Pope calls gay marriage evil

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by farrell2k »

OneThirty8 wrote: I've said this before, and I suppose I'll have to say it again: You and I see the world differently. That much is painfully obvious. Just because I refuse to accept your one-dimentional image of the world in which nothing should ever change does not make me ignorant, nor am I trying to change reality. All I am trying to change is your unwillingness to see another point of view. I am fully aware of how things are with regard to this issue, but I am also fully aware that we live in an ever-changing world. Things cannot stay the same forever.

Also, you completely ignored the next paragraph in my post. I said that whether or not marriage itself is a right or a privilege (which is something you and I will apparently never agree on), my main argument is sound because every human being does have an absolute right to equal treatment under the law. So, even if marriage is a privilege as you assert, the rights of same-sex couples are being infringed upon because they are being denied something (you call it a privilege, I say otherwise) that heterosexual couples are granted almost without question. Unless you can refute this point with something sound, I'm going to have to declare myself the winner of this argument. :D
You can declare yourself the winner of whatever you want, but that still won;t change the fact that you're incorrect. :wink:

The rights of same-sex copuples are not being infringed upon, because marriage is not a right in the first place. Your argument of their rights being violated is completely null and void because of this. This is something that the courts have upheld time and time again. Marriage has nothing to do with equality.
Last edited by farrell2k on Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I think he means that if 2 gay parents adopt a kid, they're gonna make the kid gay too! OH NOEZ! :roll:

Fetus, you're far from right. :roll:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

FETUS wrote:gay marriage is wrong,
Your opinion, which was not always the popular opinion. Going back thousands of years, it was considered perfectly OK. You know why the Old Testament says it's wrong to be gay? It was purely for the fact that the Hebrews were the minority and they wanted to increase their numbers. It was figured that saying 'God will shoot a lightning bolt up your ass for being gay' or some such nonsense like that, people would be too scared to act upon their natural impulses and likewise scared into pretending to be 'straight,' thereby popping out babies.
FETUS wrote:acting upon homosexual feelings is wrong.
You're wrong. Acting upon a genuine attraction to another member of your own species is entirely natural, and therefore is not 'wrong.' If you don't believe me, look at other species of animals. Homosexuality is not unique to human beings.
Archie Bunker wrote:Everybody has the same rights in this country, to marry anyone suitable of the oposite sex.
*yawn* I'm sorry, but that argument is so tired that it was even making me sleepy. :roll: How is it equal when a heterosexual dude can marry the person he loves and is genuinely attracted to, and a gay dude has to either 'fake it' with some woman he doesn't love 'more than like a friend,' thereby hurting not only himself but also the woman and any children that might result from such a uinion who will certainly have a hard time coming to grips with the fact that Daddy is gay, or just remain 'unhitched,' and lose out on things like being able to inherit your partner's house and actually keep it or visit the person you love when they're in the hospital. What a choice.
FETUS wrote:Homosexuality is either a choice or a mental disease depending on the case,
Uh, nobody chooses to be gay. Think about it logically for a second - in a country full of people like you who are probably so insecure themselves that they have to peg anybody different from themselves as 'bad,' 'wierd,' or 'something with cooties,' why the hell would anybody decide to be gay? It makes absolutely no sense. As for you assertion that it's a mental disease, a mental illness has a direct negative impact on the quality of life of the individual suffering from it. Gay people, when allowed to live fairly routine lives, do just that - live fairly normal lives, as much as any of us has a 'normal' life. They just have a different method of sharing intimate moments with their chosen partner.
FETUS wrote:and shouldn't be treated any different.
Absolutely. Gay people and straight people shouldn't be treated any different from each other.
FETUS wrote:You can either share my opinion and be right, or you can keep yours.
You have that wrong. You, FETUS, can either keep your opinion and remain the bigot that I believe you to be, or you can accept the truth - there is nothing wrong with gay people.
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

He said that the gay "species" could survive by adopting kids. If the kids were already gay before adoption, why would they need to be adopted to ensure the survival of the "species"? :roll:
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

Pyrosurfer wrote:He said that the gay "species" could survive by adopting kids. If the kids were already gay before adoption, why would they need to be adopted to ensure the survival of the "species"? :roll:
I'll second that :roll:

Please, please don't tell me that that's actually what you thought I said.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

farrell2k wrote: The rights of same-sex copuples are not being infringed upon, because marriage is not a right in the first place. Your argument of their rights being violated is completely null and void because of this. This is something that the courts have upheld time and time again. Marriage has nothing to do with equality.
That bit I highlighted is the part that you're still hung up on. Remove that from the equation. Marriage does not have to be agreed upon as a 'right' for my argument to stand up. The fact is that every person in every society has the right to be treated the same. Gay people are not being treated the same here - it's not a matter of 'marriage being about equality.' If 'Civil Unions' were available in all 50 states, and they guarunteed the same legal protections that marriage does in all 50 states, you and I would not be debating this issue. The problem is that when a person decides to share their life with somebody, regardless of the gender or sexual orientation of the parties involved, they should be encouraged to enter into a meaningful union, and the state and federal government should recognize it. The simple thing is, gay or straight, people need each other. Very few human beings are truly happy alone. Also, most of us would be very unhappy if the person we'd lived with for 25 or 30 years wasn't allowed to visit us in the hospital, and ended up homeless after we died because the IRS came to collect inheritance tax on the house. Married people don't have these problems such as denial of hospital visitations or inheritance-tax screw-overs. Same-sex couples do. That is wrong.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Pyrosurfer wrote:He said that the gay "species" could survive by adopting kids. If the kids were already gay before adoption, why would they need to be adopted to ensure the survival of the "species"? :roll:
Or gay people could just have heterosexual sex to produce children. This isn't a major leap in logic.

But anyway, why does everyone think the future survival of the human race is so important?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Lartrak wrote:
Or gay people could just have heterosexual sex to produce children. This isn't a major leap in logic.
With the technology we have these days, like these new-fangled plasic cups and things, you don't even need to have sex to produce children. A gay dude could go to a clinic and get a few bucks for masturbating into a cup. Then, a lesbian woman can come in and ask to be inseminated with his sperm. There, two homosexual people of the opposite sex can contribute to the continuation of our species for another generation, yet never have sexual contact with one another.
Lartrak wrote: But anyway, why does everyone think the future survival of the human race is so important?
Probably because we're all members of the human race. I'd kinda like to have a long line of descendants for some reason.
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

Skater_dusto wrote:
TreyDay wrote:
greay wrote:
TreyDay wrote:Gay people choose to be gay.
No, no they don't.
Yes they do. And if they don't, then it's a chemical imbalance because it's anti-religion to be that way and anti-science. Religion says it's wrong and science says that it's counter-evolutionary to not reproduce. If you're gay, you can't reproduce. Therefore, whether you believe in a religion or science, it's wrong.
I'm not trying to rip you out of context, but what exactly are you trying to get at? In your defense you claim to have made simple statements - What are you getting at? Were you going anywhere with them or what? I'll try my best not to flame you, but you're like the bible...

On the subject of choosing ones sexual preference you can't assume that some person just sits down one day with an instruction manual and weighs out the pros and cons of being homosexual. And if you hold it against someone, not assuming you do but anyone in general, then that's just asinine.
Good thing you didn't flame me. People know my record. There would have been a lot of feelings caught. :wink:

But I was, indeed, just spittin facts to those that may not know them. Religion says being gay is wrong. So, if you believe in a religion, then you shouldn't be for gay marriage. And science says that not being able to reproduce is counter-evolutionary. So, if you believe in evolution, being gay is wrong. I got my biology book where it explains how it's counter-evolutionary, but it's in my car and I ain't going to get it. Maybe later. Basically, it says that your specie is here to survive. No higher meaning life at all.
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

TreyDay wrote:But I was, indeed, just spittin facts to those that may not know them.
Not facts. I'll grant you half-truths, but that's as far as I'll go.
TreyDay wrote: Religion says being gay is wrong. So, if you believe in a religion, then you shouldn't be for gay marriage.
Some religions. Not all. And not even all people of those religions agree.
TreyDay wrote: And science says that not being able to reproduce is counter-evolutionary. So, if you believe in evolution, being gay is wrong. I got my biology book where it explains how it's counter-evolutionary, but it's in my car and I ain't going to get it. Maybe later. Basically, it says that your specie is here to survive. No higher meaning life at all.
No.
I wrote: As I said before, evolution merely describes what happens to species over time -- there's no such thing as "counter-evolutionary".

Some worker ants can lay eggs, this is true. In most colonies, however, the queen gives off pheremones that renders all of them infertile.

Thus, most worker ants will never produce offspring. Ants have evolved in such a way where the vast majority of ants in a colony will not produce offpspring -- this would not have happened if this was "counter-evolutionary".
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

OneThirty8 wrote:
farrell2k wrote: The rights of same-sex copuples are not being infringed upon, because marriage is not a right in the first place. Your argument of their rights being violated is completely null and void because of this. This is something that the courts have upheld time and time again. Marriage has nothing to do with equality.
OneThirty8 wrote: That bit I highlighted is the part that you're still hung up on. Remove that from the equation. Marriage does not have to be agreed upon as a 'right' for my argument to stand up.
Yes it does. Equal protection under the law only appies to our protected rights. Your argument is flawed. You cannot demand equal protection for something to which you have no right in the first place.
OneThirty8 wrote: The problem is that when a person decides to share their life with somebody, regardless of the gender or sexual orientation of the parties involved, they should be encouraged to enter into a meaningful union, and the state and federal government should recognize it.
The fed recognizes civil unions, and so do most states. You can never demand that one state look at something the same way another state does. This is even the case for hetero marriages. Some states do not recognize other state's marriages. e.g. 18 is the legal age to marry where tammy lives, FL, but in the neighboring state of hickville, it's only 15. Tammy is only 15 and wantas to get married, so she and her fiancee marry in hickville, then move back to FL. FL does not have to recognize her marriage as being legal.
OneThirty8 wrote: The simple thing is, gay or straight, people need each other. Very few human beings are truly happy alone.
Yeah, that's great, but you dont have to be married to not be alone. Not a good argument.
OneThirty8 wrote: Also, most of us would be very unhappy if the person we'd lived with for 25 or 30 years wasn't allowed to visit us in the hospital, and ended up homeless after we died because the IRS came to collect inheritance tax on the house. Married people don't have these problems such as denial of hospital visitations or inheritance-tax screw-overs. Same-sex couples do. That is wrong.
You don't have to be family to inherit something from someone, and as far as I know, inheritance tax is the same for family and non-family.

Hospitals? Hospitals are private companies who don't have to allow visitors at all. This has nothing to do with any state or local govts. Not a valid argument.

There is no need to redefine marriage to satisfy the silly desires of the gay minority. Let them focus their time and resources on something constructive, such as civil unions. I think we can both agree that trying to make civil unions more "universal" would be a better use of their time.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

OneThirty8 wrote:
Your opinion, which was not always the popular opinion. Going back thousands of years, it was considered perfectly OK. You know why the Old Testament says it's wrong to be gay? It was purely for the fact that the Hebrews were the minority and they wanted to increase their numbers. It was figured that saying 'God will shoot a lightning bolt up your ass for being gay' or some such nonsense like that, people would be too scared to act upon their natural impulses and likewise scared into pretending to be 'straight,' thereby popping out babies.
If you want to get into the old testament we can. The reason for it saying homosexuality is wrong is because the culture of that time was heading in a lot of the ways ours is today, the fact of the matter was that it was close to being accepted then and the message had to go through that it couldn't
OneThirty8 wrote:
You're wrong. Acting upon a genuine attraction to another member of your own species is entirely natural, and therefore is not 'wrong.' If you don't believe me, look at other species of animals. Homosexuality is not unique to human beings.
but morality is. We have the ability to know right and wrong, animals have the ability to know what hurts them and what doesn't. It's a complete perversion of our own anatomy to accept homosexuality.
OneThirty8 wrote:
Archie Bunker wrote:Everybody has the same rights in this country, to marry anyone suitable of the oposite sex.
*yawn* I'm sorry, but that argument is so tired that it was even making me sleepy. :roll: How is it equal when a heterosexual dude can marry the person he loves and is genuinely attracted to, and a gay dude has to either 'fake it' with some woman he doesn't love 'more than like a friend,' thereby hurting not only himself but also the woman and any children that might result from such a uinion who will certainly have a hard time coming to grips with the fact that Daddy is gay, or just remain 'unhitched,' and lose out on things like being able to inherit your partner's house and actually keep it or visit the person you love when they're in the hospital. What a choice.
then I support his or her right not to get married. oh and roffle on the bunker.
OneThirty8 wrote:
FETUS wrote:Homosexuality is either a choice or a mental disease depending on the case,
Uh, nobody chooses to be gay. Think about it logically for a second - in a country full of people like you who are probably so insecure themselves that they have to peg anybody different from themselves as 'bad,' 'wierd,' or 'something with cooties,' why the hell would anybody decide to be gay? It makes absolutely no sense. As for you assertion that it's a mental disease, a mental illness has a direct negative impact on the quality of life of the individual suffering from it. Gay people, when allowed to live fairly routine lives, do just that - live fairly normal lives, as much as any of us has a 'normal' life. They just have a different method of sharing intimate moments with their chosen partner.[/quotte]
Look at any high school and tell me people dont "choose" to make themselves outcasts. Hell I was guilty of it myself. And as for mental illness decreasing quality of life, your right it doesn't. But you also can't let it control you. I have no right to claim my voices as dependants, as much as someone with mpd has the right to a second vote. Why treat this disease any different?
OneThirty8 wrote:
Absolutely. Gay people and straight people shouldn't be treated any different from each other.
good we agree, so anybody can choose to marry or not marry someone of the opposite sex.
Im so glad we got that taken care of :roll:
:roll:
FETUS wrote:You can either share my opinion and be right, or you can keep yours.
You have that wrong. You, FETUS, can either keep your opinion and remain the bigot that I believe you to be, or you can accept the truth - there is nothing wrong with gay people.
Cuz being a bigot is all about seeing people for what they are and wanting them to do good instead of what there disease tells them to do.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

FETUS's ideological forebears wrote:Everybody has the same rights in this country, to marry anyone suitable of the oposite sex and same race.
:twisted:
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
FETUS's ideological forebears wrote:Everybody has the same rights in this country, to marry anyone suitable of the oposite sex and same race.
:twisted:
Your excused, please head to the nearest sterilization center immediately.
Thank you for your cooperation
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

farrell2k wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote: That bit I highlighted is the part that you're still hung up on. Remove that from the equation. Marriage does not have to be agreed upon as a 'right' for my argument to stand up.
Yes it does. Equal protection under the law only appies to our protected rights. Your argument is flawed. You cannot demand equal protection for something to which you have no right in the first place.
You keep going with the 'it's only a right if it was explicitly written in the Constitution.' That's a non-comprehensive list, and it has been pointed out that the framers of that document said that this wasn't an exhaustive list of all rights that will be protected. I'm not asking you to agree with me. I'm asking you to look at my side of the argument rather than stubbornly insisting that I don't have a valid opinion. Just because one thing isn't explicitly stated as a right on some piece of paper somewhere doesn't change the fact that A Person's Rights Are Being Infringed Upon When They Are Part Of A Group That Is Denied A Privilege That Is Afforded Unconditionally To Every Other Group Of People. If you can't understand that, then it's because you're not trying to see this with any sort of open mind. Like I said, we don't have to agree, but you're not even debating effectively at this point. You've become a broken record. At least I'm trying to phrase my ideas differently when you miss the point the first time I state them, but it seems to me that you're not reading what I say very carefully, because I have made considerable effort to find the common ground on which we can have a meaningful discussion, and you keep refusing to meet me there. If you notice, I've given up the argument about whether marriage is a privilege or a right - not because I believe you were right, but because it's not the important piece, and we were going to get nowhere talking about that bit anyway. You, however, keep restating your assertion that marriage is not a right. Whatever, because that isn't relevant. You can demand equal treatment under the law even when the issue at hand isn't an absolute right - If we were to deny gay people the privilege of driving cars because of their sexual orientation, we'd be infringing on their rights. If you disagree with me there, I'm afraid that you not understand how equal rights work - we all have the right to equal treatment, not just the same 'rights.'
farrell2k wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote: The problem is that when a person decides to share their life with somebody, regardless of the gender or sexual orientation of the parties involved, they should be encouraged to enter into a meaningful union, and the state and federal government should recognize it.
The fed recognizes civil unions, and so do most states. You can never demand that one state look at something the same way another state does. This is even the case for hetero marriages. Some states do not recognize other state's marriages. e.g. 18 is the legal age to marry where tammy lives, FL, but in the neighboring state of hickville, it's only 15. Tammy is only 15 and wantas to get married, so she and her fiancee marry in hickville, then move back to FL. FL does not have to recognize her marriage as being legal.
BUT IT IS NOT THE EQUIVALENT OF MARRIAGE!!! That's the entire problem in a nutshell. Jesus H. Christ, why do you keep bringing up the fact that they can get something that isn't the same thing?
farrell2k wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote: The simple thing is, gay or straight, people need each other. Very few human beings are truly happy alone.
Yeah, that's great, but you dont have to be married to not be alone. Not a good argument.
Right, but they're not offered the same encouragement as heterosexual couples are to be together - ie, marriage. See below for why this, or something legally equivalent, is needed.
farrell2k wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote: Also, most of us would be very unhappy if the person we'd lived with for 25 or 30 years wasn't allowed to visit us in the hospital, and ended up homeless after we died because the IRS came to collect inheritance tax on the house. Married people don't have these problems such as denial of hospital visitations or inheritance-tax screw-overs. Same-sex couples do. That is wrong.
You don't have to be family to inherit something from someone, and as far as I know, inheritance tax is the same for family and non-family.
You are correct in that you can leave something to anybody you want to in your will. That itself is not the issue. If you're married, and you own a house, and you die and leave the house to your wife, the house is hers as well because of community property laws and all of that, so she doesn't get hit with inheritance tax on the house. I think there are some other laws that come into play, but basically your spouse isn't going to find himself/herself out on the street. I actually heard a story of a lesbian couple who lived together for many years, and one of them owned the house they lived in. She died, and left the house to her lover, who was hit with a property tax bill so high that she lost the house. Pretty raw deal, isn't it?
farrell2k wrote:Hospitals? Hospitals are private companies who don't have to allow visitors at all. This has nothing to do with any state or local govts. Not a valid argument.
Yes, it is a valid argument. There are times when the hospital will allow family, but not friends, to see a patient. If you've got the legal status to show that you're family, they are going to have a much harder time keeping you away.
farrell2k wrote: There is no need to redefine marriage to satisfy the silly desires of the gay minority.
These are not 'silly' desires. They're real, genuine, and reasonable requests - they simply want all of the legal entitlements that married couples have. They don't have it yet.
farrell2k wrote:Let them focus their time and resources on something constructive, such as civil unions. I think we can both agree that trying to make civil unions more "universal" would be a better use of their time.
If by 'universal' you mean relegating the whole deal of 'marriage' to religious institutions and allowing everybody a 'civil union,' I think that's actually the way to go. We wouldn't have to worry about people bitching about the 'sanctity of marriage' and all that, because the government really shouldn't be in the business of sanctifying anything. They should be protecting our rights, freedoms, and property, and giving us socialized medicine. The gay people I know personally are fine with civil unions as long as they get the legal entitlements that married couples get - and they're fine with calling it something other than marriage. It's the fact that in many places in this country, people are still afraid that gay people are going to give them cooties so they refuse to even acknowledge their presence, and therefore they have the problems I stated above when it comes to inheritance and stuff.
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

FETUS wrote:We have the ability to know right and wrong, animals have the ability to know what hurts them and what doesn't. It's a complete perversion of our own anatomy to accept homosexuality.
How do you decide what's natural and what's not? Humans do a lot of things that some would consider "unnatural", but most people won't consider wrong. As for "perversion of our own anatomy"? So's tattoos, piercings, cutting your hair, wearing makeup... Hell, wearing clothes is "unnatural", too. Oh, and so is medicine, and cooked food.
FETUS wrote: If you want to get into the old testament we can. The reason for it saying homosexuality is wrong is because the culture of that time was heading in a lot of the ways ours is today, the fact of the matter was that it was close to being accepted then and the message had to go through that it couldn't
If you want to get into the old testament, we can. The passage in question is most likely Leviticus 18:22.
The Word of God wrote:V?et zachar lo tishkav mishk?vey eeshah toeyvah hee.

""And with a male you shall not lay lyings of a woman"
It's generally taken to mean "You shall not lay with a man as with a woman", or more loosely, "don't have sex with guys".

Another perfectly reasonable translation would be "And with a male you shal not lay in the lyings of a woman", or "don't have sex with a man in a woman's bed." (when you consider that Leviticus also says you can't make cloth out of two fabrics, this isn't as weird as it seems at first)

Going back to the first, more common translation -- why does it specify the "lyings of a woman"? Why not simply "You shall not lay with a man"? If you really believe this is the word of God, he had to add those other words for a reason. A gay man isn't going to lay with another man in the same way as he would with a woman. Most likely, he's not going to be laying with any women at all.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

FETUS wrote:Your excused, please head to the nearest sterilization center immediately.
Thank you for your cooperation
Looks like I hit a nerve. )()(
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

FETUS wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote:
If you want to get into the old testament we can. The reason for it saying homosexuality is wrong is because the culture of that time was heading in a lot of the ways ours is today, the fact of the matter was that it was close to being accepted then and the message had to go through that it couldn't
Really? So, you're making the assertion that because in the Middle East 2500-3000 years ago or more, people were accepting of their inner feelings, and somebody else thought it was kinda icky so they wrote it down in a book that they were carrying around, that somehow has any relevance to modern society? I mean, in some of the great civilizations of Europe, homosexuality was widely accepted. Alexander the Great is believed to have been a homosexual, and he conquered a whole lot of places.
FETUS wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote:
but morality is. We have the ability to know right and wrong, animals have the ability to know what hurts them and what doesn't. It's a complete perversion of our own anatomy to accept homosexuality.
Human beings can't even agree on what's moral and what's not, so that argument is a bit shaky. Furthermore, 'morality' typically only means anything when there is some sort of harm to a third party involved, and here there isn't. So, again, your argument is shaky at best.
FETUS wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote:
then I support his or her right not to get married. oh and roffle on the bunker.
Uh, you don't get it. We should encourage people to do what is right for themselves. For gay people, that means being with a gay partner. Our culture tends to alienate them.
FETUS wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote:
Uh, nobody chooses to be gay. Think about it logically for a second - in a country full of people like you who are probably so insecure themselves that they have to peg anybody different from themselves as 'bad,' 'wierd,' or 'something with cooties,' why the hell would anybody decide to be gay? It makes absolutely no sense. As for you assertion that it's a mental disease, a mental illness has a direct negative impact on the quality of life of the individual suffering from it. Gay people, when allowed to live fairly routine lives, do just that - live fairly normal lives, as much as any of us has a 'normal' life. They just have a different method of sharing intimate moments with their chosen partner.
Look at any high school and tell me people dont "choose" to make themselves outcasts. Hell I was guilty of it myself. And as for mental illness decreasing quality of life, your right it doesn't. But you also can't let it control you. I have no right to claim my voices as dependants, as much as someone with mpd has the right to a second vote. Why treat this disease any different?
You're comparing real life to high school bullshit? Man, you're really stretching here. Sure, many people go the extra mile to beg for attention in high school. They might think they're trying to make themselves outcasts, but they're just crying out "HEY YOU! NOTICE ME!!! I'M HERE!!!" Gay people are closer to being like "Hey, uh, we'd just like you to respect our right to live as we feel best suits us." There's a big difference there.

As for your argument on mental health, I don't think you even understood what I said, so I'm going to have to try and rephrase it. Gay people do not have a mental illness, because without the crap being thrown at them from the outside (eg, dumb jocks beating them up for being gay, you telling them that they're going to burn in hell for being born the way they were...) there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. They're different from you, but not inferior to you. They don't have to worry about mental illness controlling them, because homosexuality is not an illness. It's simply the way they are, and there is nothing wrong with that.
FETUS wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote:
good we agree, so anybody can choose to marry or not marry someone of the opposite sex.
Im so glad we got that taken care of :roll:
No, we obviously don't have that taken care of, because you know damn well that is not what I meant.
:roll:
FETUS wrote:
OneThirty8 wrote:
Cuz being a bigot is all about seeing people for what they are and wanting them to do good instead of what there disease tells them to do.
Who the hell are you to decide what is 'GOOD' for anyone but yourself? If you hear voices that aren't there, that's an actual disease. These people we're talking about could live perfectly normal and productive lives if people like you would stay the hell out of their business.
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

I have no respect for anyone who misquotes someone and can't come up with any counter argument other then insults, and harsh ones at that.
TreyDay
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by TreyDay »

OneThirty8 wrote:Really? So, you're making the assertion that because in the Middle East 2500-3000 years ago or more, people were accepting of their inner feelings, and somebody else thought it was kinda icky so they wrote it down in a book that they were carrying around, that somehow has any relevance to modern society? I mean, in some of the great civilizations of Europe, homosexuality was widely accepted. Alexander the Great is believed to have been a homosexual, and he conquered a whole lot of places.
And look at those "great" countries now. And look at the Roman and Greek empires. Look at them now too. They accepted homosexual behavior. Look at them now. Look at them! I tried to tell people before that accepting homosexual behavior is not accepted by God, but if you don't believe in God, then you probably don't believe that. But... the proof is in the puddin.
You don't work, you don't eat.
You don't grind, you shine.
-Mike Jones

281-330-8004, when someone picks up, ask for Mike Jones!

"It's [TreyDay] baby, I'm stackin my cheddar/plus I'm packin mo' heat than a Bill Cosby sweater"