Problem with A/V out box on RGB Scart lead

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Andeh
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Problem with A/V out box on RGB Scart lead

Post by Andeh »

i bought an RGB Scart lead for my dreamcast with the A/V out connections on it so I could connect it to my computers Line-in and to my tv capture card.
Well the audio works fine but theres no signal getting to the tv-card for video.
Is there anyway I can get inside this lead to try and see whats wrong?
it looks like this
Andeh
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Andeh »

15 views and no one can help me?
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

Sounds more like a problem with the TV card than the DC cable, but if it is the cable then test it - use the A/V bits and connect to a TV, if theres a picture then its the TV card, if there's no picture then its the cable.

Basically (if its the cable) you arent gonna be able to open up that AV block without cracking the plastic so only do this if your sure, get it open however you can (maybe wedge a knife in to split where the two sides join) and just look for capacitators or resistors that lead to the yellow plug, then test with a multimeter if they're blown (no current passes), if they are replace them. Simple.

Im not responsible by the way if whilst trying to get the AV block open you stab yourself in the hand. Good luck.
Orange_Ribbon wrote:It is also the reason why you can't wear tight pants. Damn anal warts.

Millenium Falcon Dreamcast
Andeh
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Andeh »

yeah lol I already tried everything you said there, its is the cable since i tried connecting it to the TV and it was the same. I tried to get into the box with a knife but its a lot harder than it sounds.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

When in RGB mode, the dreamcast appears to disable its composite video output so you won't get anything meaningful from the yellow AV socket. Unfortunately, there isn't much that can be done about this odd behaviour.

The cable itself switches the Dreamcast into RGB mode by bridging pin 7 of the AV connector to ground. If you disabled this it'd then output a composite signal for use with the TV tuner card.
Andeh
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Andeh »

i see, that would make sence since I know there is a signal coming from the yellow connector, (hence it does work) but it disappears instantly.
So what you're saying is I need to break the connection between pin 7 on the rgb lead and the a/v connector on the dreamcast?
Andeh
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Andeh »

ok i tried breaking the connection between pin 7 on the RGB lead and the A/V connector on the DC. All it did was disable RGB by the looks of it but the composite still did not work
ptr.exe
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ptr.exe »

The thing is i knew that and yet didnt realise that was the cause... stupid me.

Why dont you just use composite for your TV and have a simple splitter going to the TV card on your PC? the picture quality will be worse on your TV as no RGB and you may have to buy another composite cable for the DC if you cant mod that one, but at least it will work.
Orange_Ribbon wrote:It is also the reason why you can't wear tight pants. Damn anal warts.

Millenium Falcon Dreamcast
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Andeh wrote:ok i tried breaking the connection between pin 7 on the RGB lead and the A/V connector on the DC. All it did was disable RGB by the looks of it but the composite still did not work
Oh. I take back what I said then.
I was going by both of these diagrams which make it seem like Pin 7's the only one which controls RGB:
http://www.massystems.com/DC-VGA.html
http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/dricas.htm