Help Requested: Neo Geo Emulator - Can't Burn

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
dczx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help Requested: Neo Geo Emulator - Can't Burn

Post by dczx »

On:

http://www.dcemulation.org/dcemu-mdcng.htm

I have followed these instructions many times and burned about 10 coasters. I just got a Dreamcast yesterday. I want to play normal Neo Geo carts, not Neo Geo CD's. Could someone please help me through this process? Is there a better emulator?

thanks
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

Have you got any other homebrew working on the DC? It could also be because your DC is too new, check out this link:
http://www.dcemulation.com/article-supported.htm

Also dont use nero6, just use nero 5.5 (6 seems to have problem burning DC images).

AFAIK most neogeo carts wont work due to their huge size when compared to the DC's RAM, they just wont fit. NeoCDs are ok because they are not roms, so there is no issues with memory.

Hope you get it working.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Carts? forget about it.
Mame in DC (any form of it) can only run some old and small mame neogeo roms.
for a NeoGeo MVS/AES emulator, buy a X-box and stick to it.

Good Luck.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

Wow, I didn't know that you could play Neo Geo carts on the Dreamcast. Where do you plug them in? Seems like they'd be a little bit too big to fit into the VMU slot.

...word is bondage...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Sweater Fish wrote:Wow, I didn't know that you could play Neo Geo carts on the Dreamcast. Where do you plug them in? Seems like they'd be a little bit too big to fit into the VMU slot.

...word is bondage...
hmmm awsome idea for summer project forming...
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Grimlock
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Grimlock »

While I sense a lot of sarcasm, that would be kind of cool. You could built some kind of wire that plugs into the VMU port on one end, and to a cartridge on the other (a long wire, long a controller's length). Then the set could come with a boot disc of some nature, like the GBA Player for Game Cube. This would require original cartridges, and reduce piracy. To bad it's probably impossible.

Hail Picard!
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

You might try searching through the forum archives because I definitely remember the possibilities for something like this being discussed at some length once. It might have been prior to the forums moving in 2001 or it might have been at consolevision, though.

The VMU port wouldn't be the best, probably. But directly to the controller port or maybe even through the expansion port might work.

I mean, I never kept up on it because it didn't seem terribly interesting to me (with out a completely new BIOS for the Dreamcast), but there was a project to get an IDE hard drive working through the expansion port which I think was successful, right?

...word is bondage...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

yea. g2 port.

too bad there are like a billion pins on the MVS carts =(.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

quzar wrote:too bad there are like a billion pins on the MVS carts =(.
It would be a matter of building an adaptor which encodes the signal of the pins, which shouldn't be very difficult. However, it depends on the DC reading and decoding it fast enough.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
dczx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by dczx »

Well, I guess it just won't work then. Unfortunately, I have yet to get anything to boot on my DC yet. I'm using Nero 5.5... tried both DAO and TAO images, but nothing. Sifting through mounds of tutorials, which, while I appreciate them, lack cohesiveness.
Sweater Fish
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Sweater Fish »

Fragger wrote:
quzar wrote:too bad there are like a billion pins on the MVS carts =(.
It would be a matter of building an adaptor which encodes the signal of the pins, which shouldn't be very difficult. However, it depends on the DC reading and decoding it fast enough.
Yeah, I think the original discussion centered more on the idea of just copying the entire game into RAM from the beginning rather than actually acessing it constantly as if it were a real cartridge port.

...word is bondage...
Grimlock
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Grimlock »

It wouldn't nessecarily have to be for Neo Geo cartridges, it could be for other consoles. A universal wire would be too hard, but perhaps different wires for different consoles. One's with a demand for it. Nintendo 64 for example.

Hail Picard!