a 17" LCD, which will probably help influence your decision.

As for LCD compared to CRT, it is amazing how much better screen quality is. Since I have a dual monitor setup, I had my 19" LCD next to my 19" CRT. I had them run various programs to display them on both screens. The picture quality on the LCD is tremendously better. One thing I did hear about gaming on an LCD is things tend to blur. Not true as long as you get a decent monitor. I was so impressed by my LCD, that I actually ended up ditching the CRT, despite it being a secondary monitor, and bought a 17" LCD. Now I have two ViewSonic's sitting side by side on my desk. It looks awesome.
Georgie
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Georgie »

I've got a benq 17 fp731 And LCD's are great
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 02&CatId=0
#1 quote
Orange_Ribbon wrote:I feel my crotch is a blank slate in witch to promote spider man, or captain america.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

SlammedNiss: Thanks for the info.
Mel wrote: One thing I did hear about gaming on an LCD is things tend to blur. Not true as long as you get a decent monitor. I was so impressed by my LCD, that I actually ended up ditching the CRT, despite it being a secondary monitor, and bought a 17" LCD. Now I have two ViewSonic's sitting side by side on my desk. It looks awesome.
So basically if I just ask the retailer about it, get a convo going as to which would blur, if any?

Georgie: That's a nice monitor, but I don't like the stand it's on :P However, that would fall into the price range I wanted to spend, even after US > AU conversion.
How is gaming on it? No blur?

How about dead pixels then? Should I make sure I get one with a decent warranty incase this occurs? One screen I was looking at said it had a 30day dead pixel warranty. In terms of this type of warranty, should it be longer? Or do most brands have a similar date?

Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Just been doing some researching and they say a response time of about 15 - 17ms is something you wanna look for in gaming. I've found some with that response time, would they be the ones I wanna target more than anything else?

Also, it says having a contrast of about 600:1 or 700:1. Can onyone with lower figures fill me in on how their screen looks? The ones I've been finding are about 450:1

One that I just found was this benq
http://www.benq.com.au/Showproduct.asp?prodID=362

mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

Just tell the salesman to play a video on it. If the video staggers or blurs, you'll have the same problem with games.

I work a lot with CAD and graphic design, and I'll take a high quality CRT over a cheap LCD any day of the week. A really good LCD is really expensive.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
Georgie
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Georgie »

Skynet wrote: Georgie: That's a nice monitor, but I don't like the stand it's on :P However, that would fall into the price range I wanted to spend, even after US > AU conversion.
How is gaming on it? No blur?

How about dead pixels then? Should I make sure I get one with a decent warranty incase this occurs? One screen I was looking at said it had a 30day dead pixel warranty. In terms of this type of warranty, should it be longer? Or do most brands have a similar date?
I bought mine from new egg last spring and there policy on dead pixels
is seven dead to be returnable.(for dead pixels)
when I recieved mine it had one dead pixel on the side of the screen
and I almost never notice it EDIT *no dead pixels since*
Also haven't hade any "ghosting" issues with movies or high end games
(mostly play Sims2,Black and White,and Half Life 2)
And the desk stand realy wasn't that bad it comes out even with the front of the LCD but there are also two screw mounts for hanging on the wall
(how I have mine)
#1 quote
Orange_Ribbon wrote:I feel my crotch is a blank slate in witch to promote spider man, or captain america.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

mariobro wrote: A really good LCD is really expensive.

But they're soooo worth it. /me hugs his 19in samsung.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Georgie
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Georgie »

Just found this http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6824209002

Panel TFT LCD
Screen Size 17"
Display Type SXGA
Maximum Resolution 1280x1024
Recommended Resolution 1280x1024
Pixel Pitch 0.264mm
Brightness 270 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio 450:1
Response Time 12ms
195.99 w/ free shipping
#1 quote
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

^^^ I have a very similar LCD (the specs are the same but the brand is different, so I assume its the same components as they look identical).

But in any case, I have absolutely had no problems with this.... 1280x1024 resolution is very nice, and I notice no flickering or blurring while playing games (granted only games i play are Warcraft 3, and Quake 3 Arena).

And although CRT's have a better 'quality'... LCDs seem to have more vibrance in their color, and a brighter picture. Just my opinion, good luck :)
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Get this bad ass mofo:

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/deskt ... ies/vx924/

4 ms response time means no blur and happy gaming.
Very sexy hero, omg
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Thanks for the input. Those links were to see what kind of deals there are, but aren't quite what I can get. I have to check Aussie retailers. And preferably one that's within driving distance so I don't have it sent in the mail.