BT Broadband/BT Yahoo! Broadband users get free 2MB upgrade!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
mikelomax
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Location: Off Topic, Since I know very little about the dreamcast
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mikelomax »

az_bont wrote:What happens if you go over? Does it charge you more, or drop your speed?
they employ a "3-strike" system that if you go over the cap three months in a row it drops down to 128k for that month. But if you don't go over the limit three times in a row then you're fine... At least that's what i think is explained on the website.
The reason for having: A firewall

Independance day, the aliens were destroyed because a computer was used to access their network and disable key systems. If they had had a firewall, the earth would be just another worthless rock floating in space.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

mikelomax wrote:they employ a "3-strike" system that if you go over the cap three months in a row it drops down to 128k for that month. But if you don't go over the limit three times in a row then you're fine... At least that's what i think is explained on the website.
Seems a bit harsh :cry:.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

http://www.plus.net/features/usage_guide.shtml <- Explains the 3 usage level system.

Seems pretty fair to me.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Well, the internet just went a little bit funny and disconnected for a minute, and on re-connecting I see that I am now on a 2.2Mbit line :D.

No letter from BT, and no news on how they're supposed to e-mail me to say I've almost used up the allocatted bandwidth as the old accounts never came with an e-mail account :?.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
CyberMick
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by CyberMick »

Im with Pipex and they recently e-mailed me saying they will be upgrading my ADSL to 1Meg. I have uncapped ADSL at the moment and they did not mention capping the 1Meg but if they do that kinda sucks as im my eyes it defeats having an unmetred continiously online connection.

Maybe BT are fed up with P2P software and maybe that is killing their bandwidths up on their ADSL lines so they are capping everyone.

I still feel that it is wrong as they lure you into the ADSL unmetred promise and all the rest of it and then a couple of years down the line when most people are on it you are capped with no choice in the matter.
Regards.

CyberMick.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

NTL say I need a new digi box thing, I get upgraded to 1mb until that comes though
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

What if you want more than the max package?
mikelomax
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikelomax »

EvilN wrote:What if you want more than the max package?
You probably have to pay more. A lot more...

Independance day, the aliens were destroyed because a computer was used to access their network and disable key systems. If they had had a firewall, the earth would be just another worthless rock floating in space.
area
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by area »

ntl users can upgrade today. Go to http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/edit ... Migration/ and hope you're in the areas that support upgrading online. I was, and it was a marvellously simple process.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

area wrote:ntl users can upgrade today. Go to http://www.ntlworld.com/data-feeds/edit ... Migration/ and hope you're in the areas that support upgrading online. I was, and it was a marvellously simple process.
:D

Thanks for the link

EDIT: I can happily live with a Gb a day cap :dontknow:

EDIT2: Getting 200kps dl speed on republic commando demo.... nice :pimp:
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

CyberMick wrote:Im with Pipex and they recently e-mailed me saying they will be upgrading my ADSL to 1Meg. I have uncapped ADSL at the moment and they did not mention capping the 1Meg but if they do that kinda sucks as im my eyes it defeats having an unmetred continiously online connection.

Maybe BT are fed up with P2P software and maybe that is killing their bandwidths up on their ADSL lines so they are capping everyone.

I still feel that it is wrong as they lure you into the ADSL unmetred promise and all the rest of it and then a couple of years down the line when most people are on it you are capped with no choice in the matter.
As the site still says the only capped ones are the lite packages those of us not on them should be fine, it should stay that way with luck
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
CyberMick
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by CyberMick »

I hope you are right Hawq I would hate to have a cap. like you said Pipex have Lite versions with capping and I don't have that package so hopefully they will leave it as it is.

Does capping affect online gaming?
Regards.

CyberMick.
mikelomax
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikelomax »

CyberMick wrote:Does capping affect online gaming?
Yes, but only the information that you download counts.

CyberMick
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by CyberMick »

mikelomax wrote:
CyberMick wrote:Does capping affect online gaming?
Yes, but only the information that you download counts.
Thanks for the info mikelomax. :)
Regards.

CyberMick.
mattcky666
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mattcky666 »

yea bt should have upgraded mine recently but somethings wrong with my connection (probably the bt line), should be fixed within the week though
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

I'd expect most of the country to not get the full advantage of the speeds increases due to the crappy bt network, hopefully upgrdaes will be done to that as well but probably not for ages
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers