How are the neo dc emulators coming along.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

How are the neo dc emulators coming along.

Post by law56ker »

I ask both authors how their emulators are coming along, any new features? imporvements in compatibility etc..just curious because the neo geo had some great games. I still have to post my testing results.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Ive been working a lot on sound, and using the Dreamcast's sound hardware to do mixing and adpcm playing. There should be a new version out in the next week or so.

I have the feeling that speed is going to not be an issue in a short time. I plan for version 3 to have a HUGE surprise in it that should be VERY interesting :mrgreen:
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Hilltopper
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by Hilltopper »

I like surprises. Can you give us a hint as to what it might be?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I could. But I won't. :mrgreen:
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

I was wondering if your emulator wil have the feature to soft reset back to a menu of the emulator so you could put in another game without reseting the dreamcast. Also is there going to be any sort of menu where you could configure the emulator like neo4all. Maybe there was on the last version i just didn't see it.
zyloj
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by zyloj »

Excellent work, Quzar!
Neo4all is also getting good results with the last private version I could see some weeks ago.
We are very fortunate having two great neo geo cd emulators :)
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

law56ker wrote:I was wondering if your emulator wil have the feature to soft reset back to a menu of the emulator so you could put in another game without reseting the dreamcast. Also is there going to be any sort of menu where you could configure the emulator like neo4all. Maybe there was on the last version i just didn't see it.
i dont see the need for a menu at all. region switching i have had implemented since v5 of ian's emulator. and the other things neo4all changes i don't see as necessary.

Soft reset i have been hesitant to implement because if everything isnt cleared precisely (or even if it is) there is still the chance that there could be problems caused by repeated soft resetting.
zyloj wrote:Excellent work, Quzar!
Neo4all is also getting good results with the last private version I could see some weeks ago.
We are very fortunate having two great neo geo cd emulators
I tried one that was made 2 days ago. It seems they will be nearly identical by my next release except for compatability :wink:
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Hmm the soft reset is very nice in neo4all imo. also have the option to pick frameskip is nice, not to mention if any type of graphics filter is to be abled or disabled. I soft reseted many times in ne04all with no problems.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

the graphical filters in neo4alll are completely useless. they are hardware features designed for 3d that literally do nothing in 2d
dr apocalipsis
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dr apocalipsis »

Maybe it's a non sense since I don't understand the pride of a coder, or things like that, but...

Why don't you all work together in the researches of a unique NeoGeo CD emulator?

Competition is good, but collaboration could be better.

If you all share your knowledges could be great.
atentamente a su ombligo:
el dr. apocalipsis Nil

Don't hesitate about correct my english :oops:
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

What i have is vastly different from the original DC version and chui's.

Also, when it comes down to it, it ends up having to pretty much be a main author and a helper. I have been working on this since before Chui released a single thing for the Dreamcast. If he wanted to offer me help, I would accept it.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

quzar if you ever need a beta tester i have a bunch of neo geo games.
WaCk0
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by WaCk0 »

hey quzar, any news about the IPL.txt read problem? (Fatal Fury, Last Blade...)

Nice to see you're doing progress with NeoCD. :mrgreen:
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Apparently it has to do with the use of real CDs or copies. Some copies of the games that have the problem (that i know of only last blade and 2) simply arent recognized at all.

I WAS able to get the dreamcast to at least see the IPL.txt on Last Blade, but it required a convoluted way (open CD, scan all files, list all files, search for IPL.txt, then open it). I MAY rewrite the whole deal to do that, but it would be a PITA and I do not have an explaination as to why this would work, so I am hesitant to do it.
WaCk0
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by WaCk0 »

Oh, ok then.

I was thinking that "surprise" had something to do with this. :oops:

BTW, just bought AOF1 but doesnt run well, have tons of gfx glitches. I think its an emulation problem, since doesnt work on nebula too. Oh well :?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

The surprise is much bigger than support for 2 games ;)
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Does it have anything to do with MMU support? ;)
Competition is good, but collaboration could be better.
Depending on the project and on the schedules/coding styles of the programmers, sometimes it's easier or more effective for emulator programmers to collaborate by working independently and sharing their findings and sometimes pieces of code, rather than all trying to work on the same program. This is basically what has driven advances in Genesis and SNES emulation for years...
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Snayperskaya
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Snayperskaya »

omg u implemented online gaming??
hahaha, j/jk.

btw, what's up with the ABXY being pressed and the screen going black? it doesn't seems a reset.
SEGA: More than a softhouse, a legend.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

whoops. thats what i use to exit when testing. I guess I forgot to take it out.
Salamander2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Salamander2 »

good.
i have some ideas too. but i will wait to talk about them later.
"...they are carrying the last hope: to save planet Gradius...on their wings..."
GRADIUS TRIBUTE for Dreamcast!