Ideas for Scherzo's NesterDC SE.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by gamedudex2 »

keyboard config for menu and game saving as an option. i just dont feel like doing stupid crap during games with controller by mistake :)

could do reset and power on keyboard .

netplay but dunno if that will happen anytime soon, but if does cool.

single game nester se (he has said he is going to do it, so thats ts cool)

light gun support
4 player support

does nes have any games with more than 4 players ?
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

How about video file support such as mpeg or wmv? I think it would be tha' bomb to watch the 11-minute beaten SMB3 on NesterDC.
Do you just mean any video with no real reference to any game? What you're suggesting, from what I gather, is just like a simple media player.

The way I invision it would be to have a small video clip playing for the game you wish to play. Kinda like the small clips you see in Sonic Mega Collection +, iirc.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Keep 'em coming. Someday soon I was going to go through the other topic and put everything together as one list. This thread might eliminate the need for that.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I thought Scherzo was going to say, "Thats what the delay thread is for." Lol.

Small movie playback would be nice, something proprietary like the zsnes movie files, except for nester. Anyone know of a pc nes emulator with that? Does FCEU allow that, cause if a current pc one does, He can just implement support for it in NesterDC. Plus it would be smaller than an mpeg or wmv, and I gather it would be easier to make too.

He already mentioned "skins", to make it easy for noobs to understand. How about background music while going through the menu?

Mouse support for the menu, customizable keys, not just for the menu, but for the games too, so people can use keyboards as a control pad (old skool pc emu, rofl) and mouse for the gun. Like the support on ZSNES or Snes9x, where you can toggle the stuff. It would be cool if that would be possible, to use the keyboard and stuff.

Make an intro for NesterDC, like on a prof. video game. It would be awesome if it was like in a proprietary movie format, that way anyone could make it and it wouldn't be too big.

Netplay, already mentioned. How about the VS link? Do you think thats possible? I mean, I dont recall a homebrew using it, but if its possible, then please try.

In game browser, and chat support. If there is netplay, so we can browse through available games and who is playing them. Like you cna make a list of multiplayer games and there would be lobbies for each or something. Like sending account info to the central server and then those who link up can search on the server for possible opponents, but not use up all the server bandwidth, like what p2p does.

VMU cheat files, so we can just place cheat files and stuff on the net and others can download them, instead of having to burn the cheat files on the disc.

A small logo on the vmu would be nice, or a scrolling marquee. To really make it look official.

Thats a lot of stuff. If even half is done, I will be eternally gratefull. Maybe you should make boxed sets, with homebrew roms and stuff. Sign the cd's and make a certificate of ownership. Then you can put it on LIk-Sang and stuff. DO you think they would sell emulators? Or is that a no-no because of the pc nester license?
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Keyboard and mouse support (using the mouse as an emulated light gun).
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Dark Savant0 wrote:Small movie playback would be nice, something proprietary like the zsnes movie files, except for nester. Anyone know of a pc nes emulator with that?
A lot of emus in PC can do that, first that comes to mind is VirtuaNES.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

There are a few emulators of the NES that can support movies.

Famtasia, FCEU and VirtualNES come to mind. For FCEU you can find a hacked version here

Also, the format for the .FCM file is found here as well as various other formats here

If you want anything to do with making movies of consoles, that site is where to find it. They have a video faster than the 11min SMB3 movie.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I think having the video clip playing next to the game you've selected would make it looks very professional. To me it wouldn't matter if the video was tiny, like 100 pixels across or something. That way it'll save more room for videos.

mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Any of small video files, enough to complete the total space on a CD.
Er... the size of the complete NES ROM set (GoodNES 1.01) with all the 8822 ROMs compressed in individual ZIP files is 900 MB. If you delete the 2248 bad dumps, its size goes to 636 MB, which still is enough to fill a selfboot CD, because selfbooting takes away 20-30 MB of disc space.

By the way, will NesterDC SE support zipped ROMs? (btw I don't remember if I asked this before :oops:)
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

By the way, will NesterDC SE support zipped ROMs? (btw I don't remember if I asked this before Embarassed)
Yep.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Fragger wrote:
Any of small video files, enough to complete the total space on a CD.
Er... the size of the complete NES ROM set (GoodNES 1.01) with all the 8822 ROMs compressed in individual ZIP files is 900 MB. If you delete the 2248 bad dumps, its size goes to 636 MB, which still is enough to fill a selfboot CD, because selfbooting takes away 20-30 MB of disc space.

By the way, will NesterDC SE support zipped ROMs? (btw I don't remember if I asked this before :oops:)
Shhhhhhh!

Actually I thought of that after I posted. I still stand by my post though.

ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

is anybody that concerned about having every NES rom ever, though?

not only is there pretty much no way around that being extraordinarily illegal, i'm willing to bet at least half of those games are pretty bad.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

ethoscapade wrote:is anybody that concerned about having every NES rom ever, though?

not only is there pretty much no way around that being extraordinarily illegal, i'm willing to bet at least half of those games are pretty bad.
Point well taken. I doubt there is anyone on the board that has a cart of every NES game made (if they do, I'm jelous :o ). And some are pretty bad; I stuck mostly to the A titles, but I've read about a few. One had you trying to rescue baby Moses, so it was a religious title. They said it was pretty bad, but I busted from the seams with laughter with their suggestion of tossing baby Moses into the Nile and watch the spiders eat him before tossing the game in the trash.
ghostparty
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by ghostparty »

Maybe you could make the left trigger on the dc a quick ram load and the right trigger can be the quick ram save.
That way we don't have to go to a menu every time. :D
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

actually, being raised in a super christian household, i had that baby moses game :D

and i don't much like that idea about the quick save/load, personally.. the DC triggers are very prone to being inadvertently squeezed, and then you'd have the kids suddenly jumping back five levels for reasons they can't understand.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

Maybe you could make the left trigger on the dc a quick ram load and the right trigger can be the quick ram save.
That way we don't have to go to a menu every time.
Yeah, but what happens when you accediently hit quick load when you quick saved about 10 minutes ago. That would suck.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

jtnewman wrote:
ethoscapade wrote:is anybody that concerned about having every NES rom ever, though?

Point well taken. I doubt there is anyone on the board that has a cart of every NES game made (if they do, I'm jelous :o ). And some are pretty bad; I stuck mostly to the A titles, but I've read about a few. One had you trying to rescue baby Moses, so it was a religious title. They said it was pretty bad, but I busted from the seams with laughter with their suggestion of tossing baby Moses into the Nile and watch the spiders eat him before tossing the game in the trash.
i know soemone that has every nes cart ever, he also has one of the gold carts for the nintendo cup he paid a few grand for , he f'n crazy. he was also the first person to dump that rom online, he also made several other rom dumps. he has many pirate carts too.
and various famicon and nes usa systems.

like i said this dude crazy, he almost complete an snes collection, and has a complete n64 one. so far he doesnt plan on fooling with a gameboy collection because too many gameboy/gbc/gba games to keep tack off

all of his games have box and instreuctions, many are new. he also have unboxed ones that arent new just for gameplay.

he even has a huge crap load of atari 2600 and 7800 games.

hasa decent amoumt of cube.

this guy is the ultimate nintendo freak.

oh by the way he has no girlfriend. duh(serious) this dude would spend entire paychecks on games. the most he paid for a single game was $5,000

i couldnt be so hardcore, me love the ladies, and um life
cagmere
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cagmere »

4 player and light gun support.
lackofsense
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: dobson just north of your carolines and your other sisters

Post by lackofsense »

me i have no requests other than a list of scherzo's planned features
while this is all awesome, i think your asking a bit much
but that's just my opinion
sense-lacking is a tough job but somebody's got to do it
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

gamedudex2 wrote:i know soemone that has every nes cart ever, he also has one of the gold carts for the nintendo cup he paid a few grand for , he f'n crazy. he was also the first person to dump that rom online, he also made several other rom dumps. he has many pirate carts too.
and various famicon and nes usa systems.

like i said this dude crazy, he almost complete an snes collection, and has a complete n64 one. so far he doesnt plan on fooling with a gameboy collection because too many gameboy/gbc/gba games to keep tack off

all of his games have box and instreuctions, many are new. he also have unboxed ones that arent new just for gameplay.

he even has a huge crap load of atari 2600 and 7800 games.

hasa decent amoumt of cube.

this guy is the ultimate nintendo freak.

oh by the way he has no girlfriend. duh(serious) this dude would spend entire paychecks on games. the most he paid for a single game was $5,000
Hm... Does his friends call him Mario, because they (this guy and Mario) are both italians and they're both plumbers? :P

Anyway, it would be interesting if someone with a huge collection like this could help scherzo by providing some scans of the boxes (all sides), cart labels, and manuals/docs.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube