So how is the new Dr. Who?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

So how is the new Dr. Who?

Post by abydos1000 »

So for those that were able to watch it, how was the new Dr. Who? (Started already, correct?). I suspect unless the sci-fi channel picks it up (the 45 min format will allow for commercials), it is going to be a long time before those of us in the US will see it. Most of the PBS stations are broke (and don't have a current contract anymore).
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Quite nice, wasnt too sure at first of the new doctor but shortly into watchin it he came good, just a shame they started with autons though. No regeneration shown either, possibly due to the crap doctor fromt he us produced one not bein available &/or wanting to excise that one from history & our minds
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Untamed
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Untamed »

I'm pretty sure it is, or going to be, running on a Canadian channel too. I saw a commercial for it the other day, but I didn't pay much attention.
"Ignorance can be cured, stupidity cannot."
Roofus wrote:Gay marriage and donkey rape are the same thing. Duh. :roll:
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

It was like they gave the writer of it terminator 2: judegment day as a reference point, rather than any previous doctor whos :|

Maybe that was just to lure new viewers in by having an incoherent 'action packed' plotline to start things off with, but the constant reference points of London, England (cos, like, everybody in London rides double decker buses, works on Oxford street and strolls along the Thames next to the London Eye :roll:) makes it pretty clear this is aimed squarely at anglophile americans rather than previous fans of the series.

It was disapointing, and not because the BBC don't have the talent pool to do a good remake of a tv classic - the recent remake of randall and hopkirk deceased was superb, for example.
mattcky666
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mattcky666 »

it was alright considering i wasnt really around to watch the older series

the cheesiness remains of crap looking enemies etc. and so far no daleks
Maybe that was just to lure new viewers in by having an incoherent 'action packed' plotline to start things off with, but the constant reference points of London, England (cos, like, everybody in London rides double decker buses, works on Oxford street and strolls along the Thames next to the London Eye) makes it pretty clear this is aimed squarely at anglophile americans rather than previous fans of the series.
the beeb cant stop using landmarks as a ??? tool
e.g. the london eye, not many non british people would recognise some of the places like oxford street so they have to have some way of telling people its in london

it's a bit random considering the series are made by BBC wales but its set in london - i doubt many people would recognise places like cardiff though
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

mattcky666 wrote:it was alright considering i wasnt really around to watch the older series

the cheesiness remains of crap looking enemies etc. and so far no daleks
So it still has the rickity sets and cheesy special effects? I don't care. I didn't watch the original for that anyway.
area
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by area »

Hawq wrote:Quite nice, wasnt too sure at first of the new doctor but shortly into watchin it he came good, just a shame they started with autons though. No regeneration shown either, possibly due to the crap doctor fromt he us produced one not bein available &/or wanting to excise that one from history & our minds
I was kind of hoping that he'd stroll out of the Tardis, go "Phew, who'd have thought the Daleks and Cybermen would team up? They nearly had me!"

I enjoyed it though. It doesn't take itself too seriously, which is what I was afraid of.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

I thought it was pretty good and was also glad it didn't take itself too seriously. I'm not sure about Billie Piper though. Her acting wasn't that bad but her giant mouth is very distracting.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Better than I thought it would be. Billie Piper I thought would have the acting skills of a cabbage, she was okay but as CoasterKing said...THE LIPS!
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

I haven't really watched any later eps of Doctor Who in quite a while (it's not like it's readily available around here, except on PBS). I have a working knowledge of the second doctor, and a pretty good knowledge of the third doctor, but know nothing of doctor number one or any of the later doctors.

Is UNIT still part of the plot? If so, are any of the old characters from UNIT revived in the new show?
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

curt_grymala wrote: Is UNIT still part of the plot? If so, are any of the old characters from UNIT revived in the new show?
UNIT was only a part of the Jon Pertwee Doctor Who because they didn't have much of a budget, so setting everything on contemporary earth was a lot cheaper than building sets for other planets / time zones.

The brigadier popped up in a bunch of cameos for various other doctors, but nobody else from that era popped up again afaik.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

i work near oxford street and live near tower bridge... what do i win.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

chavs trying to mug you on the way to work
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Leicester Square was full of them yesterday
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Dr Wily wrote:chavs trying to mug you on the way to work
damn... you're right. shit, where's my phone?
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Camden Market by now
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

mattthemodder wrote:Better than I thought it would be. Billie Piper I thought would have the acting skills of a cabbage, she was okay but as CoasterKing said...THE LIPS!
well, since I have to settle for clips from the BBC website for now, is it just me or is she missing her upper lip and has a big fat lower one? Hard to tell on a little real audio window (and the clips are on the dark side).
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

why do we have our lips so wide? because we want to! because we want to!
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

because we want to! because we want to!
*Thinks WTF*
*Thinks again*
*Remembers the song*
*shudders*
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

So how long do you give her to appear naked with a Dalek.