DC DIVX Vs. GypPlay ROUND 1 FIGHT!!!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

DC Divx Vs. GypPlay Which is better?

Total votes: 0
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by someoneElse »

clessoulis wrote:O and about the 800MB cd why not buy one of those sony double density burners? It supposedly doubles the size of whatever the cd is. Exmaple 700MB becomes 1.4GB and so on. I still dont know where to buy them in america though. ANyone know?
Wouldn't that require double density media? And a drive capable of reading them?
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
hosdaboss
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Hmm

Post by hosdaboss »

Double density sounds to good to be true, I don't think the dc could read it anyways..
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

Sony said regular cd drives read the cd's. And If a DC can read reguler cd then i guess it could read them. It sounds like a rip off of GD ROMS to me.
Wagh (Original)
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wagh (Original) »

I don't even get divxes and when I get a vcd if I wanna watch it on tv I usually extract the mpeg and do a self booter with dir2boot. Gypplay forever!
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

fatheadpi wrote: If you like a reliable player that's easy to work with, doesn't give you any shizznit, has a great control scheme, amazing sound, and you don't mind either slightly choppy playback (2 pass vbr) or slightly blocky playback (cbr), and you like a movie that stops halfway through so you can go take a piss, make a sammich, etc, use Gypplay.
Good points.

If you don't mind having no controls outside of stop, pause, and a barely functional fast foward..
I assume that Dc-DivX will have more controlls in future versions.
are smart enough to learn to make divx movies..
Hmm, you mean smart enough to read my DcDivX4Dummies guide? :lol:
don't mind crappy mono or crappy stereo sound
You can use 300kbits 44hz audio if you use a *very low video bitrate :wink:
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

God I hope DC Divx gets better comptrolls in the very near future, the playback is fine for now, details need to be focused on (q - pel, gmc, REAL AUDIO QUALITY, AND SOME GODDAMN COMPTROLLS!!!!)

Making divx movies gets harder when you're decoding from mpeg 2 media, either tv show captures or dvd rips. You have to frameserve, convert, decompress or decode the audio, then get everything just right in dc divx settings and vdub. I know it's easy to me and you, but for newbs, its easier for mpeg, just get tmpgenc and have someone send them the settings, they load up their movie and bam there's their mpeg-1 movie for a dvcd.
I'd love a 1400 meg cd, it would result in a cd with:

Mall Rats, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Clerks The Animated Series, and Dogma.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

fatheadpi wrote: Making divx movies gets harder when you're decoding from mpeg 2 media, either tv show captures or dvd rips. You have to frameserve, convert, decompress or decode the audio, then get everything just right in dc divx settings and vdub.
DVD :arrow: DCDivX avi is a doddle with Gordian Knot - you just put your DVD in your DVD drive and leave it running overnight... hey presto! Bobs your Aunties live in lover; you can also use Gordian Knot to skip the DeCSS bit if you already have a source file in MPEG2 format
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

TIP TO THE WISE

Post by clessoulis »

If you wanna have better fast forwarding break you video in to 15 minute videos. Then you can just skip to the next file which will be 15 minutes later.

Example
TrigunEpisode1 p1 of 6 = 5 minutes track one
TrigunEpisode1 p2 of 6 = 5 minutes track two
TrigunEpisode1 p3 of 6 = 5 minutes track three
TrigunEpisode1 p4 of 6 = 5 minutes track four
TrigunEpisode1 p5 of 6 = 5 minutes track five
TrigunEpisode1 p6 of 6 = 5 minutes track six

Then you can just jump to which ever video you want.

I dont like doing this because DC DIVX loads videos to slow
and loading every 5 minutes sucks.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Dammit Dr. W, speak english. AMERICAN ENGLISH. I use Smart Ripper for ripping, de - macrovisioning, and unlocking the vob files,framserve through dvd 2 avi 182 ogo and the vfapi reader. In dvd2avi, i decode dolby audio, demux pcm, and demux mpeg audio, and also cut the fps down to 24 with the forced film option. I convert mpeg audio to wav in tmpg, this is handy for my teevee vard captures. Then i run it through vdub, crop, resize, compress, and whamo! a divx movie.

Unfortunately,I ran into an error with this method on dcdivx. Whn i cut the file down to 24 fps, everything gets screwed up. Think i'll try vdub's inverse telecline routine.

I don't care for pottery barn or divx rip kits, they don't give me control over the movie.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

fatheadpi wrote: I don't care for pottery barn or divx rip kits, they don't give me control over the movie.
Oh, I think you should give Gordian Knot a try... you *will* be pleasantly surprised... its about as close to a foolproof way of calculating the bitrate / filesize trade off for DivX (admittedly not an issue for DCDivX.. but I personally *hate* the way macrovision makes my DVDs look when played back on PC and use it to rip anything I can get my hands on to lovely high res .AVIs :twisted: ) and includes a suite of programs that will do everything for you when ripping a DVD including adding subtitles if needed.

I cannot recommend Gordian Knot highly enough. Frankly Im amazed I managed without it for so long! :D
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Maybe I'll give it a try. Just started using divx 5.0.1 as a capture codec, and it works insano great. A stream captured at 500 kbps, 320 by 240 looks only a little worse than an mpeg 2 stream at 480 x 360. However, the mpeg stream has a bitrate of about 3.8 megs sec (3,800 kbps), so it think i'll be using divx from now on. Only thing is my ati capture software doesn't use it's mpeg layer 2 compression when capturing avi's, it just captures at cd quality pcm, real drag. Nice thing about divx is, i can surf, download and record, whereas with mpeg 2, if i so much as opened up notepad, everything slows down and it drops half the frames for about 5 seconds. Wish vdub had a scheduling routine, since my pc watches teevee for me, then shows it to me later.

If you'll excuse me i have to transfer a bunch of bowling footage for my cba class.

And play rocket racers beta 2.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

" Sounds like you didn't encode your video with the right settings. "

Well, no matter what you do it'll be lower quality in the conversion. Sad truth. Though filters can sometimes make crappy VHS better..

I have a question. What would look better, a 90 minute 700 meg divx at 640x480 converted to a VCD at 2500 CBR (my dvd player can handle that) or the same file at 700 kbps DCDivX?
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Hard to say. If you're going to drop the res down to 320 x 240, i'd go ahead and give that mpeg a try, I think with five times the bitrate it might look better Than a Divx.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

fatheadpi wrote:Hard to say. If you're going to drop the res down to 320 x 240, i'd go ahead and give that mpeg a try, I think with five times the bitrate it might look better Than a Divx.
I Agree. i'm a big anime fan so i enjoy watching my anime as crisp and clear as possible:) quality over quanty i think. i'd rather have an episode Be clear and have good sound than to have downsized video and downrated audio. even if it does take 2 cd's :P until DC DIVX can support a higher Resolution than just 320x240(480x480 max) thani'm gonna have to stick with GypPlay

-navi
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Re: .

Post by ZacMc »

Lartrak wrote:" I have a question. What would look better, a 90 minute 700 meg divx at 640x480 converted to a VCD at 2500 CBR (my dvd player can handle that) or the same file at 700 kbps DCDivX?
Of course a vcd at 2500kbits will be better quality than DivX at 700kbits (and 4x as big). I don't know why anyone would want to use a bitrate that high (with DivX as their source) you could get the same quality with a much lower bitrate...