New Genesis Emulator?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Genesis Emulator?

Post by APE »

<LyingWake> URL Removed

Some highly amusing bits:
Coding - Ian micheal

and:

4) You must not distribute altered versions of this Gencast or it's
documentation and call it your own.

Paging Dr Metafox, paging Dr Metafox.

Edited by BlackAura: Removed the URL. Not just because I'm annoyed (although I am). Gencast is clearly an unauthorised derivative of Genesis Plus / DC, and is being distributed in violation of the license Genesis Plus was released under. As such, it is warez, and subject to the same rules.

APE sez: Agreed. Fackue and I were tearing it apart last night and it smelled all over like gen+. Theres other fun bits in the 1st_read.bin when you descramble it that are in plaintext.
Last edited by APE on Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
typoEDR
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by typoEDR »

How does the sucker run? I can't quite get to my DC right now...
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

I heard it ran pretty good with sound. Haven't had a chance to try it yet.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Coding - Ian micheal
:D hehe, i knew it. Its hard to stay away from this place.

*edit*
Just played it. Though the intro is pretty cool, but some times is a bit much. VERY impressive. Glad to see another Gen emu in the works.
Last edited by Nico0020 on Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Link2k4
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by Link2k4 »

just play it , you won't regret it.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

I just ran sonic 3 on it, the sound was horrible for a short while then died. The 68k emulation runs too fast with some minor video errors. The 68k runs too fast in Golden Axe as well. Seems to be a trend. The sound on Golden Axe was better, but far from perfect. Good thing I've got a small hoard of genny titles and a JVC X'Eye.

EDIT: Theres also about 20-30sec worth of stuff one can't skip.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

EDIT: Theres also about 20-30sec worth of stuff one can't skip.
Why not just remove the crap and call it your own? :lol:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Runs Awesome! Plays awesome! Even the intro is awesome! REALLY AWESOME!
So fast! So many games! Zip support!
In one word... excellent :mrgreen:
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Then how can Ian M be responsible for it? :?

BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

Skynet wrote:Then how can Ian M be responsible for it? :?
Now now... play nice.

OOh. I can't wait to have a fiddle with it.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

This emulator violtes multiple user licenses for the many components it uses including: libSDL, libz, libpng, the cmz80 z80 emulator, fame, and the icing on the cake: it is a hack of the genesis plus port to the DC(i would guess it uses one of BA's newer releases), which is required by license to have source released.

In short, very illegal regardless of the source.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Give me about ten minutes to verify it. I have a horrible suspicion that it's just a hack of GP/DC (and yes, GP/DC does run full speed with sound on 99% of games)

Amusing... From the FAQ:
Q: Why Sonic 2 and 3 don't have the music running properly?
A: A little bug that will hopefully be fixed in future version.
That sounds a lot like the bug in Genesis Plus. Which isn't even remotely difficult to fix, if you know what you're doing.

I haven't burned it, but I have looked at the binary. In all likelyhood, it is some version of Genesis Plus. I don't know if it's based on my port of Genesis Plus, but knowing the author, it's quite likely that it is in some way.

From the FAQ again:

Code: Select all

Q: How come some games seems to have missing colors?
 A: That's because the highlight/Shadow mode is needed, future version will support that.
Does anyone know what other well-known Genesis emulator for the Dreamcast has this same problem? That's right - Genesis Plus / DC with hardware rendering.

I don't want to make any accusations at this point, but...
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Now I have evidence, I'm willing to make some accusations.

Gencast is nothing but a ripped off copy of Genesis Plus / DC. Comparing Genesis Plus / DC with Gencast, you may notice that they both have many of the same bugs, especially in the rendering code. In fact, with one single exception, Gencast exhibits every bug on my rendering bugs list, and a fair few from the other bug lists too. Along with a lot of it's own bugs.

If anyone would like a copy of my buglist, so you can verify it yourself, please feel free to ask.

I am not in any way opposed to other coders taking my work, and improving on it. Genesis Plus is licensed under the GNU General Public License, which is designed to ensure the freedom of anyone to take the code, and modify it. If Charles MacDonald, the original author of Genesis Plus, had not licensed his code in that way, Genesis Plus / DC would not even exist, and neither would Gencast.

What does annoy me is when people steal the work of others, claim it as their own, and refuse to comply with the applicable licenses. That is exactly what Ian Micheal has done here. He has taken Genesis Plus / DC, made a few modifications to it (mostly the menu, which is rather crappy anyway), and claimed it as his own. It is being distributed in violation of the license under which is was distributed.

In short, Ian Micheal has stolen the work of all the coders who have contributed (directly or indirectly) to Genesis Plus / DC, which was offered in good faith and in the spirit of collaboration.

If that weren't bad enough, he has the nerve to ask for donations.

On behalf of myself (original author of the DC port of Genesis Plus, and of the 3D hardware accelerated renderer), Charles MacDonald (original author of Genesis Plus itself), St?phane (author of C68k, CZ80, and general contributor to Genesis Plus / DC), Fox68k (author of FAME), and all the other coders, artists, testers, supporters, and members of the community who have contributed to Genesis Plus / DC, I would like to express my sadness that Ian has chosen to abuse our work in this way.

Sorry for not naming everyone individually there. I'm afraid I can't remember everyone who has contributed something.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I told you BaldMonk.

Tis truely sad that Ian hasn't learnt anything from his time here.

bizzle

Post by bizzle »

This reminds me of the whole PearPC/CherryOS thing. Looks like reaper is still up to no good.

Edit: HAHA, Reaper is a tard. I guess he knows he'll be hearing a load of shit about this becuase the forum is set to have admins validate registrations. I guess Reaper isn't going to be letting people in he knows will tell him how it is.

I was reading about how they aren't giving up the source code and all I can do is laugh. This seems EXACTLY like the PearPC/CherryOS thing. BlackAura, I'm not sure what you (or the original author) can do about this, but whatever is possible to stop this retard, please do it. It's a shame to see crap like this.
Last edited by bizzle on Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
groundbeef
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by groundbeef »

Looks like someone IS working on something though...

*downloads Gencast*

I hope it plays Streets of Rage 3 good :D
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Xylene wrote:This reminds me of the whole PearPC/CherryOS thing. Looks like reaper is still up to no good.

Edit: HAHA, Reaper is a tard. I guess he knows he'll be hearing a load of poop about this becuase the forum is set to have admins validate registrations. I guess Reaper isn't going to be letting people in he knows will tell him how it is.

I was reading about how they aren't giving up the source code and all I can do is laugh. This seems EXACTLY like the PearPC/CherryOS thing. BlackAura, I'm not sure what you (or the original author) can do about this, but whatever is possible to stop this retard, please do it. It's a shame to see crap like this.
hehe, when I tried to register as quzar it simply said "this username has been disallowed"

oh, and i just found out that apparently Gencast was one of the early names for segagen (either that or some vaporware emu). how ironic.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

groundbeef wrote:Looks like someone IS working on something though...

*downloads Gencast*
Does hacking and breaking the code count as actual work? Well, good for you then.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Coding - Ian micheal
Ian micheal is a cheat & charlatan, Anyway I thought he left the DC scene, never to return (again) :roll:
Last edited by Matisfaction on Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I guess Reaper isn't going to be letting people in he knows will tell him how it is.
Yep. Remember on the IMRTech forums, when he kept deleting everything he didn't agree with? I highly doubt he'd let me in there either this time, because he knows I'd lay into him immediately.
BlackAura, I'm not sure what you (or the original author) can do about this, but whatever is possible to stop this retard, please do it.
Sod all, really.

You can't reason with him. We tried before (the last time he did this, and the time before, and the time before that). He just throws a fit and threatens to leave (which he's done three times before, and each time he came back), ignores you and continues doing whatever he was doing, or cries foul and tries to convince everybody he's in the right and you're the one in the wrong.

I suppose we could send a takedown notice to whoever hosts his website. That won't keep him down, but it might wipe out his web presence for a while. Actually, that might not be a bad idea. Most web hosts are too paranoid of legal action to leave any site up when they get a takedown notice, even if it actually doesn't contain any infringing content. Still, it wouldn't eliminate the root cause of the problem.

If anyone has any ideas, feel free. I just don't know what to do with it.