NesterDC SE Release Delayed (beware p.8 for 56k'ers)

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Sir Savant »

See. Its just the life of a devver, and since scherzo cant be in hacker mode, we wont see it in three days (which is my estimate, based upon scherzo's other works). Unless we donate. Lol.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Off topic again...

scherzo...who is that as your avatar? Looks familar, but it is bugging me that I can't place it.

One thing that may have been asked about NesterDC SE... will it fix games that have slow down on occasion or are you going for exact emulation?

:twisted: And there will be progressive scan support, right :twisted: . (hehehe)
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

Cant wait for this release! Scherzo that UI sounds amazing, will be cool to see what you can do with it alone.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Personally, I can't wait to play Mike Tyson's Punch Out!! full speed.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

DCmad wrote:What disgusts me the most is whenever i come here to look for any news, only this topic has new posts, and it's aways off topic.
So i just stick with Quake dev forum and dcemu.co.uk...
I see your point. I'll refrain from cluttering up this topic any more than it already is.

Back ON topic:
Over the weekend, I managed to get the solid beginnings of the CD building application done. It scans your ROMs (zipped or not), calculate their CRCs, and download the screenshots/manuals/titlescreens/cartscans directly from my website.

The game browsing in the emu is really sweet IMHO. It's kind of like the song selection in Pump It Up. Left and Right scroll through the games. Up and Down change the kind of image your a looking at. It defaults to the titleshot from the game. Pressing down then changes it to the in-game action screenshot. Press down again and you get the cart scan. Down one last time takes you back to titleshots. It's not that slow at all. The cart scans are a little slow but that's because they are bigger files.

You can also press X to see the manual for the currently selected game if it has one. I'll probably bind Y to listen to that game's NSF.

Once you've chosen a game with A, you can see that game's screenshots and stuff any time through the in-game menu accessed by analog-left+start. This is where you'll also be able to do other cool things like:

- Add game to favorites
- view maps (for games like Pirates)
- take notes (make use of that DC keyboard; keep track of codes for the old schoolers here)

Gotta run. My boss is a lurkin'....
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Somebody has cleaned up the topic. It was going so well too. Lol.

Anyways, like you said before, there was going to be a scripting language for this emu. So does that mean we will be able to customize the menu, like mapping the buttons differently, and changing where things go and how they show up? Like in the sbi boot disk we make. I dont know if you are understanding my question. Hope you do.

Its sounds cool, except the explanation of the menu is like you translated it from sound weird primitive language using babelfish.

Hope work speeds up. "Screenshots?" Good work!
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

sounds incredible.

and thanks for ignoring the B button =)
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

scherzo wrote:Over the weekend, I managed to get the solid beginnings of the CD building application done. It scans your ROMs (zipped or not), calculate their CRCs, and download the screenshots/manuals/titlescreens/cartscans directly from my website.

The game browsing in the emu is really sweet IMHO. It's kind of like the song selection in Pump It Up. Left and Right scroll through the games. Up and Down change the kind of image your a looking at. It defaults to the titleshot from the game. Pressing down then changes it to the in-game action screenshot. Press down again and you get the cart scan. Down one last time takes you back to titleshots. It's not that slow at all. The cart scans are a little slow but that's because they are bigger files.

You can also press X to see the manual for the currently selected game if it has one. I'll probably bind Y to listen to that game's NSF.

Once you've chosen a game with A, you can see that game's screenshots and stuff any time through the in-game menu accessed by analog-left+start. This is where you'll also be able to do other cool things like:

- Add game to favorites
- view maps (for games like Pirates)
- take notes (make use of that DC keyboard; keep track of codes for the old schoolers here)

Gotta run. My boss is a lurkin'....
Sounds awesome.

NSF playback would be one thing I really would love to see ...er...hear :)
Insane homebrew collector.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

"Screenshots?" Good work!
As much as people give their requests for the emu, I can't say I remember someone asking that, haha.

Screenshot would be cool.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

OK, here ya go:
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Looks like some Windows Media Skin reject.jk. I am hoping that last pic is of an nsf media player?
Good work! It looks super-leet. Very professional. Reminds me of that nes emu, the one with a rotating menu.

So will we be able to customize that, as per your scripting language? I hope it turns out to be similar to HTML.

Put a 56k sign for page 8 on the title of the topic.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

Hahahah die sega, we have scherzo, you don't :D

It's cool man, sexyer than Angelina Jolie... Ok, it's a lie.
But hell, it's a entertainnent system itself!
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

That's really cool. Is it possible goto a ROM all the way at the end of the disc, like Super Mario or Tecmo Football easily without pressing left / right a bunch of times? Is it possible to disable the screenshots and just have a list like how the current versions are?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

there ... IS gonna be an all text mode so that you can go by like 10 at a time etc right?
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

wow that looks really cool, is the loading of each pic going be fast? i hope it goes fast, cause pic previews in mame by ian is painfully slow.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

also could you make it so you could actually select from the menu if you want a text based game selection or the pic preview that whould be cool.
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

:mexwave: :dancey: :balle: :markdance: :mj:
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Those smaller screenshot load really fast. They are paletted pngs; only 2K each, or so. The cart scans go slower, oh well.

There will be a way to scroll at 5 or 10 at a time. There will also be a pure text mode browser too.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Very professional looking. I wouldn't say you would be out of line to charge a shareware fee. You've certainly put enough work into it.

I assume the "menu extras" are something that you build on a PC and then make your disc, correct?
jjoepr
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by jjoepr »

Awesome. Truly awesome indeed. :o