NesterDC SE Release Delayed (beware p.8 for 56k'ers)

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Christuserloeser
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

Post by Christuserloeser »

Umm, is that SMW that same one that is reviewed on the GTA :Nes site?
Yes.
Insane homebrew collector.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I plan to have the ability to fliter any of the categories that are covered in the GoodNES naming scheme. For instance, GoodNES names contain suffixes like:

= U.S.
[J] = Jap
[H] = hack
[E] = Europe
[T-Language] = Translations

You, the user, won't have worry about it since it'll determine names based on the ROM's crc32. So it should be another thing that just works.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

cool
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

ROM requests are not permitted here. - 138

I was wondering whether goodnes would be implemented. I guess that means the same for any other emus you make, sherzo.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

wheres th rviews fo the requested game. i don't care about the rom, just was interested in the review for it.
nomis
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by nomis »

i dunno anything about that GTA :Nes site or that SNW for nes. I talked about something else. Sorry.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

scherzo, just don't forget to make the menus operable with only X, A, Y, R, and start for the NES case mod.

(R would be mapped to the actual reset switch on the NES, and while L+R is doable, and is the way it's shown in the mod tutorial, making it configurable to just R would save a lot of effort. X -> B, A -> A, Y -> select, start -> start)

thanks and keep up the great work.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

OK, well, I can definitely add the option to bind reset to a button. That's easy enough. However, when it comes to the menus, in order to get to the menus while playing a game, you need to use the analog stick left+start. Right now that isn't configurable but I'll see what I can do.

Do you have a link for the NES case mod so I can check out more about it?
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

Will that be the only way to access the menus? Would it possible to use either the C or Z? For us that play with a pad with no analogue stick it's an hassle to switch pads in order to change games (like it is in SuperFamicast [for me at least]). :wink:
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/nesmod.shtml

essentially, you lose the analog, the B button, and preferably one of the triggers, although it can be fandangled so that you keep both.

B+A+select+start (DC Y+X+A+start) might be the best option to access the menus with an NES controller. if you can't make that configurable, don't worry about it, as one-trigger reset is convenient enough.

i know that button combination got to be used a lot on the gameboy (link's awakening comes to mind.. always resets on my flashcart if i try to save without killing myself, grr), but i think it's more or less virgin on the NES.

worst case scenario, you can work all the options you'd ever need with a DC controller hooked up to it, and then cram a VMU in there so you don't have to worry about it again.

EDIT: i should've specified - the way it is in the NES mod, the NES reset switch doesn't reset the game. it returns to the menu to pick a new game.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I dont think I can purchase that rom, Drinkast,, as it is an hk pirate game. There is no USA pirate game equivalent to it, and anyways If I was to purchase it, Nintendo of Somewhere would get mad. BUt then a rom download of it is bad too.

Search for "Grantheftendo", that should get you some bipro.com site, and there is a review about it.

It might be easier to make two versions, scherzo. Just map the buttons differently on the case mod version. I dunno though, there might be incompatabilities when updateing or fixing it. JUst a suggestion.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

scherzo, I am going to assume you have Light Gun support for your SE? I'm willing to relive my SMB/Duck Hunt moments. By the power of you, it shall be done. :)
He's working on implementing it. There's not really a working library for the light gun controller, although that's being worked on also.
CaptTrips
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by CaptTrips »

Out of Curiousity: Any efforts been put towards implementings ex graphics? Getting those Mapper 5 games working would be great. Hint, hint. Then again, I don't think the DC has the power to emulate ex graphics, on top of everything else :(

Edit, Note: Odd, Even the NES is too powerful for the DC to flawlessly
emulate. Ahh, nothing beats an origanol.
Hilltopper
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hilltopper »

I think that the DC can more than handle the NES ,including any mappers that the NES has. The DC is powerful enough, it is just a matter of getting the mappers to function properly which has always been a problem with emulating the NES, on the DC or PC.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

CaptTrips, from what I gather, he is working on it and will be for a LOOOONG time.
SchmuckofNI
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by SchmuckofNI »

If a 486/33 can emulate a nes then a dreamcast can easily. Heck look at how well it handles the Sega Master system..
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

please let scherzo finish this emu ! :D
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

HE wont be finished for months, but its worth it.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I am willing to bet it wont be finished for at least two months, if its going to be perfect...
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Dark Savant0 wrote:I am willing to bet it wont be finished for at least two months, if its going to be perfect...
You're bet is probably right. I could actually finish it much sooner than that if I had the time. Whenever I get long spans of free time, I get a lot done. Some of the hardest stuff in regards to the emulator itself is out of the way. I just have holes to fill. And then there's the CD builder project. But I know how I'm going to go with that.