Mixing NTSC and PAL DC parts

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mixing NTSC and PAL DC parts

Post by mankrip »

Will a GD-ROM drive from a PAL DC work on a NTSC DC? If someone could test this for me I would really appreciate it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

Should.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

yes BUT there are different GD-ROM types that cant always be mixed and matched (depending on your PSU revision).

There were at least 2 revisions of GD-rom modules (one from yamaha and the other from samsung), and at least two different ntsc PSUs (one has a pot on it and the other doesnt).

Depending on the combinations they may be able to be mixed.

i wish someone would put together a database for different hardware revisions and version numbers. I have so much information in that area (since i have so many parts). For instance, there were two different SH-4 revisions AND 2 different pvr revisions which make up 3 different DC combinations. Important stuff for overclocking (since an sh4 rep told me the second revision was for heat and fab improvements).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

I classify the dc into four different versions:
1. Heatpipes, 2 pin fan
2. Heatspreader, 3 pin fan, Good for overclocking, Most Common
3. Heatspreader, 3 pin fan. Major Revision - GDROM Board integrated into mainboard (would be great for a portable project or DC in a PC). 8 inch ribbon cable from main pcb to gd laser. RARE.
4. Same as 3, but has bios protection against reading cdrs. You don't want this dreamcast version.

I don't think there are any more besides the prototypes. I have owned one of each of these. I only have a 1 and 3 now.