Xbox Live & wireless

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Xbox Live & wireless

Post by CoasterKing »

I was feeling bored & masochistic this week so I upgraded from Windows ME to XP Professional, bought myself a wireless router and set up a small network.

I just want to know what I'll need to set up my Xbox for Live as I don't want to have it in the same room as my PC anymore (comfort & huge TV reasons). Do I need some kind of special bridge and are they expensive? Any specific recommendations would be appreciated.

Also in my upgrading frenzy I managed to accidently lose 20Gb of stuff while merging two partitions together but that's another story :tosser:
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

You can get an adapter. They are expensive as hell ($85, or around 40-50 pounds), but work well. I have the Xbox Live Wireless G Adapter by MS. You can find it on eBay.

A Wireless G bridge, at least a good one, runs $100+, so it's not a bad deal. Once you've set the adapter up on your Xbox, you can use it for other systems as well.
Very sexy hero, omg
mattcky666
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mattcky666 »

i have a netgear ethernet bridge and its quite good but sometimes it lags

it'll be gone soon though when i move
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

I was feeling bored & masochistic this week so I upgraded from Windows ME to XP Professional,
As opposed to just Masochistic? ME.... *shudder*

Anyways, Linksys makes a Wireless B and a Wireless G Game adaptor. It can be used along the lines of a bridge, but also will allow two to be linked (Say, wanted to play multi-Xbox Halo 1) And some other nifty things. methinks that you'll need to do MAC address limiting to curb unauthorized access, since it requires an unencrypted network (I think, we haven't carried them for a LOOONG time)
Smiley wrote:I was bored and like to hear myself talk, that's all....
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

This would work with maximum good looks, minimum fuss, and do what the linksys thing would do too.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/produ ... ENTID=9752
Smiley wrote:I was bored and like to hear myself talk, that's all....
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Avoid the linksys game products like the plague. They are turds.
Very sexy hero, omg
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

i have a linksys Wlan router, and it works great, my mother has the same one installed, it also runs problem free

but back to the wlan adapter, id go with a wireless B adapter, you will most likely only use it for your xbox anyway, and i doubt your external internet is faster then 11 mbit, so dont waste money on a 54 mbit adapter

and i use MAC filtering in all the wlan systems i admin, it is simple to set up, and it provides ample security, unless you live next door to a notorious hacker, but then only god can save you anyway

and how is going from me to xp masochistic?
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

Going from ME to XP isn't masochistic but the process of backing up 4 years worth of data and upgrading most certainly is. It's a small price to pay for stability though.

Anyway cheers for the advice guys. I can get a Wireless-B ethernet gaming adaptor for about ?35 so that will probably do the job just fine.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

You should really get a "G" adapter. Seriously, the difference is performance is amazing. It may say 11mbps transfer on the B, but it's not that. When my old wireless setup occasionally dropped into "B" mode, I lagged so bad in Halo 2 it was unplayable. This was on 1.5 mbps DSL.

Considering you can get the Live G Adapter for a few bucks more, and it's super easy to set up, I'd get that.
Very sexy hero, omg
U.2.K.
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: Xbox Live & wireless

Post by U.2.K. »

CoasterKing wrote:I was feeling bored & masochistic this week so I upgraded from Windows ME to XP Professional, bought myself a wireless router and set up a small network.

I just want to know what I'll need to set up my Xbox for Live as I don't want to have it in the same room as my PC anymore (comfort & huge TV reasons). Do I need some kind of special bridge and are they expensive? Any specific recommendations would be appreciated.

Also in my upgrading frenzy I managed to accidently lose 20Gb of stuff while merging two partitions together but that's another story :tosser:

Your avatar and sig is scary dude, serious. :lol:
" Dreamcast Making a Come back in the Future,
its like 9/9/99 all over again, only difference, its forever "
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

einbebop44 wrote:You should really get a "G" adapter. Seriously, the difference is performance is amazing. It may say 11mbps transfer on the B, but it's not that. When my old wireless setup occasionally dropped into "B" mode, I lagged so bad in Halo 2 it was unplayable. This was on 1.5 mbps DSL.

Considering you can get the Live G Adapter for a few bucks more, and it's super easy to set up, I'd get that.
I think I will go for the G adapter as I don't mind paying a bit extra for top performance. I can get one from Amazon for ?50 but I'll have a look around and to see if I can get one cheaper anywhere else.
U.2.K. wrote:Your avatar and sig is scary dude, serious. :lol:
:twisted: