Upgrade to Windows XP x64 For Free

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
bizzle
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Upgrade to Windows XP x64 For Free

Post by bizzle »

Saw this on another forum and figured maybe someone here might be interested. Last I heard Windows XP x64 was still crap, but I don't know becuase I don't use it (or have a 64-bit processor).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bi ... fault.mspx
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I have a 64-bit CPU, but I see no reason whatsoever to run 64-bit Windows on it at this time. Lousy driver support, and absolutely zero 64-bit software is available.

64-bit Linux is another story - 99% of Linux drivers work on all supported architectures, and the vast majority of software works in native 64-bit too. Although there's no real reason to bother with it as yet, there's also no reason not to bother with it.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

The main thing holding me back is lazyness and driver support. I tmight be worth trying out 64bit Linux as i'd like to have dual boot Linux and Windows
Raijin Z
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Raijin Z »

BlackAura wrote:...I see no reason whatsoever to run 64-bit Windows on it at this time. Lousy driver support, and absolutely zero 64-bit software is available..
Amen. Never mind the fact that early adopters of 'new' technology always get screwed in a hurry. Would you have liked to have had one of the first LCD monitors released to the consumer market, or a new one with most of the kinks worked out?
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

I'll be installing the final in a few weeks. Don't see any reason not to.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Raijin Z
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Raijin Z »

...mayhap because by the time Longhorn is on the shelves, there will be enough 64 bit applications and drivers to necessitate moving up from XP32?
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Yeah, all I've heard is Windows XP x64 is crap, but I figured, what the hell, maybe someone likes it.
NiGHTSFTP2
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by NiGHTSFTP2 »

I've used various betas and public releases of X64 and have been more happy with it in each release. RC1 was great, RC2 was amazing.

The final shipping version I havent bothered installing yet, maybe sometime next week.

The only problem I see it not enough native 64-bit software yet... but all the 32 bit stuff runs speedy enough, and Windows x64 seems a little faster to me.
[NiGHTSFTP - Joined: 20 Nov 2001 - Banned: ??/2003 - I think its been long enough...]
Skater_dusto
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Skater_dusto »

I've used it at work lots and to be honest people on the internet bash everything like there's no tomorrow. It's fine, although I don't have any 64-bit apps to test it out with. )()(

If I owned a computer with a 64-bit processor I'd probably have all the drivers that I need. But as far as a public release is concerned there's so many odd drivers out there that will probably never be translated to 64-bit, or maybe I'm going about this wrong.
Georgie
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Georgie »

Tried it not that diffent then reg 32bit xp
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

I have a 64b processor... will this still be free when it's actually worth getting?
Skater_dusto
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Skater_dusto »

That's a good question impetus... my understanding is that, and don't quote me on this, AMD's? 64-bit processor machines will come equiped with windows xp 64-bit edition sooo.... I'd think so? But who knows, it's m$.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

BlackAura wrote:I have a 64-bit CPU, but I see no reason whatsoever to run 64-bit Windows on it at this time. Lousy driver support, and absolutely zero 64-bit software is available.
I have a 64 bit CPU but the Alpha lost support from MS sometime around NT 4.0 . ;)
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I have a 64 bit CPU but the Alpha lost support from MS sometime around NT 4.0 . ;)
You actually have an Alpha? Neat. Where'd you manage to get that from?
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

BlackAura wrote:Where'd you manage to get that from?
Our university seems to dispose of hardware on a regular basis - with increasing regularity towards the end of each academic year. Since Friday marks the end of this year, the past few weeks have seen a lot of rich pickings.
19" Ilyama monitors? Shame I don't own a car, really..

Edit: By rich pickings, I mean stuff other than the usual pentiums, 486s, Mac 68ks and torrents of 14" monitors.