I've made 5 coasters. Can you help me get NesterDC running?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Bishop
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I've made 5 coasters. Can you help me get NesterDC running?

Post by Bishop »

That's right, five. Five freaking CDs that have not worked. Coasters all.

I must be missing a step. Something, but I don't know what. Do I have to "finalize" or "close" the CD somehow? I'm not sure I'd even know how.

Okay, first I tried burning the Nero image available for download on the NesterDC site. Didn't work. Then I tried the DiscJuggler image. Didn't work.

Then I came here and tried to work with some of the tools on the site. DCFactory, Self-Boot Inducer, and Dreamboot. None of those has worked yet.

What am I doing wrong? Could someone point me at a step-by-step process guide or something?

Yes, this is my first attempt to get an emulator running on my DC. Since I'm new to this, I could easily be mucking something up somewhere, but I can't seem to find any mention of anything I'm failing to do. When I put the CD in my DC, it barely spins at all before the DC decides it can't read it. I even tried using my boot CD that helps me run my import games to try and get the blasted NesterDC running, but it didn't get any of these CDs to function.

So you guys are the masters. I'd appreciate it if you could give me a hand. What should I try now? What might I be doing wrong?
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

What version of nero are you using? And you're following the tutorial on how to brun using SBI, right? Also, you may want to try a different CDR drive.
Bishop
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Bishop »

It's Nero 6 Ultra Edition.

As for the instructions... well, that's been a bit of a problem with some of the programs I've tried. My computer won't always run the .DAT files that some of them tell me to run. And some of them also instruct me to working in MS-DOS... but I know jack about MS-DOS functionality.

So yeah, I'm pretty much stumbling into this blind.
linus2k3
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by linus2k3 »

say bishop, check your PM, and get in contact with me, i'll help you out
<am i human or wolf, it is up to you to decide

If you come to me saying you've tried everything, that only tells me that you've tried my stuff also, and it didn't work. so no sense in me helping you. Plain & Simple

LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

linus2k3: Keep in the this topic, so others can learn.

Bishop: Using the search feature, you will most always find your answer.

Here's a few recent topics:
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=65057
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=64364
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=60849
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=64104
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Bishop wrote:It's Nero 6 Ultra Edition.

As for the instructions... well, that's been a bit of a problem with some of the programs I've tried. My computer won't always run the .DAT files that some of them tell me to run. And some of them also instruct me to working in MS-DOS... but I know jack about MS-DOS functionality.

So yeah, I'm pretty much stumbling into this blind.
Try to find nero 5.5 or use a different program. The CDI to NRG convertor makes images only combatible to 5.5. I am having the same problem now because I tried to install 6.0 to a differerent DIR on a different drive, and it STILL mannaged to over right my 5.5. Luckily my GF doesn't need 6 (I havbe a DVD burner) so she kept 5.5 so I can burn stuff at her place.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Try to find nero 5.5 or use a different program.
http://www.oldversion.com
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

There is a program called cdi2tao that converts CDI to NRG that Nero 6 can burn correctly. Also, SelfBoot Inducer can create TAO images, if you have the SBI files.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

There is a program called cdi2tao that converts CDI to NRG that Nero 6 can burn correctly
As can CDI2Nero (the newest version, 0.9.9 beta). You just have to save the Nero image as a Track-at-Once image.

I forgot about that though, thanks for reminding me.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

As long as your nero is past version 6.3 it should work. between 6.0 and 6.3 there were problems where it wouldnt let it burn at all (it would say 'data to be written outside of normal user area' or something like that). If your CD burns but doesnt work then you did something wrong, and it has nothing to do with nero.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man