i got an A

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
mattcky666
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

i got an A

Post by mattcky666 »

found out my A-Level result for further maths, and i averaged an 85 (78 and 92, an A is 80)

im retaking the first one though to get a better mark
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Woah dude
arcticfeather
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by arcticfeather »

Well done, I only got a D in further maths. I had to sit all 6 modules in one go though, so there was no chance for re-sit

Lucky I scraped my grades for uni none-the-less.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Good job, nerd! :P

I hated math in High School. In fact, I did better in French and most other subjects.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

What exactly is further maths? Is it just more complicated linear algebra or is it calc? You'd think they would name your course based on what it's teaching.
area
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by area »

Butters wrote:What exactly is further maths? Is it just more complicated linear algebra or is it calc? You'd think they would name your course based on what it's teaching.
You take twelve modules instead of six. So, for normal maths you might take Pure Maths 1-3, Mechanics 1-2, and Statistics 1. For further maths, you might take Pure Maths 1-6, Mechanics 1-4, Statistics 1 and Decision Maths 1.

Calculus is in from Pure Maths 1 (simple differentiation), and just becomes a larger and larger part (chain rule, quotient rule up to Pure Maths 3 - beyond I haven't done, so I don't know). It even creeps into Mechanics 2 when looking at position/velocity/acceleration of a particle.

On a side note, thanks to my two January Modules, I need 17/100 in Mechanics 2 to get an A :)
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

See when we take a math course, it will focus only on a single kind of math. You take algebra, you get algebra. You take calc, you get a semester of calc. I know people in some engineering disciplines take through calculus 3.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

I think its the same as AS/A level maths, but more units and everything is covered very quickly
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

I do pretty well in math and forgine languages.
On this act test (I think it was) I scaored a 27 over all out of 32. My math was like a 15 outa 16. I hate math but seem to be good at it so wtf. But nice goin m8.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

mattthemodder wrote:I think its the same as AS/A level maths, but more units and everything is covered very quickly
You don't seem to understand. In the US classes apparently aren't designed the same way as the rest of the world. I have no clue what A level maths would be.
From what I've gathered from this topic as far as math the rest of the world take courses that cover a wde range of topics. In the US we take courses that specifically deal with a certain area of math. For example a business student takes a linear algebra course, a calculus course, and a statistics course. I'm guessing in the UK or Australia these would get lumped together in a couple of courses.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

My school used to do this, but did away with it a few years ago. In one semseter you took, algebra, stats, pre-calc, and concepts of calc.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

That sounds a lot like mathmethods. Except its a two year course. :(
mattcky666
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mattcky666 »

Butters wrote:
mattthemodder wrote:I think its the same as AS/A level maths, but more units and everything is covered very quickly
You don't seem to understand. In the US classes apparently aren't designed the same way as the rest of the world. I have no clue what A level maths would be.
From what I've gathered from this topic as far as math the rest of the world take courses that cover a wde range of topics. In the US we take courses that specifically deal with a certain area of math. For example a business student takes a linear algebra course, a calculus course, and a statistics course. I'm guessing in the UK or Australia these would get lumped together in a couple of courses.
yea basically it is a clumped together form of maths but each exam is focused on one point

for example i got a 92/100 on C2 (Pure), which looks at maths using things like differentation etc...basically various graphs and methods of finding things on it, etc. The rest of the Pure courses builds on this knowledge for different things.
As far as the other modules we do, theres
mechanics - basically the maths behind real world physics like gravity and friction
statistics
and decision - which is stuff like algorithms, networks etc.
and we have a choice of what to do within those three types

if this were regular maths this would take 2 years but in F.Maths its done in 1
the second year is has Further Pure 1-3 and more of those applications
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

You must be studying something very math intensive; I'd go crazy with all that math.
area
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by area »

mattcky666 wrote:for example i got a 92/100 on C2
Ew - C modules? Shame on you :)

(For those who have no idea, this year P1-P3 got replaced with C1-C4 - exactly the same maths, but four exams instead of three, and so makes up two thirds of your A level instead of half. And they say exams aren't getting easier :roll: )
mattcky666
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mattcky666 »

area wrote:
mattcky666 wrote:for example i got a 92/100 on C2
Ew - C modules? Shame on you :)

(For those who have no idea, this year P1-P3 got replaced with C1-C4 - exactly the same maths, but four exams instead of three, and so makes up two thirds of your A level instead of half. And they say exams aren't getting easier :roll: )
yea i remember thats why they got rid of M6 because you couldn't do all the modules

if u think my results were good, someone in my class got a 95 and a 99
area
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by area »

I got 100 on Pure 1 last year and 97 on Mechanics 1 this year (which I admit are easier modules). I know a couple of people that got 100 on Pure 3 this year though that aren't even doing further maths.