Possible power suppy problem

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
tks
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Possible power suppy problem

Post by tks »

Hi im new to this forum and i hope im not asknig an old question, but my DC wont power up. I opened it up and plugged it in and noticed that the light will flicker and the fan will start for a sec then completely stop no power what so ever...

Im wondering if there is anything that i can do or is it more then likely that i have to order a new PSU?

thanks so much

tks
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Try using the "search" button. If you can't find anything try checking to make sure the fan isn't messed up because the Dreamcast will power itself off if the fan isn't working properly/connected. You can buy new power supplies from Lik-Sang if it really is a problem with the PSU.

BTW, Welcome to the forums :D
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

Welcome to the fourms.

Yea, I know exactly what you're talking about. One of my dreamcasts was doing the exact same thing. It's not the power supply. After swiching out every component in the thing, I concluded that the only thing it could be is the motherboard. Sorry, but it's pretty much a goner.
Last edited by hearld500 on Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

:cry: You can get a used DC form http://www.ebgames.com or a local store might have one. Lik-sang.com is selling some (Boxed and everything) for $75 (they are basically new, only been taken out to be tested, or so I'm led to belive). EB has them for $20 with controllers and cables.
tks
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by tks »

Wow that was fast reply! Thanks :)

hearld500: That reallys sucks if its the motherboard but on the other hand i have really gotten what i put into it.. I mean i picked up a dreamcast off of a friend for 25 bucks used so i really cant complain... :)

Well ill star searching through ebgames and such..

tks
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

Ya I've had that happen as a result of attempting some projects. Its the motherboard.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

tks wrote:Wow that was fast reply! Thanks :)

hearld500: That reallys sucks if its the motherboard but on the other hand i have really gotten what i put into it.. I mean i picked up a dreamcast off of a friend for 25 bucks used so i really cant complain... :)

Well ill star searching through ebgames and such..

tks
Wait! I have two spare dc motherboards, if you are interested in fixing this. I will sell them cheaply....
tks
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by tks »

Really? Cool.. but two questions...

1. Are the easy to install?

and

2. How much? :)

tks
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

They arn't hard to install, just gotta be somewhat careful.
May want to take apart your dc and see if the one he has is the same setup as yours.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

They are both v.1. I will have to double check to make sure they still work if still interested.

I also have about five psus from differenct dcs, one of which I pulled from an japanese dc.