New Genesis Emulator?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by Quzar »

He actually is paying for a service that blocks all the whois info, so there might be no way to know exactly who the webhost is. I'm not all that savvy in that area, but i suppose the only thing to do would be delete all mention of the name of it, and links to the site.

it will just sit and rot if nobody can get to it.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
groundbeef
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by groundbeef »

Never mind....

*shakes head*

I find it too odd that everyone has time to jump all over this guy, but yet there is never time to code...

ODD.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Idiot!
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

Skynet wrote:I told you BaldMonk.
You sure did :(

Wow... I always thought Ian was a stand up guy... and out of this "area" he is... but I'm not too pleased to find what he's done here... quite saddening really.

:(
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

groundbeef wrote:Never mind....

*shakes head*

I find it too odd that everyone has time to jump all over this guy, but yet there is never time to code...

ODD.
Thats like saying, why do you have time to post that right now, but not be a millionaire? The two things are so different in the amount of time and concentration required that whay you said just doesnt make any sense.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

"This guy" is by far the worst excuse for a "developer" we've ever had here. He has repeatedly stoled the work of others, and tried to pass it off as his own.

He has done that to me personally a grand total of three times for major projects - Genesis Plus / DC (his earlier port that he swore wasn't based on my port, even though it obviously was), Quake (RADQuake was heavily based on my nxQuake code, although he claimed it wasn't, and most of the additional work was done by Fragger who was never really credited and was repeatedly treated like crap), and then Genesis Plus / DC again (Gencast).

He did it repeatedly with MAME. He did it with several ports of PC games. He did it with several other emulators. The guy is nothing but a leech. He has consistently lied, stolen, treated others like dirt, flamed everyone who disagreed with him, and far worse things.

All of the coders here have known this for years. Pretty much since he first started. All the moderators and admins know too. Many of the community know. But there's a lot of people (and you're obviously one of them) that don't know, and don't realise what kind of person Reaper really is. He leeches off the hard work of others, he takes everything he can get his grubby little paws on, and he gives absolutely nothing back.

And yes, I know he hates being called Reaper, but I really don't care. I hate it when people abuse the hard work and generosity of others are Reaper continues to do, but does that stop him?
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

groundbeef wrote:Never mind....

*shakes head*

ODD.
You really don't have a clue, do you?

Even if all Ian did was make a few hacks and add in a menu interface, I'm guessing from previous posts in the thread, wouldn't have been there a legal way for him to do this (give credit where it is due, provide source code like he was supposed to)? It's pathetic and sad he went about this in the way he did.

I'm sorry this happened the way it did BA; despite this, we know you will be able to deliver the real deal which is something he can never do.
groundbeef
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by groundbeef »

Done with this argument*

I guess I will go get ready for my day. Good day to you all....hopefully you can stop this "Tyrant" before he ends the world.
Last edited by groundbeef on Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

well, the fact of the matter is, not every emulation community has a nutty australian man with a heart condition, a strange affection for limp bizkit covers, and varying degrees of kleptomania.

us, we're special.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

groundbeef wrote:I haven't seen this much life in the community here in a long time...

Noone ever has time to code.
Noone ever has time to post updates.

But everyone runs and sprints to the scene when someone rocks the boat. I find this community heavy with procrastination. HEAVY. Don't even say that there isn't any procrastination either. I have witnessed it first hand. I find the morality of this community very odd. We don't want people like Ian doing what he does, yet we won't do anything to improve upon what we have. "I have too busy of a life" or " i have too much college work" or " I have too many things in my life"....

Then fine, quit and don't come back if it is too much. I find it odd that everyone is here to post and take the time to write letters to web site hosts and complain, but noone has any time to code. I find it very sick that you guys degrade Ian for what he has done, when you guys don't really do much of anything to promote better actions. Emulation is all very questionable, so why does it bother so many people what Ian does? Are you afraid he will show you all up? I don't see a point to attacking him or fearing a threat. Stop bitching about him and do some constructive work, otherwise go on with your life and get the heck out of the community.
if he had released it without violating licenses and such there would have been no problems. yes there is procrastination, but we arent on his case for working on something that isnt his, the problem is that he claims that he made it and on top of that violates multiple licenses in doing so.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

groundbeef wrote:I haven't seen this much life in the community here in a long time...

Noone ever has time to code.
Noone ever has time to post updates.

But everyone runs and sprints to the scene when someone rocks the boat. I find this community heavy with procrastination. HEAVY. Don't even say that there isn't any procrastination either. I have witnessed it first hand. I find the morality of this community very odd. We don't want people like Ian doing what he does, yet we won't do anything to improve upon what we have. "I have too busy of a life" or " i have too much college work" or " I have too many things in my life"....

Then fine, quit and don't come back if it is too much. I find it odd that everyone is here to post and take the time to write letters to web site hosts and complain, but noone has any time to code. I find it very sick that you guys degrade Ian for what he has done, when you guys don't really do much of anything to promote better actions. Emulation is all very questionable, so why does it bother so many people what Ian does? Are you afraid he will show you all up? I don't see a point to attacking him or fearing a threat. Stop bitching about him and do some constructive work, otherwise go on with your life and get the heck out of the community.
You still don't have a clue.

Emulation in of itself is not questionable. If you have any of the collections (midway treasures, whatever), many of those games are emulated. |darc| made a good post in off topic of why emulators in themselves are useful and legit.

As for "procrastination", many of the coders do this as a hobby while juggling real life. They OWE you nothing. They have NO obligation to serve your needs. I'm suprised many of them just don't bag it and write these things for themselves and not deal with the general public.

Looks like a lock may be in order...
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

groundbeef, seriously, shut the hell up. If you don't know how people are around here, LEAVE! NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO HANG AROUND HERE. If people aren't coding fast enough for you, DO IT YOURSELF.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I'm sorry this happened the way it did BA; despite this, we know you will be able to deliver the real deal which is something he can never do.
Thank you for the vote of confidence. It will happen eventually. But I am something of a perfectionist - I will only release something I consider worthy. Considering how far it's come, and considering that you guys have the preview releases (and now this, unfortunately) to tide you over until I'm ready, I'm aiming as close to perfection as I can reasonably manage. It's a lofty goal, but I'm sure I can do it.

groundbeef - You are aware that all of the coders around here are in fact extremely busy, aren't you? Most of us are either employed full-time, or are full-time students (often with additional part-time jobs). The free time I have is effectively zero. Today is actually the first day off I've had in nearly three weeks. And this isn't really unusual for me, and I'm sure it's not unusual for anyone else here. Y'know - the real world is actually out there, and it has to come before leisure activities.

And no, I'm not afraid that Reaper will out-do me. He never has in the past, despite spending six months solid doing nothing but Dreamcast stuff. He just doesn't have the talent, the knowledge, or experience. And this isn't me being egotistical or anything, it's just plain fact. In fact, the current development versions of GP/DC are better than Gencast. Quite a lot better, in fact. But I'm not going to release them, because they still aren't good enough.

If Reaper did want to contribute, that's fine. Why do you think we tend to release the source code for just about everything? It's not just for fun. The idea is that anyone can come along, and make enhancements to it, as long as they share those enhancements. Reaper doesn't do that, and never has. He just takes stuff.

He should have been honest about what he was doing, and properly complied with the licensing conditions of GP/DC. That includes not mis-represeting the program, and sharing the modified source code. Under those conditions, he was allowed access to the GP/DC source code, and he chose to break those conditions. The fact that he hasn't really added anything significant is irrelevant - he still should have done it the right way.

Basically, you sound like someone who is only in it for free stuff. If that's the case, fine. I don't care. Go and worship people like Reaper, who make minor modifications to other people's code, lie, cheat, steal, and proclaim themselves to be the second coming of Christ. Just don't whine and complain if we're not working fast enough for you, and don't accuse us of not caring.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

BlackAura wrote:
If anyone has any ideas, feel free. I just don't know what to do with it.
How about promoting a genuine release with a genuine cover:
Across the Universe
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

Oh another half assed and stolen emu out. Another reason why my DC remains in my closet. I see the link referring to the offending site has been removed from the front page. Have fun on your crusade guys thats what really matters right?
groundbeef
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by groundbeef »

Black Aura-

Taking time is fine. To be honest, perfection is fine as well. I don't know about everyone elses DC, but mine isn't getting any younger and they aren't produced anymore. The mere fact that Gen Plus, Nester, Famicast hasn't been updated in more than a year is a testament to the lack of concern of finishing. If so, fine. Just don't get peoples hopes up. I am not looking for "free" material. I have paid my whole life for nearly all of what I have. I have probably paid over 40,000 dollars to gaming. I understand that what Ian has done is unethical, but it is trully odd everyone jumps out of the woodwork when someone does what he did....

It just seems very odd that noone has time for anything, but then Ian makes an emu that rips from someone elses code and BAM!!!! All of the community is out posting here and ready to pick up axes and pitchforks to assassinate. Does it really take someone like Ian to spark interest again?
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

HAHA! Now Reaper requires you to fill out an application to be part of his forum.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

I'm just glad that I don't have to day anything.

And can someone PM me the link to his site? The NGEmu site doesn't exist seemingly, the Sourceforge site is bare, and the forum link has a bunch of "Hax0red by J0xor" on it before it redirects to Google.
I want to see what the tard has to say about himself now.
No signature.
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

Lets not forget that the whole reason why people code for the DC in the first place: Its for the love of the system (and gaming in general)! Its a risk that you take when you have an open source that people won't give credit to those who deserve it. I am sorry this happened, but it was bound to in one way or another. I think someone should retailate by taking Ians hacked code and hacking it as well. That would be interesting. Well guys do whatever you need to do and lets not forget why you started coding in the first place.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

groundbeef wrote:Black Aura-

Taking time is fine. To be honest, perfection is fine as well. I don't know about everyone elses DC, but mine isn't getting any younger and they aren't produced anymore. The mere fact that Gen Plus, Nester, Famicast hasn't been updated in more than a year is a testament to the lack of concern of finishing. If so, fine. Just don't get peoples hopes up. I am not looking for "free" material. I have paid my whole life for nearly all of what I have. I have probably paid over 40,000 dollars to gaming. I understand that what Ian has done is unethical, but it is trully odd everyone jumps out of the woodwork when someone does what he did....

It just seems very odd that noone has time for anything, but then Ian makes an emu that rips from someone elses code and BAM!!!! All of the community is out posting here and ready to pick up axes and pitchforks to assassinate. Does it really take someone like Ian to spark interest again?
maybe because he stole BlackAura's code and deliberatly violeted several licenses in the process. its obvious you haven't been here long, no one in this community wants it to be dragged down with crap like this.