Half life problem

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Half life problem

Post by hearld500 »

My buddy just got half life 2 the other day and it was working great for a time. I'm not sure what level it is, but when the level stats loading, it goes for a few seconds and then the entire computer restatrts like you hit the reset button. Any ideas what this is about and how to fix it?
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

has he tried re-installing it?
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

It's not his pc overheating or anything and being auto shutdown?

What kinda PC specs you talking here?
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

Well, basically its just above minimum specs, but it runs great without chugging down at all. Its weird because hes a way into the game and it only does it on this level. I can't imagine it being a hardware rest because it only loads for a few seconds then goes, not during gameplay.
Skullreaper2000
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Skullreaper2000 »

I had a problem with Half Life 2 at one point in the game where it would always exit the game. The problem was fixed by updating My sound and graphics drivers as well as updating Direct X to the newest version. Haven't had a problem since.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

This was happening to me (game was crashing to desktop without error messages) when I first got HL2 in the level right after you

(spoiler?)
jump your boat over that huge wall by ramp

but I ran the steam validation link, which fixed it (plus some issues I had with corrupted textures) so it could just be a corrupted download / install.

Search on the steam homepage for the validation link, it should confirm / fix your install isnt corrupted.

Rebooting computers usually means something more serious though - you might want to use SISsoft SANDRA or something to check its not running too hot which is what it sounds like